This Air Fryer Chicken Breast is tender, super juicy and packed with flavor. It is perfectly seasoned with tasty spices like garlic, Italian seasoning and chili powder and can be ready in less than 20 minutes!
I am obsessed with this Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast recipe! It is perfectly seasoned and comes out so juicy and tender on the inside and golden on the outside. It is pretty similar to these Air Fryer Chicken Thighs that are also a fan favorite.
Chicken breast is one of the simplest and healthiest lean meats to add to any meal but sometimes it can come out dry and not so delicious. The best part about this Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast recipe is that it comes out so juicy and tender every time, without fail.
This easy chicken breast recipe contains no breading and is a wonderful low-carb main dish you can make and pair with delicious veggies like roasted asparagus or Brussel sprouts. See more serving suggestions below.
Cooking chicken in the air fryer
One thing to keep in mind when cooking chicken breast in the air fryer is the size of your chicken breast and the type of air fryer you are using. Since air fryer‘s vary and so does the size of chicken breast you can buy in most grocery stores, I recommend checking the chicken as it cook’s to ensure you do not over cook or under cook it.
How long to cook chicken breast in the air fryer?
This depends on the size of the chicken you are using as I mentioned above. Most chicken breasts that you can buy in the grocery store are very similar in size around 3-5ounces each, which will take around 16-18 minutes to fully cook in the air fryer.
The best way to test the doneness of chicken is to use a meat thermometer. Once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, then it is done.
Check out my cooking guidelines below in the notes section of the recipe card.
Why should you cook chicken in the air fryer?
Using the air fryer to cook boneless chicken breast makes it quick and easy with less clean up and it just comes out perfect every single time. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make.
The air fryer is designed as a small convection oven that has a fan to circulate heat all around the chicken as it cooks, making it one of the best appliances for cooking chicken.
You can even make a Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast, that is also amazingly tender and crispy without the use of any oil at all that also takes less than 20 minutes!
What to serve with this air fryer chicken
This chicken pairs great with so many other recipes like this Oven Roasted Broccoli (pictured above) or these Easy Ranch Roasted Carrots or even a hearty Easy Kale Salad. All great healthy meals that you can enjoy any day of the week and are all perfect for meal prepping.
Do I need to marinate or brine my chicken breast?
It is not necessary to marinate or brine your chicken breast in this recipe. If you want an even juicier chicken breast then go ahead and brine it in a water + salt solution or some pickle juice for at least 30 minutes. Then you want to rinse and dry the chicken breast before seasoning and cooking it.
As for marinating the chicken, that is also up to you. There are a lot of great chicken marinades you can make yourself or buy. Check out this Perfect Chicken Marinade from the Recipe Critic.
This recipe really does result in perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken, every time!
Ingredients needed to make this Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
How to cook chicken breast in the air fryer
- Prep the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel. Place the chicken into a medium size bowl, drizzle it with olive oil and gently toss it in the olive oil to get it all nice and coated.
- Season. Mix up the spices with some salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Pour the spice mixture over the chicken breast and rub it all over on both sides of each piece of chicken.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F, this takes about 5 minutes for most air fryers. Spray the air Fryer basket with olive oil spray, place the chicken into the air fryer, spaced enough apart so that the pieces of chicken are not touching. Close the air fryer basket and cook at 360 degrees F for 9 minutes. Flip each piece of chicken over and cook for 9 more minutes until the internal temerpature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let rest and slice. Set the chicken onto a clean plate or cutting board and let it rest for at least 5 minutes to allow the juices of the chicken to evenly distribute back into the chicken, which makes it nice and juicy. Then use a sharp knife to slice the chicken into pieces.
- Serve. Enjoy this chicken warm with your favorite healthy side dishes or on top of a hearty salad.
Do I need to use oil to air fry chicken breast?
You do not need to use oil but it is highly recommended since it helps the seasoning stick to the chicken and also helps create a nice crispy outer layer. Two elements of this recipe that really take it over the top. Plus I only use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in total in this recipe, which is only 50 extra calories per serving. So go for it. It is totally worth it!
Can you use frozen chicken breast?
Yes, you absolutely can put raw, frozen chicken breast in the air fryer. You won’t get the exact same results but it will still come out golden and juicy. This is a great shortcut if you are short on time and forgot to thaw your chicken.
To cook frozen, raw chicken breast in the air fryer
Dry the chicken with a clean paper towel and then rub or spray it with olive oil all over. Then season it. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the frozen chicken breast into the air fryer in a single layer (not overlapping or stacked) and cook it for 18-20 minutes, flipping it over halfway through the cooking time.
Storing and reheating
This easy chicken recipe is perfect for meal prepping or making it ahead.
Store it in the refrigerator: Once you have fully cooked the chicken, then let it cool completely and store it an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze it: Let the cooked chicken fully cool then transfer it to a freezer-friendly container and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat: You can reheat this chicken breast right from the refrigerator in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes. To reheat from a frozen state, let the chicken breast thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then air fry it at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
Recipe tips for making air fryer chicken breast
- Try to select chicken that is the same size (i.e weight) to allow for both pieces of chicken to cook at the same time.
- Use a little olive oil for super juicy chicken that is well seasoned with a nice crispy outer layer without any breading.
- Rub the spice blend all over both sides of the chicken so that it is perfectly seasoned all around.
- Check the chicken for doneness a few minutes before it should be done cooking. This will ensure you do not overcook it since air fryer‘s vary.
- Let the chicken rest before slicing. This will allow it to be even juicier.
- Switch up the spices. You can use any spice blend you like in this recipe, even taco seasoning for a juicy and delicious Chicken Taco Salad.
- Top with a yummy sauce. You can add even more excitement to this air fryer chicken by topping it with a delicious healthy sauce like this Easy 5 Minute Romesco Sauce or this 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing.
- Brine the chicken. For even juicier chicken, you can always brine it in some seasoned warm water or pickle juice for 30 minutes or overnight. This always makes it even juicier.
Recommended tools for making this recipe
Ideas for using leftover chicken
Pizza: Add it to this amazing Chicken Pesto Pizza.
Stir Fry: Use it in a stir fry or in this Rainbow Chicken Pad Thai
More air fryer chicken recipes to try!
- Crispy Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Simple Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Sausage and Veggies
Did you try this air fryer chicken breast recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out!Print