This air fryer salmon is seasoned simply with oil, salt and pepper and is cooked in the air fryer until perfectly golden. It is the best way to cook salmon and is an easy weeknight recipe that goes great with your favorite side dishes. Gluten free, paleo, whole30.
Air fryer salmon is literally one of the best methods for cooking salmon to perfection every single time. I know that is a lot to claim up front but TRUST ME, it is totally true! Once I started making salmon in the air fryer like this cajun salmon and these salmon patties, I was hooked! I know you will be too.
One of the best parts about making salmon is that it goes with so many things so it is easy to make it a complete meal. We love to serve it with our favorite sides like this roasted asparagus, sautéed spinach or air fryer broccoli.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is the very best way to cook salmon!
- Wonderfully crispy yet tender, succulent salmon every single time.
- Packed with flavor and nutrition.
- Probably one of the easiest recipes for salmon.
- It makes a quick and easy protein for dinner you can make in minutes!
- Gluten free, paleo, low carb and whole30.
Ingredients for air fryer salmon
Salmon – fresh, wild caught is best in this recipe, see below for how to cook frozen salmon.
Avocado oil – to brush on the salmon so it get’s perfectly crispy on the outside.
Salt & pepper – to add amazing flavor to the fish
How To Make Air Fryer Salmon
- Rinse the salmon lightly under cold water then pat each filet dry with a clean paper towel.
- Brush each filet all over with avocado oil then season each filet well with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the seasoned salmon into the air fryer in a single layer, making sure it is not overlapping or touching.
- Close and cook the salmon at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes. Note: the cook time will depend on the size and thickness of your salmon filets. A 6 oz salmon filet that is about 1-inch thick will take around 10 minutes to fully cook.
Ways to serve salmon
- Salad – A fresh salad is the perfect side for air fryer salmon. It is light and vibrant and you can easily throw it together while the salmon is cooking. Try it with this easy beet and goat cheese salad or this strawberry kale salad for a light and healthy meal.
- Veggies – Salmon, of course goes great with any roasted veggies like roasted mushrooms or zucchini.
- Potatoes – We love to serve salmon with a potato side for a heartier meal. Try it with these smashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or oven roasted potatoes and asparagus.
Tips for making salmon in the air fryer
- Select salmon filets that are similar in size and thickness so they cook evenly and at the same time. In this recipe I used 2-6 oz salmon filets that were about 1.5 inches thick each.
- Make sure to preheat your air fryer, if needed. If your air fryer has a preheat option then make sure you do this since it helps the fried salmon get nice and crispy all around.
- Season the salmon well and use a little bit of oil. You want to lightly brush the salmon all over with the oil then season it well, all over with the salt and pepper for perfectly crispy, well flavored salmon.
- Space the salmon apart in the air fryer basket. You want to make sure not to over crowd the basket, so place the salmon about 1.5-2 inches apart so it gets nice and crispy all over. If the salmon is touching then some of the sides of it will not crisp up as nicely.
- Spray the basket with non-aerosol cooking spray to prevent sticking. If you are using salmon filets that have the skin-on then it may stick to your air fryer basket. So make sure to spray the basket first before adding the salmon so this doesn’t happen.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a great question and it really depends on a number of factors like, budget, aesthetic, plus how many people you will be cooking for most of the time. I have a family of four and I love the Cosori 5.6 quart air fryer. It is the perfect size for my family and it cleans very well. I have also heard that the Instant Plus Vortex Air Fryer is great!
You can use froze salmon, but I really think that fresh salmon delivers the best results. If you are using frozen salmon then make sure to thaw it according to the package instructions then follow these air fryer salmon recipe steps.
It just results in the most perfectly cooked salmon that is flavourful, succulent and tender every time. Using the air fryer to cook salmon is pretty much a foolproof method, especially if you are new to cooking fish.
This will depend on the size and thickness of your salmon. In general, most salmon will cook between 9-11 minutes. For example, if you are using 6 oz salmon filets that are about 1-1.5 inches thick each then it will take about 10 minutes for them to cook in the air fryer.
You can easily cook and store the salmon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It reheats nicely in the air fryer at 330 degrees F for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Sausage and Veggies
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Amazing Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Other Salmon Recipes To Try!
- Quick and Easy Salmon Salad
- Sheet Pan Salmon With Green Beans and Potatoes
- Easy Salmon Tacos
- Grilled Salmon Kabobs
I cannot wait you you guys to try this air fryer salmon recipe! It is just so delicious and perfect for a light and fast meal you can make any day of the week. It is also great for meal prep!
Did you try this salmon recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how it turned out!Print