This is a super simple oven roasted chickpea recipe that you will want to make over and over again. Made up of just canned chickpeas, chili powder, garlic and some other spices mixed in with a little oil and salt. Roasted to crispy perfection and so simple to make. Vegan, gluten-free, and a perfect recipe for snacking or topping on salads.
Chickpeas are one of those foods that I never really ate until I was an adult trying a vegetarian diet. Which opened my mind up to trying new foods. Now I eat everything but in moderation of course.
These oven roasted chickpeas are a recipe that I make so often since it is super simple and only takes 30 minutes or less.
I love that the chickpeas are seasoned so well and take on this crispy but still tender texture when baked at high heat with some olive oil and spices.
My kids also love them and it is a nice and healthy snack that I can feel good about giving them.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you may also like these taco seasoned crispy chickpeas.
Topping these with a sprinkle of sea salt just for that extra salty flavor and crunch is just the best and makes them so irresistable that everyone in your family will want to try them.
Why you will love this recipe
- It only requires 4 ingredients!
- Takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- Made with canned chickpeas that are super inexpensive and readily available
- The chickpeas are seasoned just right so they result in crispy, tasty little bites of goodness
- Perfect for healthy snacking, or topping on salads, soups, sandwiches or even pizza!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
**Make sure to check out the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients with measurements and recipe instructions.
How To Roast Chickpeas In The Oven
Making oven roasted chickpeas is so simple and can be done in just three steps.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and rinse and lightly pat the chickpeas dry. Mix up the seasoning by adding all spices + salt and pepper to a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Toss the chickpeas with some olive oil, then sprinkle on the seasoning and toss to coat.
3. Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread them out in a single layer. Roast them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, tossing them and shaking the pan every 10 minutes to get all sides nice and crispy and golden brown.
Just the best healthy recipe to serve to your kids as a snack or add as a crispy surprise on top of a big green salad like this Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad.
How long to roast chickpeas in the oven?
This really will depend on your oven since oven temperatures can vary. Typically 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees F should do the trick but if you prefer the chickpeas to become slightly crispier, you could tack on 2-5 more minutes or under cook them if you prefer them to be softer.
Just be careful not to cook them too long since they tend to dry out after too much time has passed in the oven.
In our house, I like them softer and my husband likes them crispier so I bake them right around 25 minutes and they come out perfect for both of us every time.
Expert Tip: Drying the chickpeas after rinsing them will also help them to get crispier faster. To dry the chickpeas just lay them onto a dry, clean kitchen towel or paper towels and pat them dry with more paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
Are Chickpeas Good for you?
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, full of fiber, iron and are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. They are also great for weight management and aid in digestion.
Click here to learn more about the benefits of adding chickpeas to your diet.
How to store these chickpeas
I recommend eating these hot and right out of the oven. If you do want to make them and store them, then let them cool completely, place them into a container covered with foil or a loose lid and store them on the counter for up to 3 days.
To reheat, heat them up in the microwave, or in the oven at 350 degrees F on a sheet pan for about 10 minutes or enjoy them at room temperature.
Tips for making the best oven roasted chickpeas
- Buy good quality, low-sodium chickpeas. I like to buy organic, low-sodium since some canned beans can be loaded with extra salt, which is never good for anybody.
- Drain and rinse the beans well for at least 30 seconds under some running water. I like to drop mine into a small strainer and swish them around a little bit under the water. This will also help remove extra sodium from the beans.
- Dress the chickpeas in a little oil before you add the seasoning so that the spices stick to them when roasting.
- Mix the spices together before adding them to the chickpeas. Which helps even out the flavor.
- Cook the chickpeas at high heat. I think 400 degrees F is the ideal temperate since they get nice and crispy without drying out at all. I have tried roasting them at higher temperatures (425 F or 450 F) and it did not turn out too well.
- Store these chickpeas at room temperature in a container fitted with a loose lid or foil for up to 3 days.
How to serve crispy roasted chickpeas
You can eat these as a light snack or topping on salads or soups. Here are some recipes that would be great paired with these chickpeas.
- Sausage and pepper twice baked sweet potatoes
- Quick and Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Spicy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
More chickpea recipes you may also like
- Simple Chickpea Chicken Salad (Vegan)
- Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Chickpea and Greens Buddha Bowl
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Easy Hummus Wrap with Crispy Chickpeas
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print