This homemade Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup is so tasty and simple. Only a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make. The perfect hint of herbs matched with the creamy, smooth texture of blended tomatoes and a little cream creates this simply amazing soup. Vegan + Gluten-Free!
It is colder weather season and all I want to do is curl up with a good book and a nice warm bowl of this healthy creamy tomato soup. Well, that and maybe a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it.
I love this soup for it’s simplicity and smooth creamy texture without any added dairy. The creaminess comes from blended tomatoes with cooked onions, carrots, celery and garlic mixed with some coconut milk stirred in at the end. I added some vegan parmesan cheese and it melted perfectly on the top. So good!
We are also loving this creamy vegan asparagus soup that is also dairy free and super simple to make.
Why you will just love this creamy tomato soup
- Requires only a few simple ingredients
- Very easy to make
- A soup everyone can enjoy since it is vegan + gluten-free
- Stores and freezes well for those nights when you don’t feel like cooking
- Smooth, creamy and herby without any added dairy.
Is tomato soup healthy?
Most tomato soup is healthy with the exception of tomato bisque which usually has loads of butter, heavy cream and white flour in it.
This creamy tomato soup is very healthy since it uses only a few simple healthy ingredients like canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, and creamy coconut milk.
Can you freeze tomato soup?
Tomato soup freezes very well for up to 2 months. Probably longer, but I think 2 months is best. You can portion it in single serving freezer-friendly containers and thaw it in the fridge overnight, then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave when ready to eat. Super simple.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make homemade creamy tomato soup
- Heat up oil in a large pot and add in onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add in the carrots, celery, and garlic. Season everything with salt and pepper, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Then add in the tomato paste. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until you can smell the tomato paste. Stir in the flour and cook for another few minutes.
3. Place the tomatoes into a large bowl and break them up using your hands or a potato masher. Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot along with the vegetable stock, Italian seasoning and some more salt and pepper for flavor.
4. Stir that all together, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before blending it up. You can blend it up in batches in a blender then return it to the pot or use an immersion blender to blend it right in the pot.
5. Pour in the coconut milk, if using for a nice creamy finish.
6. Separate into bowls and top with more cream, red pepper flakes and fresh basil. Pair with a nice crispy grilled cheese sandwich. Yum!
It’s so simple and delicious and an easy soup recipe you can whip up any day of the week. I just love that it uses ingredients I usually have and takes not time at all to make.
- I used whole canned tomatoes but you can also use diced tomatoes in this recipe. I suggest using a good organic brand since the tomatoes are the highlight of this recipe. San Marzano tomatoes are the brand that I used.
- For the Italian seasoning, you can use a blend of dried basil, oregano, and parsley, or store-bought Italian seasoning or even herbs de Provence (my personal favorite). When adding the herbs to the soup, rub the seasoning between your hands over the soup to bring out even more flavor.
- To keep this soup dairy-free, I used plain, full-fat canned coconut milk. If you don’t need to keep this dairy-free then you could also use heavy cream. Make sure the milk is unsweetened and full fat.
- You can store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze it in individual freezer-friendly containers for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- What to serve with this creamy tomato soup? I love this vegan sandwich or this easy kale salad with lemon dressing.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print