A simple house salad that is light and fresh with a tasty red wine vinaigrette makes this a wonderful side salad or main salad that you can serve with any meal.
I am a huge fan of salad since it is a great way to get your veggies in. This classic house salad has been my go-to for months. I have also been loving this kale and quinoa salad, this caesar salad, and this brussels sprouts salad.
This healthy side salad is going to become a new family favorite! It is so quick and easy to make and it goes with so many things like pasta, pizza, or even meatloaf. It is full of crisp, fresh veggies, crunchy croutons, and the most amazing zesty vinaigrette that brings it all together.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It is a delicious, fresh house salad that goes with everything!
- Light, and crisp with a tasty dressing that is so good!
- It makes the best side salad or main salad that you can serve with any meal.
- You can easily make it ahead and dress it when you are ready to serve it.
This is also a great restaurant-style salad that you can make at home every day! Think classic Olive Garden Salad, minus the olives, which you could of course add in!
House salad ingredients
This house salad recipe is made with only a few simple ingredients like romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, red onion, and the most delicious red wine vinaigrette dressing that makes this an easy salad you can make every day!
Here is what you will need:
- Romaine lettuce – I chose to use romaine lettuce but you could also use iceberg lettuce, baby spinach, or even kale.
- Cherry tomatoes – sliced in half. You could also use chopped Roma tomatoes.
- Carrots – chopped, shredded or store-bought matchstick carrots will all work.
- Cucumber – seedless English cucumber cut into smaller pieces.
- Red onion – chopped into small pieces or sliced thin. You could also use shallots.
- Croutons – I used Olivia’s gluten free croutons. Any croutons will work. So choose your favorite!
- Dressing – red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic powder, oregano, maple syrup, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
How to make a house salad
*Be sure to check out the free printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions at the bottom of this post.
- Mix up the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a mason jar and shaking it well to emulsify.
- Add all of the salad ingredients (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, red onion, croutons) to a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss it all together. Top with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. This gives it that Olive Garden salad taste that we all love so much!
- Switch up the dressing – you can use so many different dressings in this recipe like Caesar dressing, Italian salad dressing, or even a green goddess dressing.
- Chop the veggies in smaller sizes – cutting the veggies in this salad into smaller size shapes makes it easier to mix and eat!
- Make it ahead – to make this salad ahead of time, chop all of the veggies, and mix up the dressing. Store everything separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Then just assemble and dress the salad when you are ready to enjoy it!
This classic house salad goes with so many things. Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve it!
- Add some toppings – add even more crunch to this salad and top it with bacon, crispy chickpeas, vegan parmesan cheese, or some nuts like almonds or pistachios. You could also top it with some crumbled feta cheese, olives, or sliced avocado.
- Serve it with some soup or chili – this salad makes a great side salad served with soups like butternut squash soup, tomato soup, or chili.
- Add some protein – you can easily make this salad a hearty main meal by adding some sliced chicken breast, salmon, or hard-boiled eggs.
- Pair it with some pasta – serve it as a side with some pumpkin lasagna, or skinny spinach lasagna rolls ups.
- Pizza – salad and a pizza pair so well together. Serve it with some naan pizza, zucchini pizza boats, or this chickpea flour pizza.
This house salad is stored best if you store it undressed. You can store the dressing in a mason jar fitted with a lid, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just give it a good shake when you are ready to use it.
The veggies can be combined and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 days. When you are ready to serve it, just assemble and dress it!
More healthy salad recipes
- Easy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Amazing Carrot Raisin Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Easy Kale Salad
Did you try this classic house salad recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how it turned out!Print