Creamy vegetarian pumpkin spinach lasagna that is the perfect weekday healthy dinner. Bright creamy pumpkin and ricotta filling mixed with hearty green spinach, layered between tender lasagna noodles nestled between layers of creamy cheese. A meatless main dish everyone will love!
My husband loves lasagna of any kind and this pumpkin spinach lasagna was no exception. The combination of the creamy pumpkin filling mixed with the ricotta cheese and spinach is everything.
We also love this Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna that we make all the time in the fall for our weekly Sunday family dinners.
Why you will simply love this Pumpkin Spinach Lasagna
- Fun and easy to make with only a few ingredients like spinach, cheese, and pumpkin.
- A great healthy fall family meal everyone will love!
- Meat-free and easily made vegan.
- Hearty spinach, creamy cheese and pumpkin, a perfect combo of great flavors
- Kid-friendly and husband approved!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make pumpkin spinach lasagna
- Sauté’ the spinach: heat up a pan with some olive oil, add the onions and cook until translucent. Then add in the garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add in the spinach and turn it in the pan to mix it in with the onions and garlic until wilted. Let cool.
- While the spinach is cooking, you can prepare the pumpkin filling. Add the pumpkin puree to a medium-size bowl. Pour in the plant-based milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
3. Mix up the ricotta cheese filling: Add the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan, mozzarella, oregano, salt, and pepper to a medium-size bowl and mix.
4. Add the cooked, cool spinach mixture to the ricotta cheese filling and fold it in. So good!
5. Now it’s time to build the layers. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9×13 pan or lasagna pan with cooking spray. To layer: Spread 1/3 cup of the pumpkin filling in the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Place 4-5 lasagna noodles into the bottom of the pan to cover the pumpkin filling. Top the noodles with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella, and more of the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle some of the parmesan cheese over the pumpkin filling and repeat: Noodles + Cheese filing+mozzarella+Pumpkin Filing+plus remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
6. Cover with foil and bake covered for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake until golden brown – about another 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove. let cool and top with fresh herbs like basil and parsley.
It’s so creamy good! The flavors in this pumpkin spinach lasagna are everything I love about fall! Warm spices, comforting pumpkin, and heart-healthy spinach all in one delicious lasagna.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- For the greens you can use spinach or kale, both work. You can use frozen spinach but you will have to thaw it, ring out the excess liquid, and then sauté it.
- To make this recipe vegan, use dairy-free ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. There are a lot of vegan lasagna noodles that are pretty good. My fav is lentil lasagna noodles but you would need to cook them per the package instructions before layering the lasagna.
- You can use any lasagna noodles in this recipe. I opted for no-boil lasagna noodles, which you can also buy gluten-free, which I love! If you use whole wheat noodles then you will need to boil them per the package instructions before layering the lasagna.
- Mashed or canned sweet potato or even butternut squash are all alternatives to the pumpkin in this recipe but I think the pumpkin is the best!
- You can leave this recipe vegetarian or add in some crumbled, cooked sausage or ground turkey and add it as a layer or mix it in with the ricotta cheese filling.
- You can store this lasagna covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. It just gets better as it sits. Great for meal prep!
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print