This super simple Homemade Italian Dressing is the perfect quick and easy recipe for making your own dressing at home. It requires only a few ingredients and you can make it in under 5 minutes!
Ever since I had my kids I have been weary of the ingredients in store bought staples like salad dressing. Which is why I pretty much always make my own like this easy Homemade Italian Dressing that is so delicious and loaded with robust Italian flavors.
My family loves this salad dressing! We use it on healthy salads, chicken, fish and even veggies since it doubles as a dressing and a marinade. How great is that? It is BEST drizzled on top of this Italian Chopped Salad, which is so good!
Why you will just love this recipe!
- It’s bright and full of bold flavors!
- Easy to make in under 5 minutes
- Gluten free
- Easily made Whole30
- Stores great so it is perfect for meal prep!
- You can use it as a dressing or a marinade
Ingredients you will need to make this homemade dressing
Wondering what this robust Italian Dressing is made of? Here are the ingredients in this dressing.
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Maple syrup – optional for a hint of sweetness
How to make homemade Italian dressing
It really couldn’t be easier to make this homemade Italian dressing. Here are the simple steps to follow.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine or you can add them to a jar fitted with a tight lid and shake to blend all of the ingredients together.
- Pour onto a salad and enjoy or store and use as a marinade.
What type of vinegar works best in Italian dressing?
You could use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in this dressing. Balsamic vinegar would also work.
What herbs are in Italian salad dressing?
Italian salad dressing usually has a mixture of herbs like oregano, basil, rosemary or even chives. In this recipe I chose to use Italian seasoning since it combines all of the best Italian herbs all in one seasoning blend. I paired that with some garlic, onion and chili powder to give it a more robust Italian flavor. It is so good!
Substitutions and variations
- You can use olive oil or avocado oil in this recipe
- Other vinegars like apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar will also work in this recipe.
- Switch up the herbs and use dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley or even dried thyme or rosemary.
- Not a garlic fan? You can leave it out if you prefer. It will still be delicious!
- Want to make this dressing recipe Whole30? You could replace the maple syrup with date syrup or just leave it out.
What Salad goes best with Italian dressing?
How do you store this dressing?
Storing: This Italian dressing is best enjoyed right away but it also stores great in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before you use it, make sure to shake it up since it can separate while being stored. I like to add a teaspoon of lemon juice to freshen it up.
More healthy homemade salad dressings to try:
- The Best Kale Salad Dressing
- 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing
- Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 5 Minute Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Healthy Caesar salad Dressing
Did you try this salad dressing recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print