These Homemade Air Fryer Bagels only require 3 main ingredients (no yeast), take less than 20 minutes to make and they are totally gluten free. They come out so fluffy and are perfect for sandwiches or just toasting and topping with cream cheese.
Simple Homemade Air Fryer Bagels
These Air Fryer Bagels are life-changing. Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it but if you are like most people that have gone gluten free, had to adapt to being gluten free or have family members and friends that are gluten free then you will likely feel the same way I do about these bagels.
Add in the fact that they are made completely in the air fryer and it is just the PERFECT healthy + comforting Recipe ever!
Now, there are 3 main ingredients with a couple other ingredients as well, making these 3 ingredient bagels a MUST TRY recipe. If you are not making this recipe gluten free then they really truly only require 3 ingredients.
I recently polled a Gluten Free Facebook group about what they miss the most after going Gluten Free and BAGELS were at the top of the list.
I also asked a similar question to an air fryer group, what recipe are you wanting to try in your air fryer but haven’t tried yet? and…you guessed it, BAGELS were one of the most common answers. I set out to solve this problem for everyone since I myself love a good bagel but rarely eat gluten and I am obsessed with my air fryer, if you haven’t noticed.
Why you will love this EPIC recipe
- Very easy, simple recipe that only requires 3 main ingredients
- Perfectly fluffy, flavourful bagels – Yes Please!
- Gluten FREE!!!!!
- NO YEAST + NO BOILING REQUIRED
- Packed with protein and REAL ingredients
- These bagels store great so this is a wonderful meal prep recipe
- So FUN to make!
Tips for making gluten free bagels
- Use a good quality gluten free all purpose flour that has Xanthan Gum in it. The xanthan gum will help the dough stay together by locking in moisture and allowing the dough to hold its structure as it cooks. To know if the flour has xanthan gum in it you can check out the flour ingredients on the back of the flour bag/box and if it is not listed in the ingredients then it likely does not contain xanthan gum. The best flour for this recipe that I found during testing was Bob’s Red Mill 1 for 1 All Purpose Flour. This is not a sponsored post, it was just the best one.
- You want to make sure to use plain Greek yogurt in this recipe. I used full fat but also tested this recipe with fat free and it was still delicious. Regular yogurt will not work in this recipe. To ensure the greek yogurt doesn’t have too much water in it, I suggest straining the yogurt first using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any excess moisture. This will ensure you don’t wind up with bagels that are too doughy in the center after they cook.
- For extra fluffy bagels I added an egg white that I whisked until frothy as well as 2 teaspoons of baking powder. This is totally optional but it resulted in super fluffy bagels. As shown in the photos in this post.
- To get that extra shine and golden brown outer layer on the bagels, make sure to brush them with egg wash and cook as instructed in the recipe. The egg wash also helps the seasoning stick to the bagels.
- If the dough seems too sticky you can add in a little bit more flour.
- To knead the dough faster you can use the dough hook attachment on a stand mixer and place the bagel dough into the stand mixer bowl and let the mixer knead it for 10-20 seconds. Don’t let it mix for too long or the dough will get stickier.
- To get nice smooth bagels, dip your finger in water and run it around the edges and tops of the bagels to smooth them out.
Ingredients needed to make Air Fryer Bagels
How to make gluten free air Fryer bagels
- Combine the flour with the salt. Add in the baking powder, if using.
- Add in the yogurt and whisked egg white, if using. Mix using a fork or rubber spatula until the dough is wet but still slightly crumbly in large doughy pieces. At this point you can either turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it into a round ball of dough or use a stand mixer to do the work for you.
- Once you have your ball of dough, cut it into 4 equal pieces of dough and roll each piece of dough out into a 5 inch long, 3/4 inch thick rope. Continue until you have rolled all of the pieces of dough.
- Then form the bagels by bringing the ends of each rolled piece of dough together and pinch the ends to secure them.
- Lightly whisk the egg yolk with 1 teaspoon ofwater and use a pastry brush to brush the tops and sides of each bagel. Then sprinkle on your toppings. I used everything bagel seasoning and some sesame seeds. I also like to make a few plain bagels for the kids.
- Preheat the air fryer to 290 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the bagels in a single layer about 2 inches apart into the air fryer basket and cook them for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, increase the temperature to 325 degrees F and cook the bagels for 5 more minutes to get the tops and edges nice and golden brown. Continue until you have cooked all four bagels.
- Once the bagels are done cooking, remove them from the air fryer and allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before digging in.
The BEST healthy bagels
These air fryer bagels are so simple yet so delicious and nobody will even believe they are gluten free. Fluffy but just chewy enough to give all the bagel feels. Plus they are made with real ingredients and thanks to the Greek yogurt they contain lots of protein.
These bagels are very similar to the 2 Ingredient Bagels you have likely heard of and this recipe was adapted from SkinnyTaste.com. I altered the recipe a bit to make it Air Fryer and Gluten Free-Friendly. Using the air fryer allows these bagels to cook in less time with the same fluffy-delicious result as baking them.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Sesame Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Dried garlic
- Dried onion
I tested this recipe a lot a few different ways. Here are the variations that work with these air fryer bagels.
- Switch up the flour. You can use any gluten free all purpose flour that has xanthan gum in it as mentioned above. I tested this recipe with a Sprouted Grain Gluten Free Four (Jessica’s Natural Foods), King Arthur’s Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten free flour. Bob’s Red Mill yielded the best results, in my opinion.
- Change up the toppings. I used everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds as well as just egg wash and salt. All were great on these gluten free bagels.
- Make them egg free. To make this recipe egg free, you can leave out the egg whites and simply add 2 teaspoons baking powder to the dough along with the salt and flour. Use melted vegan butter or olive oil cooking spray in place of the egg wash.
- Bake them in the oven. To make these air fryer bagels in the oven, place them onto a lined baking sheet once you have formed and topped them and bake them on the top rack of the oven at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool.
How to freeze and store these bagels
- To store these bagels: Wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, you can reheat them in the air fryer or slice and toast them in the toaster.
- Freezing these bagels: To freeze these bagels, let them cool completely and wrap each bagel tightly in plastic wrap. Transfer the wrapped bagels to a freezer-friendly ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 30 days. When ready to eat, place them in the refrigerator overnight or remove one straight from the freezer and packaging, wrap it in a clean paper towel, defrost it in the microwave for 20 seconds and slice and toast it. It’s so good!
- You can make the dough ahead of time and store it in a container covered with plastic wrap, tightly and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When ready to use, you can pinch off some of the dough, roll it out, egg wash and top it and cook it in the air fryer and you have a homemade gluten free bagel just like that!
More healthy air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Falafel
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print