This Kale Caesar Salad is a hearty, healthy meal all on its own. Made with dark leafy kale, romaine lettuce, roasted sweet potatoes and crispy chickpeas. Topped with an amazing creamy caesar dressing that is packed with flavor. Gluten free and vegetarian.
Kale Caesar Salad is a wonderful hearty salad recipe that is a crowd-pleaser for sure! Every time I make this salad my family goes crazy for it! They pretty much love any salad I make like this Italian chopped salad and this beets and butternut squash salad.
Salad of any type is great since you can easily pack in lots of veggies and protein in one big bowl. What I love about a caesar salad is the fact that it is just so creamy and crunchy at the same time. This caesar salad recipe has crispy roasted chickpeas and roasted sweet potatoes that add a great amount of crunch plus flavor.
Why you will love this salad recipe
- Filling, hearty and nutritious.
- It’s a crowd pleaser and great for entertaining.
- Simple make-ahead meal and perfect for meal prep. I could eat this every day.
- Crisp kale and romaine are the perfect bed of greens in this salad.
- It’s vegetarian and packed with lots of plant based protein.
What is caesar salad?
A caesar salad is traditionally a tossed salad with greens, like romaine lettuce mixed in with croutons, parmesan cheese and caesar dressing. This chickpea caesar salad recipe is made slightly healthier with the addition of hearty kale, crispy chickpeas in place of the croutons and a low calorie Caesar Salad Dressing.
Ingredients needed for this chickpea kale caesar salad
- Kale + romaine lettuce – this combo really works great but you could also use all kale in this recipe.
- Sweet potatoes – perfectly roasted sweet potatoes that really add great flavor to this recipe
- Crispy chickpeas – you could use store-bought as well but the homemade version is so much better
- Walnuts – you could also use almonds, cashews or pistachios
- Red onion
- Caesar dressing – you can use a homemade caesar dressing or use store-bought.
How to make a kale caesar salad
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Chop up the sweet potato and place them onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss to coat and roast at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas. After 20 minutes, turn the sweet potatoes over and push them to one side of the baking sheet. Pour the chickpeas onto the other half of the baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with the seasoning mix. Use your hands to lightly toss the chickpeas to coat them in the oil and spices. Continue baking for 20 more minutes until they are nice and crispy.
- Prepare the rest of the salad. Add the sliced kale and romaine to a large salad bowl or platter. Drizzle with a little olive oil and lightly massage for a minute or so. Then add the rest of the ingredients along with the sweet potato and chickpeas.
- Make the healthy caesar dressing. Add all dressing ingredients to blender and blend until creamy.
- Assemble and dress the kale caesar salad. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss the salad to evenly coat the rest of the ingredients. You may not need to use all of the dressing. I use about a 1/2 cup of the dressing for the whole salad or you can plate it and then dress each portion individually.
How to store this salad
To store this salad you can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you are making this kale salad for meal prepping then store the salad and dressing separately then dress when ready to eat.
You can store the dressing in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 3 days.
What to serve with Caesar salad
- Skinny Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- Simple Instant Pot Healthy Turkey Chili
- Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
- Hearty soup: Such as this Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup or this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Baked Eggplant Meatballs
- Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash
More kale salad recipes to try!
Looking for more hearty kale salads? Here are a few reader faves!
- Simple Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad With Quinoa
- Kale Strawberry Salad
- Easy Kale Salad with Lemon
- Switch up the greens. You could swap the kale with spinach or even add in some sliced cabbage in place of the romaine lettuce. Arugula would also be great in this kale caesar salad.
- Make this recipe vegan. Simply swap the manchego cheese in the dressing with 1/4 cup cashews that have been soaked overnight in some water and leave out the greek yogurt or sub with vegan mayo.
- Want more toppings? Almonds, cranberries, or shredded carrots would all be great and add some additional taste and texture.
- Add some more protein. Grilled chicken, crispy tofu, or sliced hard-boiled eggs would add a nice bump in protein to this salad.
- You can cut the sweet potato and size and shape you like. Cut them into bits size pieces, 1-inch cubes, rounds or half circles and bake as directed in this recipe. Just note that the baking time will differ based on the size and shape you cut the sweet potatoes.
The recipe and post have been updated with better step by step photos and ingredients.
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!!Print