This healthy eggplant parmesan is an easy, lighter Italian dish that you can make in under 20 minutes with the help of your air fryer. It tastes fried but contains no oil and is a wonderful hearty meatless meal that your whole family will love!
This super easy Healthy Eggplant Parmesan has everything you want in any kind of Parmesan recipe, similar to this portobello mushroom parmesan that is also epic. This recipe is made in the air-fryer, contains no oil but is crazy crispy and tastes fried.
My husbands favorite meal in the world is chicken parmesan. It is not the healthiest meal but it is his number one, go-to meal when he wants to indulge. Of course we have not gone out much lately, probably like most of you, so I have had to get very creative with making meals at home more and more.
That is why I have created this lighter Healthy Eggplant Parmesan that is much better for you and is super crispy and delicious. It also contains no oil or frying but totally tastes like it’s fried.
I know, how is that possible? Well, it is, I promise. Thanks to the invention of the air-fryer that absolutely has changed the way I cook and eat. Which now is with less oil coupled with less time waiting for the oven to cook my food, haha. All because this new appliance cooks food faster and more efficiently.
So in case you do not have an air fryer yet, I hope his amazing recipe convinces you to make the investment. It is worth it, I swear.
Why you will love this recipe
- It’s a lighter version of chicken parmesan but tastes just as good.
- Made in the air-fryer but can also be baked in the oven.
- It contains no oil and no deep frying.
- Super low in calories and contains lots of nutrients from the eggplant
- You can make this in under 20 minutes for a quick weeknight meal!
Is eggplant good for you?
Eggplant is a super delicious, low-calorie vegetable you can use to add some variety and nutrition to any meal. It is so versatile and can be used in so many eggplant recipes like in these baked eggplant meatballs or these healthy baked eggplant fries.
Eggplant is full of nutrition. It is a great source of vitamins and minerals, helps improve digestion, improves bone health, prevents diseases like cancer, and is great for heart health. Click here to read more about the nutrition in eggplant.
Is eggplant parmesan healthy?
Well, typically baked or fried eggplant parmesan is not really healthy since it is breaded and fried or baked and contains 350 calories and 47% fat per serving.
But this air fryer eggplant parmesan is healthy since I omitted the oil and frying and cooked it in the air-fryer, which gives it a fried texture and taste but requires no oil at all. Making it only 133 calories per serving with only 5 grams of fat. Isn’t that great!
Ingredients needed to make this healthy eggplant parmesan
How to make healthy eggplant parmesan in the air-fryer
- Slice the eggplant. Cut the ends off of the eggplant then slice it into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Then place the sliced eggplant onto a clean paper towel to dry a bit.
- Make the breading mixture. Combine the breadcrumbs + parmesan cheese + garlic powder + parsley + salt & pepper and mix to combine into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Prep the air fryer. Preheat the air-fryer to 390 degrees F (usually takes about 5 minutes to preheat).
- Dredge the eggplant. Set up a dredging station. Crack the eggs into a separate shallow bowl, season them with a pinch of salt and pepper, and lightly whisk them. Place the breadcrumb mixture next to the egg mixture and the sliced eggplant. Then dredge each slice of the eggplant in the egg then in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs into the eggplant as you dredge it. Then place the breaded eggplant onto a baking sheet or plate.
- Cook the eggplant. Once the air-fryer is preheated, open the air fryer and spray the basket with olive oil cooking spray. Working in batches, place 4 slices of eggplant, or as many as you can fit in a single layer into the air- fryer basket and spray each piece of eggplant with more olive oil spray. Cook at 390 degrees for 8 minutes, turning each piece over and spraying the other side with cooking spray halfway through the cooking time.
- After the eggplant is cooked, top it with the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Melt the cheese. Cook for 2 more minutes in the air fryer to melt the cheese.
- Serve warm. Top with fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and enjoy!!!
Get the full list of ingredients and recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
I mean this healthy eggplant parmesan is so delicious and only takes 20 minutes to make and is even better than baked eggplant parmesan. A healthier, lighter Italian dish that you can easily make in no time at all.
Plus eggplant is super inexpensive and in season, so go get some and make this amazing recipe.
Oh and it tastes even better the next day with a fried egg on top for breakfast. So good!
My mom literally ate this 3 times in one week (as I was testing it) and is already asking for the recipe to make it again. It’s that good.
What to serve with this Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
This recipe is great as a meal all on it’s own but here are some healthy side dishes that I love to serve with this recipe.
- Salad. Such as this Easy Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing, this Easy Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad or this Italian Chopped Salad.
- Squash. Such as this Butternut Squash Noodles Bowl, this Best Mashed Butternut Squash or this Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash.
- More veggies. Like these Roasted Carrots or this Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli
More Air Fryer Recipes You Will Also Love
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Here are some of my faves!
- No Oil Sweet Potato Wedges
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Easy Baked Eggplant Fries – With Air Fryer Option
- Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries
- 15 Minute Crispy Air-Fryer Breaded Chicken Breast
Recipe tips for making this Eggplant Parmesan
- Buy an eggplant that is shiny and dark purple in color, medium in size, and heavy. That means it is super ripe. You also want to purchase one that is relatively even in size so your eggplant rounds are as equal as possible.
- Store the whole eggplant in a cool dry place for 1-2 days after purchase and then make this recipe, haha.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- To make this recipe vegan, use vegan parmesan and vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Store the cooked eggplant parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days once it is fully cooked + cooled. It is really delicious with a fried egg on top for breakfast.
- To make this is the oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Follow the recipe as directed but use the oven instead of the air-fryer. Bake the eggplant for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for 7 more minutes on the other side. Top with sauce and cheese, place back in the oven for 3-4 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Make it even better and use this Simple Homemade San Marzano Tomato Sauce.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a comment and rating below.Print