This easy and healthy date shake is going to be your new favorite smoothie that you will want to make over and over again. It is the best healthy snack or treat with no added sugar that you can make in about 5 minutes. This date smoothie is loaded with protein and fiber and is so filling. Vegan and gluten-free!
Smoothies and shakes are quick go-to recipes that I make for my kids all the time! This date shake is our new favorite. Naturally, sweet dates are blended with frozen bananas, plant-based milk, chia seeds, peanut butter, and a little vanilla to round it all out.
It comes together in about 5 minutes or less for a quick healthy treat that you are going to love! Similar to this chocolate protein shake that also makes a great healthy dessert that is full of protein and guilt-free.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: you can make it in about 5 minutes!
- Healthy: it is loaded with protein and fiber.
- No added sugar: it is naturally sweetened with dates and frozen bananas.
- Vegan and gluten-free: this recipe as written is already plant-based and gluten-free!
- So delicious! It tastes similar to a vanilla shake but it is much better for you!
Date Shake Ingredients
- Medjool dates – pitted Medjool dates work best in this recipe. If you cannot find pitted dates then you can easily cut them and pull the seeds out yourself within a few minutes.
- Frozen bananas – if you are like me, you probably always have sliced frozen bananas in your freezer. If not, then just plan ahead and slice and freeze them the day before or at least 8 hours before you plan on making this recipe. Since it is best with frozen bananas for the best taste and texture.
- Milk – I used pant-based almond milk but any milk will work, just make sure it is unsweetened.
- Chia seeds – these add some wonderful fiber and protein to this date shake and they are easy to find in almost any grocery store.
- Creamy peanut butter – creamy and not chunky peanut butter works best but you could also use almond butter, cashew butter, or even sun butter in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – to add a great vanilla flavor that makes this shake taste similar to a vanilla milkshake.
Expert tip: You can freeze your bananas in advance and keep them in the freezer for up to 30 days before you use them.
How To Make A Date Shake
This date shake is so easy to make in 2 steps and takes less than 5 minutes!
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Tips for making a date shake at home
- Use frozen bananas – this is essential to this recipe since the use of frozen bananas is what gives this shake that ice cream taste and texture. You will need to freeze them for at least 8 hours before you make this recipe for the best results.
- Make sure to use a high-speed blender – the high power of the blender helps to blend the dates and the bananas with the rest of the ingredients into a nice smooth creamy shake.
- Enjoy this shake right away! This date shake is best if eaten right away. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few hours but it will lose some of that amazing creamy, thick texture that we all love in a good shake!
- Add the liquid first – whenever you are making a shake or smoothie, I recommend adding the liquid first so it makes it easier to blend.
Tip: if your dates are hard, then place them into some warm water for about 10 minutes before adding them to the blender. This will soften them up nicely.
Some date shakes are loaded with sugar and dairy making them somewhat unhealthy. This version is made with all nutritious ingredients with no added sugar or dairy, making it a healthier date shake you can enjoy guilt-free!
For the best results, let the bananas freeze for at least 8 hours before you make this recipe.
This date shake is better enjoyed as a healthy snack or treat since it does have some sugar from the dates and bananas. It tastes a lot like a vanilla shake, just healthier!
More shake and smoothie recipes
Questions? Leave a comment below!
Like this recipe? Leave a comment below!
Made this recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!Print