A Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad that is hearty, healthy and a meal all on its own. Dark leafy kale and romaine lettuce matched with amazing roasted sweet potatoes and crispy chickpeas, chopped walnuts, and red onion all topped with an amazing creamy tahini dressing. Vegetarian, easily vegan, gluten-free and a perfect meal-prep recipe!
Most people that know me, know how much I love a big, hearty, healthy salad. Pretty much every day for either lunch or dinner. Especially this new favorite Kale Caesar Salad.
I just find it easier to plan my meals if there is a daily salad on the menu. Plus, it helps me get more veggies in and allows me to be super creative.
Well, this Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes did not disappoint. It has everything and then some, that you want in a creamy, filling, hearty salad that stands on its own as a complete meal. Oh, and it can easily be made vegan. Yes!!!!
Why you will love this salad
- Filling, hearty and nutritious
- Perfectly crispy roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes that are just AMAZING!
- Crazy good creamy tahini dressing that you will want to put on everything!
- Simple make-ahead meal and perfect for meal prep. I could eat this every day.
- Crisp kale and romaine are the perfect bed of greens in this salad
- It’s vegetarian and packed with lots of plant based protein
Ingredients to make this kale caesar salad
How to make this amazing kale caesar salad
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Chop up the sweet potato into 1- inch cubes and place onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss to coat and roast at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas. After 20 minutes, turn the sweet potatoes over and push them to one side of the baking sheet. Mix up the chili powder, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the chickpeas onto the other half of the baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with the seasoning mix. Use your hands to lightly toss the chickpeas to coat them in the oil and spices. Return the pan to the oven and roast the chickpeas and the sweet potatoes for 20 more minutes. Then remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Prepare the rest of the salad. While the potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, you can prepare the rest of the salad. Add the sliced kale and romaine to a large salad bowl or platter. Drizzle with a little olive oil and lightly massage for a minute or so. Then add in the diced red onion, chopped walnuts, diced avocado and the roasted chickpeas and sweet potato.
- Make the dressing. Add all dressing ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine into a creamy dressing. It’s so good!!!!!
- Assemble and dress the salad. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss the salad to evenly coat the rest of the ingredients. You will not need to use all of the dressing. I use about 1/4-1/2 cup of the dressing for the whole salad or you can plate it and then dress each portion individually.
This salad is crisp and fresh with some tender sweet potatoes and chickpeas mixed in. Then topped with a super creamy, tangy dressing that is the perfect finish to this recipe.
Perfect for meal prep and entertaining a crowd.
You can store the remaining dressing in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 3 days.
What to serve with Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Skinny Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- Simple Instant Pot Healthy Turkey Chili
- Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
- Hearty soup: Such as this Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup or this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Baked Eggplant Meatballs
- Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash
Here are some other hearty salads you may also want to try
Looking for more hearty salads? Here are a few of my faves!
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Beet Salad
- Simple Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
- 10 Minute Crunchy Curry Chicken Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Chicken Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad With Quinoa
- Easy Autumn Crunch Pasta Salad
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Switch up the greens. You could swap the kale with spinach or even add in some sliced cabbage in place of the romaine lettuce. Arugula would also be great in this salad.
- Make this recipe vegan. Simply swap the manchego cheese in the dressing with 1/4 cup cashews that have been soaked overnight in some water and leave out the greek yogurt or sub with vegan mayo.
- Want more toppings? Almonds, cranberries, or shredded carrots would all be great and add some additional taste and texture.
- Add some more protein. Grilled chicken, crispy tofu, or sliced hard-boiled eggs would add a nice bump in protein to this salad.
- Parmesan cheese or feta cheese can be used in place of the manchego cheese in the dressing. I am just a huge fan of Manchego cheese.
- You can cut the sweet potato and size and shape you like. Cut them into bits size pieces, 1-inch cubes, rounds or half circles and bake as directed in this recipe. Just note that the baking time will differ based on the size and shape you cut the sweet potatoes.
- Don’t like the onion? If you prefer not to use the red onion then simply leave it out or you can replace it with diced shallots with are less strong but still give this salad that crunchy kick that I love.
- This salad can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Add th sliced avocado when ready to eat.
The recipe and post have been updated with better step by step photos and ingredients.
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print