These oven-roasted chickpeas are a great option for a healthy snack or appetizer. Packed with protein and flavor, they’re seasoned with delicious savory spices like ground cumin and roasted to crispy perfection. Enjoy these crunchy chickpeas on their own or as a topping for salads and soups. Vegan, gluten-free, and totally addictive.
Roasted chickpeas make the best healthy and delicious protein-packed snack that’s easy to make. These crispy little bites are perfect for satisfying your midday cravings or adding some crunch to your salads and soups. And the best part? Theses crunchy chickpeas are simple to make at home, with just a few basic ingredients and a little bit of oven time.
In this post, I’ll show you my favorite way to make oven-roasted chickpeas and share some tips and tricks for getting them just right. As an additional step, you can remove the skins but it is not necessary.
If you are short on time then try these air fryer chickpeas that come out just as crispy but cook a little faster.
Oven Roasted Chickpeas are so inexpensive and easy to make! They are great for topping on a big healthy salad, adding to hearty Buddha bowls, or piling into a wrap with some hummus and fresh veggies. They are especially good as a last-minute protein since you can just grab a can of chickpeas from your pantry and roast them in no time!
I love that these roasted chickpeas are seasoned so well and take on this tender crunchy texture when baked at high heat with some olive oil and spices. My kids also love them and it is a nice and healthy snack that I can feel good about giving them.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CHICKPEA RECIPE
- Simple ingredients – It only requires 4 ingredients!
- Quick and easy – Takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- Budget-friendly – Made with canned chickpeas that are inexpensive, versatile, and readily available.
- Flavorful – The chickpeas are seasoned just right so they result in crispy, tasty little bites of goodness.
- Healthy snack – This crispy roasted chickpeas recipe is a perfect healthy snack, or for topping on salads, soups, sandwiches, or even pizza!
- Easily customizable – change up the seasoning and use your own favorite spice blends.
ARE CHICKPEAS GOOD FOR YOU?
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, are full of fiber, and iron, and are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. They are also great for weight management and aid in digestion. Here is some more information on the health benefits of chickpeas.
- Chickpeas – canned, organic, low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are best so you can control the salt.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil that helps the chickpeas get nice and crispy and helps the seasoning stick to them
- Seasoning – garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
*Check out the recipe card located at the bottom of this post for the complete list of recipe ingredients, instructions, and nutritional information.
How to make oven-roasted chickpeas
You can make these roasted chickpeas in just a few simple steps.
- Rinse the chickpeas with some water then dry them very well on a clean dish towel to remove any excess moisture. Then add them to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Note: you want nice dry chickpeas so the oil and seasoning can stick to them.
- Mix up the seasoning by adding all of the spices + salt and pepper to a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Toss the chickpeas with some olive oil, sprinkle on the seasoning, and toss to coat, then spread them out on the pan in a single layer. Don’t worry if some of the chickpea skins fall off.
- Roast the seasoned chickpeas in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, tossing them and shaking the pan every 10 minutes to get all sides nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
Expert Tip: Drying the chickpeas after rinsing them will also help them to get crispier faster. To dry the chickpeas just lay them on a dry, clean kitchen towel or paper towel and pat them dry with more paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
This roasted chickpeas recipe is very versatile and customizable. You can use any spices you like and make them sweet or savory so play around with this recipe a bit to find your favorite version. Here are a few chickpea flavor variations to try:
- Spicy: For those who love a little heat, try seasoning them with cayenne pepper, chili powder, and smoked paprika for a smoky and spicy kick. Or you could even use taco seasoning.
- Garlic and Herb: If you’re a fan of garlic and herbs, toss your chickpeas with minced garlic, dried oregano, and thyme before roasting for a fragrant and flavorful snack.
- Sweet and Savory: For a sweet and savory twist, try a mix of brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. The result is a crunchy snack that’s perfect for satisfying both your sweet and salty cravings.
- Lemon and Parmesan: For a tangy and cheesy flavor, toss them with grated Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and a drizzle of olive oil before roasting. This combination is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
WAYS TO USE OVEN-ROASTED CHICKPEAS
There are so many different ways you can use these oven-roasted chickpeas! I love to add them to salads, on top of soups, to rice bowls, or even as a topping on pizza! My family just loves them as a crunchy snack that we sometimes mix in with some popcorn and pretzels, which is so good! I find that they give you that nice salty, crunchy taste and texture that is sure to beat any nighttime craving!
Here are some ways to use them:
- As a topping on these Sausage and pepper twice baked sweet potatoes.
- Use as a protein in this vegetarian Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Top on this Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.
TIPS FOR THE BEST RESULTS
- Buy good quality, low-sodium chickpeas. I like to buy organic, low-sodium since some canned beans can be loaded with extra salt, which is never good for anybody.
- Drain and rinse the beans well for at least 30 seconds under running water. I like to drop mine into a small strainer and swish them around a little bit under the water. This will also help remove extra sodium from the beans.
- Dry them well. It is important to dry the chickpeas on a clean towel before you season them. This will help the seasoning stick to them much better and allow them to get crispy when you back them.
- Dress the chickpeas in a little oil before you add the seasoning so that the spices stick to them when roasting.
- Cook the chickpeas at high heat. I think 400 degrees F is the ideal temperature since they get nice and crispy without drying out at all. I have tried roasting them at higher temperatures (425 F or 450 F) and it did not turn out too well.
HOW TO STORE CRISPY ROASTED CHICKPEAS
These crunchy chickpeas are best if eaten right after you cook them since that is when they are the crispiest and the most flavorful. If you do have leftovers, you want to let them cool completely then transfer them to a mason jar or some sort of container that is not airtight so the air can circulate. This will help them maintain some of their crispiness and flavor. Keep them in a cool, dry place and they should be good for about 3 days.
Recommended tools for making this recipe
More chickpea recipes
- Simple Chickpea Chicken Salad (Vegan)
- Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Easy Hummus Wrap with Crispy Chickpeas
- Kale Quinoa Salad With Chickpeas
Did you make this oven-roasted chickpeas recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print