This quick and easy air fryer chicken sausage and veggies recipe is the perfect lazy day meal you can have on the table in minutes. It is loaded with protein and colorful vegetables and you can make it in 10 minutes! Enjoy it as a healthy dinner or lunch any day of the week!
We always have veggies and chicken sausage on hand for days when I am too tired to cook. This air fryer chicken sausage and veggies is the go-to quick meal that I make at least once a week. It’s a good amount of food that you can also enjoy for lunch or dinner the next day.
My other go-to easy meal is this air fryer roasted chicken and vegetable recipe that I make for my meal prep all the time.
Add a drizzle of some romesco sauce or homemade pesto sauce on top to make it look a little fancy and extra delicious. You can also pair it with some fluffy cauliflower rice for a hearty protein + veggie-packed meal.
Why cook chicken sausage in the air fryer?
I have cooked chicken sausage a few different ways. In the oven, on the stovetop, and in the air fryer. HANDS DOWN the air fryer yielded the best results. The chicken sausage comes out perfectly crispy around the edges and juicy and tasty without drying out at all.
Plus it makes for easier cleanup and you can cook some veggies easily along with it at the same time in 10 minutes!
It is much faster than it takes in the oven and it comes out perfectly every single time!
What vegetables cook best in the air fryer?
You can cook almost any vegetable in the air fryer. I like to use bell peppers, onion and zucchini when cooking veggies with meat since the cooking times are similar.
But you could also use, carrots, mushrooms, or green beans as well. Any quick-cooking veggies work well in the air fryer.
Ingredients needed to make air fryer chicken sausage and veggies
- Bell peppers – I used a combination of red and orange for color
- Zucchini – My favorite go-to veggie. I used about 1 medium zucchini
- Red onion – You could also use yellow or white onion in this recipe
- Chicken sausage – I used robust Italian chicken sausage that is nitrate and sugar-free
- Avocado oil – you could also use olive oil
- Spices – I used a combination of garlic, onion, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper but you can use any blend you like.
How to make chicken sausage in the air fryer with veggies
Make sure to check out the recipe card below for the full list of recipe ingredients, instructions, and nutritional information.
- Chop the veggies, drizzle them with avocado oil, mix up the spices and coat the veggies in the spices.
- Slice the sausage into 3/4-inch rounds and add it to the veggies and toss everything together.
- Cook the chicken sausage and veggies in the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 10 minutes. Per the recipe card below.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Buy good quality chicken sausage like Applegate Farms.
- Make sure to cut the veggies into the same size pieces for even cooking.
- Toss the veggies and chicken sausage in the air fryer basket halfway through cooking to ensure they get nice and crispy on all sides.
- Season the veggies well before cooking for the best flavor.
- You can omit the oil and just spray the veggies with olive oil spray to reduce the calories in this recipe although, it only requires 1 tablespoon of oil for 4-6 servings so it is still a very small amount.
To make this recipe ahead you can chop and season the veggies and sausage and keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one day. When you are ready to cook it, just give it a stir and pop it into the air fryer as directed in the recipe.
I love to serve this chicken sausage and veggies meal with a drizzle of sauce like Romesco sauce, green goddess dressing, creamy cilantro lime dressing, or pesto. It would also be great with this parmesan cheese blend.
Storing and reheating tips
To store: You can store cooked chicken sausage and veggies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat: Easily reheat in portions in the microwave or in the air fryer at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
What is the best chicken sausage to use in this recipe?
I like to use chicken sausage that is lower in fat, gluten-free, sugar-free, and organic if I can find it. Here are a few brands that I love to use.
I find that these brands are all affordable, healthy, and delicious!
Can I make this air fryer chicken sausage recipe in the oven?
Yes, you can absolutely make this in the oven. To make it in the oven, place the seasoned veggies and sausage onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
More healthy sausage recipes to try!
- Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Simple Sausage and Kale Soup
- Sausage and Pepper Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Butternut Squash
Other quick and easy air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
- Easy Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Crispy Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
- Air Fryer Crispy Smashed Potatoes