Zucchini Pizza Boats come together in under 30 minutes and are literally the most delicious low carb pizza recipe. They are loaded with marinara sauce, melty cheese, homemade pizza seasoning and topped with mini pepperoni. It’s a great way to enjoy pizza with less carbs and more veggies. Gluten free and kid-friendly!
If you are lucky enough to have an abundance of zucchini this time of year, then these crazy good zucchini pizza boats are the perfect recipe to use it up! They are ready in less than 30 minutes and are so delicious that you won’t even miss the crust. It’s true!
Trust me, I LOVE PIZZA CRUST! When I ate these zucchini filled little vessels of pizza deliciousness I was sold! Now sometimes carbs are necessary but if you are craving pizza but trying to eat a little bit healthier then this recipe is a wonderful alternative option.
Zucchini has a very mild flavor so it really is a great vessel for this recipe since it gives you yummy pizza flavors by slicing the zucchini, hollowing it out, filling it with sauce and cheese and then baking it until nice and melty and delicious.
Plus it is gluten free and with the addition of the mini pepperoni (which you can certainly leave out) the kids will love it too!
Why you will love this recipe
- It is the best low carb pizza recipe!
- Super easy and comes together in 30 minutes
- Gluten free and perfect for kids!
- A totally customisable recipe
- Great for meal prep!
- Colourful and packed with flavor
Ingredients needed to make zucchini pizza boats
See recipe card below for full list of ingredients and recipe instructions.
How to make zucchini pizza boats
- Prep the zucchini. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the center of each half of zucchini, leaving about a 1/4 inch border around each one. You can save the scooped out zucchini for another recipe or discard it. Place the zucchini boats onto a lined baking sheet. Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Assemble the Zucchini pizza boats. Mix up the parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a small bowl (this is the pizza seasoning). Add a spoonful of the tomato sauce into each zucchini boat spreading it out in a single even layer. Sprinkle some of the pizza seasoning over the sauce, top each with some shredded cheese and sliced mini pepperoni.
- Bake. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and bake the Zucchini pizza boats for 15-20 minutes until the zucchini is nice and tender and the cheese is all melted.
- Serve. Remove the pizza from the oven, top with more pizza seasoning, some dried parsley and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Baking the zucchini pizza boats
The length of time needed to bake the zucchini will vary based on the size of the Zucchini you are using and how thick the border around each half of the zucchini is. You will know they are done once the cheese is super melty and the zucchini are nice and tender.
Other topping ideas
- Sliced black olives
- Diced bell pepper and red onion
- Shredded chicken
- Ground sausage or turkey
- Pesto sauce
- Crumbled goat cheese
How many calories are in zucchini pizza boats?
These zucchini pizza boats as I have prepared them are about 225 calories for 2 of them. I made these pretty simple but if you add more toppings or more cheese than they would be higher in calories. I tried my best to also include a homemade pizza seasoning that amps up the flavour to keep them lower in calories but still insanely delicious.
Storing and reheating tips
I do not recommend freezing these zucchini pizza boats but you can make them ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Easily reheat them in the microwave or in the oven on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
Can you make these in the air fryer?
Yes you can cook these in the air fryer. To cook theses in the air fryer, preheat the air Fryer to 350 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the assembled zucchini pizza boats into the air fryer basket in an even layer (you may need to do this in batches). Close the basket and cook for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove, let cool and enjoy!
More healthy zucchini recipes to try!
- Easy 15 Minute Zucchini Fries
- Incredible Air Fryer Zucchini
- Air Fryer Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
- 10 Minute Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- Best Healthy Shrimp Scampi – With Zoodles
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Use smaller zucchini for this recipe. If the zucchini are too large then they will take longer to cook and will be more difficult to pick up and eat.
- You can easily mix up the toppings in this recipe. See topping suggestions in this post above. Tip: If you are using veggies that contain a lot of water like spinach or tomatoes then make sure to sauté them first before adding them to the pizza.
- You can store these Zucchini pizza boats easily by letting them cool completely and keeping them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave or the oven on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print