Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
This Kale and brussels sprout salad starts with shredded Brussels sprouts and sliced kale as the base of the salad. Then it is filled with tart-dried cranberries, crunchy pistachios, crisp red onion, and creamy parmesan cheese. It is sure to be a hit at your next family gathering or simply as a colorful side for any meal!
Shredded Brussels sprouts and kale make the best base for this salad. The addition of the sliced red onion, cranberries, pistachios, and parmesan really adds some nice complimentary flavors as well as colors, making this salad a sure WINNER!
I really love to serve this kale and brussels sprouts salad for the holidays or just as a healthy side for any dinner. It is so quick and easy to make but packed with so much flavor and crunch. This is the type of salad that can actually turn salad haters into salad lovers. TRUST ME, It is that good!
Kale salads are sort of my thing, and this one is my new favorite!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It is an easy salad that everyone will go crazy for.
- Packed with flavorful, nutritious ingredients!
- A crunchy, tangy, hearty salad that could be a meal all on its own.
- Very easy to make in only a few simple steps.
- Makes the perfect veggie-loaded salad for the holidays!
- Colorful, fresh and so DELICIOUS!
Kale Brussels Sprout Salad Ingredients and Substitutions
- Brussels sprouts – fresh and not frozen. You can slice them yourself (which takes about 5 minutes) or you can buy pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at most grocery stores. I prefer fresh in this recipe since they are nice and crisp and flavorful.
- Kale – I used Lacinato (also known as dark kale, dinosaur kale, and Tuscan kale) since I really love the contrast of colors. Curly kale will also work.
- Red onion – also known as purple onion. Shallots would work as well.
- Dried Cranberries – I used low-sugar dried cranberries.
- Pistachios – chopped almonds or pecans would work as well. They add a nice nutty, crunchy flavor and texture to this salad.
- Shredded parmesan cheese – you could also use pecorino romano cheese.
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon – juice, and zest
- Maple syrup – real maple syrup
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make a kale and brussels sprouts salad
- Shred/slice the Brussels sprouts – you can use a sharp kitchen knife or a food processor.
- Add the sliced Brussels sprouts, and sliced kale to a large bowl. Top with the dried cranberries, pistachios, and sliced red onion.
- Mix up the lemon dijon dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- For the best results use fresh Brussels sprouts and slice them yourself. Pre-shredded Brussels sprouts have less flavor and color than fresh. A sharp kitchen knife and cutting board work great and it only takes about 5 minutes. So worth it!
- Massage the kale with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt before your add the Brussels sprouts and the rest of the ingredients. This helps it break down and become softer.
- If you are making this salad ahead of time assemble the salad but do not add the dressing until you are ready to serve it.
What goes with kale and brussel sprout salad?
We love to serve this salad with some crispy breaded chicken breast for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It also goes great with some glazed ham or stuffed pork tenderloin for the holidays.
Brussels sprouts can be eaten raw or cooked, that is up to you. If you are eating them raw then you want to make sure to pick Brussels which is fresh, dark green in color, and with little to no dark spots on them. And wash them really well before you eat them.
In this recipe, the Brussels sprouts are not bitter at all since they are sliced thin and combined with other fresh and flavorful ingredients that really make them have incredible flavor and crunch as well as texture.
This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to make it ahead then you can assemble the salad and store it, undressed in an airtight container, and mix and store the dressing separately. Then just dress it when you are ready to serve it.
More kale salad recipes!
- Chopped Kale Salad With Quinoa
- Easy Strawberry Kale Salad
- Kale Quinoa Salad
- Easy Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Kale Caesar Salad
Did you make this kale and brussels sprouts salad recipe? If you did, then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how it turned out!Print
Simple Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Crunchy, tangy, slightly sweet, and full of vibrant, fresh ingredients. This Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad will be your new favorite salad! Super simple to make, no cooking required and it’s gluten-free and easily adaptable for almost any dietary needs.
For the salad
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts – sliced thin
- 2 cups lacinato kale – thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon – about 2 teaspoons of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add the thinly sliced Brussel sprouts, kale, onion, pistachios, and dried cranberries to a large mixing bowl or salad bowl.
- Make the dressing: Add the dijon mustard, lemon juice and zest, maple syrup, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to combine while adding in a slow stream of olive oil to add some creaminess to the dressing. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss to combine. Then top with the grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Shred the brussel sprouts yourself rather than buying pre-shredded, if you can. It is less expensive and you end up with crisper, more flavorful brussel sprouts. To shred them, slice off the ends, remove the first layer of leaves from each, slice in half and place them into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times. You can also slice each brussel sprout thinly with a sharp kitchen knife if you don’t have a food processor.
- Prep the kale in advance. You can rinse and slice the kale into long ribbons a couple of days in advance. To store the prepared kale, wrap it in some paper towels and place it into a ziplock bag, seal tightly and store it in the fridge. I do this weekly for my meal prep and I always have it on hand and ready to go anytime!
- For meat-eaters, you can add in some cooked, chopped bacon or even shredded chicken for added protein.
- Add in some chickpeas or crispy baked tofu to make this a complete meat-free meal! You can even serve this alongside these Baked Eggplant Meatballs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Quick and easy salads
- Method: Assembled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kale and Brussels sprouts salad, kale, Brussels sprouts, salad
There is certainly a lot to know about
this subject. I love all of the points
you have made. https://www.myozen.ca
Thank you Dyan!
My new fav chopped salad! I left the cranberries off (bc u know, carbs), and added rotisserie chicken & kalamata olives- my husband and I gobbled it down!!!
Thank you Kathy!!!!! I am so glad you liked it.
This salad was so delicious & so easy to make! I didn’t have pistachios so I subbed pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) & it was great. Adding this to my “tried & true” recipes list! Thanks for sharing this!!
Hi Ruby! I am so glad you liked it!
I made this for thanksgiving and it was a huge hit and have been craving it in the daily!