This creamy and crunchy Carrot Raisin Salad is the perfect side dish to any meal. It has a wonderful fresh and slightly sweet flavor from the raisins and the most amazing creamy dressing that brings it to a whole new level. Plus, it is dairy-free, paleo and gluten-free!
This shredded carrot salad with raisins is great for parties, bbq’s and even Easter. Kid’s and adults will love the crunchy texture and the crazy good creamy dressing. It is slightly sweet thanks to the raisins and the apple and it is a fun spin on the traditional carrot raisin salad that many of us grew up eating.
Why you will just love this recipe
- You can make it in 5 minutes or less
- It is so creamy and delicious
- Great texture and crunch
- Perfect for entertaining
- Perfect healthy side dish
- Gluten Free
Carrot Raisin Salad Ingredients
- Shredded carrots – you can use store-bought shredded carrots or shred your own. I prefer shredding or cutting whole carrots since they tend to have more flavor than pre shredded carrots.
- Apple – I used a gala apple that was perfectly sweet that I julienned so it matched the shape of the shredded carrots.
- Raisins – a combination of black and golden raisins really gives this carrot salad great color but feel free to use either or.
- Pecans – these give the salad even more crunch
- Avocado mayo – I used Primal Kitchen. I also like Sir Kensington’s brand.
- Maple syrup – this gives the dressing a nice hint of sweetness. Feel free to leave it out if you prefer to.
- Lemon – the lemon really brings a nice, fresh and tangy flavor to this salad
- Salt and pepper – to enhance all of the wonderful flavors
Other substitutions and recipe variations
Here are some variations to this carrot salad recipe that would also work great!
- Chopped pineapple
- Walnuts, pistachios or sliced almonds
- Shredded zucchini
- Dried cranberries or currants
- Plain Greek Yogurt
How to make a Carrot Raisin Salad
You can make this easy salad in under 5 minutes.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix up the dressing and pour it over the salad and toss.
- Top with chopped mint, if desired and serve!
How to make ahead and store
To make this salad ahead of time, add all of the ingredients to a bowl, except the apple and the dressing. Mix up the dressing and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Store the rest of the salad (minus the apple) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
When you are ready to serve the salad, remove it from the refrigerator, shred the apple and add it to the salad. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve and enjoy!
You can store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days after you have assembled it.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- You can use store-bought carrots if you are short on time but cutting (I like to julienne them in this recipe) your own, will give the salad a lot more flavor.
- Try adding some shredded zucchini for extra color and nutrition. Yum!
- Can you make this recipe vegan? Yes, you can use vegan mayo in place of the avocado mayo to make this recipe vegan.
- Is this recipe Whole30? No, it is not because of the maple syrup but you could omit it or use date syrup or pineapple juice as the sweetener in the dressing to make it Whole30 compliant.
- How many carbs are in carrot raisin salad? This recipe only has about 14-16 grams of carbs in it.
More Healthy Salad Recipes to try!
- Creamy BBQ Chicken Salad
- Easy Kale Salad with Lemon
- Quick and Easy Salmon Salad
- Simple Orange Citrus Salad
- Easy Beet and Goat cheese Salad
Better yet, you can check out all of my quick and easy healthy salads here.
More healthy carrot recipes
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print