Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
This Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast is tender, super juicy, and packed with flavor. It is perfectly seasoned with tasty spices like garlic, Italian seasoning, and chili powder and can be ready in less than 20 minutes!
This chicken breast recipe will become your new go-to for a quick and easy meal. It only requires a few minutes of prep time with some simple ingredients thanks to the air fryer.
Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast is perfectly cooked, juicy, well-flavored chicken every single time. This is pretty much a foolproof recipe. The trickiest part will be the cooking time based on the size of your chicken breast. Don’t worry I have provided a cooking chart for guidance at the bottom of this post.
If you prefer breaded chicken breast then you will love this crispy air fryer chicken.
Why you’ll love cooking chicken in the air fryer
- It is so easy to do with no oven required!
- Perfectly cooked, juicy chicken every single time!
- Great for meal prep.
- Only requires some simple ingredients and under 20 minutes to make it!
- Low-carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole30 recipe!
You can use cooked air fryer chicken breast in so many meals like chicken salad, Chicken pizza, or chicken enchiladas.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Boneless Chicken Breast – I used 2 (5-ounce) boneless chicken breasts.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
- Seasoning – garlic powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepper.
How to cook boneless chicken breast in the air fryer
*Be sure to check out the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Prepare the chicken – pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel, and drizzle it with olive oil. Mix up the seasoning and rub it all over the chicken breasts.
- Cook. Place the seasoned chicken breast into a preheated air fryer and cook it at 360 degrees F for 9 minutes. Flip each piece over then cook for an additional 9 minutes. Per the recipe card below.
- Serve. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the air fryer and place it onto a plate to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Use chicken breasts that are the same size for even cooking times.
- Season the chicken well on all sides for the best flavor.
- Cook the chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice and serve it.
Cooking chicken in the air fryer
One thing to keep in mind when cooking chicken breast in the air fryer is the size of your chicken breast and the type of air fryer you are using. Since air fryers vary and so does the size of chicken breast you can buy in most grocery stores, I recommend checking the chicken as it cooks to ensure you do not overcook or undercook it.
How long to cook chicken breast in the air fryer?
This depends on the size of the chicken you are using as I mentioned above. Most chicken breasts that you can buy in the grocery store are very similar in size around 3-5ounces each, which will take around 16-18 minutes to fully cook in the air fryer.
The best way to test the doneness of chicken is to use a meat thermometer. Once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, then it is done.
Here are some cooking times for different size chicken breasts
- 4-5 ounce chicken breasts will take 7-8 minutes per side.
- 5-6 ounce chicken breast will take around 8-9 minutes per side.
- 6-7 ounce chicken breasts will take around 9-10 minutes per side.
- Switch up the spices. You can use any spice blend you like in this recipe, even taco seasoning for a juicy and delicious Chicken Taco Salad.
- Top with a yummy sauce. You can add even more excitement to this air fryer chicken by topping it with a delicious healthy sauce like this Easy 5 Minute Romesco Sauce or this 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing.
- Brine the chicken. For even juicier chicken, you can always brine it in some seasoned warm water or pickle juice for 30 minutes or overnight. This always makes it even juicier.
Why should you cook chicken in the air fryer?
Using the air fryer to cook boneless chicken breast makes it quick and easy with less cleanup and it just comes out perfect every single time. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make.
The air fryer is designed as a small convection oven that has a fan to circulate heat all around the chicken as it cooks, making it one of the best appliances for cooking chicken.
What to serve with this air-fried chicken breast
This chicken pairs great with so many other recipes like this Oven Roasted Broccoli (pictured above) or these Easy Ranch Roasted Carrots or even a hearty Easy Kale Salad. All great healthy meals that you can enjoy any day of the week are all perfect for meal prepping.
Do I need to marinate or brine my chicken?
It is not necessary to marinate or brine your chicken breast in this recipe. If you want an even juicier chicken breast then go ahead and brine it in a water + salt solution or some pickle juice for at least 30 minutes. Then you want to rinse and dry the chicken breast before seasoning and cooking it.
As for marinating the chicken, that is also up to you. There are a lot of great chicken marinades you can make yourself or buy. Check out this Perfect Chicken Marinade from the Recipe Critic.
This recipe really does result in perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken, every time!
Do I need to use oil to air fry chicken breast?
You do not need to use oil but it is highly recommended since it helps the seasoning stick to the chicken and also helps create a nice crispy outer layer. Two elements of this recipe that really take it over the top. Plus I only use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in total in this recipe, which is only 50 extra calories per serving. So go for it. It is totally worth it!
Can you cook frozen chicken breast in the air fryer?
Yes, you absolutely can put raw, frozen chicken breast in the air fryer. You won’t get the exact same results but it will still come out golden and juicy. This is a great shortcut if you are short on time and forgot to thaw your chicken.
To cook frozen, raw chicken breast in the air fryer:
Dry the chicken with a clean paper towel and then rub or spray it with olive oil all over. Then season it. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the frozen chicken breast into the air fryer in a single layer (not overlapping or stacked) and cook it for 18-20 minutes (based on the size of your chicken breast), flipping it over halfway through the cooking time.
Storing and reheating
This easy chicken recipe is perfect for meal prepping or making it ahead. Here are some storage and heating recommendations.
- Store it in the refrigerator: Once you have fully cooked the chicken, then let it cool completely and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze it: Let the cooked chicken fully cool then transfer it to a freezer-friendly container and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheat: You can reheat this chicken breast right from the refrigerator in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes. To reheat from a frozen state, let the chicken breast thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then air fry it at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
Recommended tools for making this recipe
- Air Fryer
- Flat cutting board
- Meat thermometer
More air fryer chicken recipes to try!
- Crispy Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- 10-Minute Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Simple Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Sausage and Veggies
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
Did you try this air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Juicy Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This juicy air fryer boneless chicken breast is packed with so much flavor and is very easy to make in under 20 minutes. It makes a wonderful quick and easy meal prep recipe and is one of the best methods for cooking chicken breast perfectly every time!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 5–6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley – for topping
- Prepare the chicken breast. Pat each piece of chicken breast dry with a clean paper towel. Place the chicken into a bowl and drizzle it with olive oil and rub the oil all over the chicken.
- Season. Mix the spices (garlic powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning) and salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub the spice mixture all over the chicken making sure to cover all the surfaces of the chicken breast.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Once the air fryer is ready, place the chicken breasts into the air fryer basket about 2 inches apart making sure they are not overlapping. Cook the chicken for 8-9 minutes, flip and cook for 8-9 more minutes on the other side. You will know the chicken is done cooking once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve. Once the chicken is done cooking remove it from the air fryer and place it onto a clean plate or cutting board. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice and serve it.
- Try to use chicken breasts that are similar in size to allow for even cooking times.
- You can use any spices you like in this recipe.
- You can store this cooked chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Easily reheat this chicken in the air fryer at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 18
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer boneless chicken breast, air fryer chicken breast, air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe, air fried chicken
Wow! My chicken just came out of the air fryer (5 minutes ago) and I am amazed. I have the Cuisinart TOA60 and I went with the 50-degrees less rule and it worked out great. I love how few spices were needed to still pack a powerful flavor punch. Thank you!
Hi Jennifer, I am so glad you liked it!
This was a delicious recipe and tasted like it was baked in the oven. I was surprised and my husband loved it. Would have been good with a side of stuffing. We had a baked potato and small salad. Must try and don’t substitute ingredients or method of cooking.
Thank you so much! I am so glad you liked it!
This is by far the best air fryer recipe I have EVER had.
I have a question regarding this recipe!! The instructions say to “Preheat the air fryer to *400”, then says to cook at *360? Is this correct?
Hi, yes, I always preheat to the standard 400 degrees to get the air fryer nice and hot and then cook at whatever temperature is needed to cook the chicken. This allows the chicken to get that nice crispy outer layer and become super tender and juicy on the inside.
Delicious!!! I am not usually a fan of the flavor of chicken & I always drown it in dipping sauce, but didn’t dip this at all! I have a feeling I will be making this recipe A LOT and will check out your others! 🙂
Thank you Katie! I am so glad you liked it! I make it at least once a week.
Atlas a chicken that is juicy. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Thank you Emily! I am so happy you liked it!
Very unusual for me to leave a comment because I seem to be a rare person that doesn’t like chicken. I have been searching for quite a while to find one that I like. This one finally has me excited about chicken. I really liked it and will definitely make it again. Thanks so much.
Hi Peg! I am so happy you liked it!
Thank you, this recipe turned out so juicy and tasty. My husband also enjoyed it! I plan to add it to the favorites!
Hi Vickie! That’s great to hear. I am so happy you both enjoyed it!
Hi there! This blog post could not be written any
better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He always kept talking about this. I will send this information to him.
Fairly certain he’s going to have a good read. Thanks for
Hi. Can this be cooked in an Instant Pot with an air fryer lid or does it have to be a stand alone air fryer?
Hi Kathy, This can be cooked in any air fryer.
Wow I will not be cooking chicken breast any other way. It was delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe
Thank you Maggie! I am so glad you liked it! It is my favorite way to cook chicken breast!
I enjoy what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll.
ดูหนังไทยที่ NUNG8K.NET ฟรีทุกเรื่อง ตลอด
This post presents clear idea for the new visitors of blogging, that actually
how to do blogging and site-building. http://gestpost.com/profile.php?id=258862
Thanks for every other informative web site. Where else may I get that type of information written in such an ideal manner?
I have a challenge that I am just now operating on, and I’ve been at the look out for such info.
This is really fascinating, You are an excessively professional blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and sit up for in quest of more of your excellent
post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks
My partner and I stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I might check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to looking at your web page for a second
Feel free to visit my blog post; speeding ticket
slot Jackpot terbesar
Howdy! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for
your great information you have right here on this post. I am coming back
to your blog for more soon.
Visit my website … slot Jackpot terbesar
bookmarked!!, I really like your website!
I have NOT prepared this yet. I live alone and cook for one. What adjustments in time/temperaature ar required to cook only one breast? I usually eat only half of a breast portion at a time. Cooking two breasts is too much chicken for me. Thank you for your prompt response!
Hi Debbie, one piece of chicken should cook at the same time as two pieces of chicken. I would just cut the oil and seasoning in half. Ejnoy!
It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i
am visiting this web site dailly and take good data from here every day.
ฝาก 30 รับ 100
I could not resist commenting. Very well written!
Wow! Absolutely delicious! Went a little longer with the time (used my MEATER thermometer). It came out so tasty and juicy! Went great with ranch dressing!
I want to to thank you for this very good read!! I certainly loved every bit
of it. I have you book marked to check out new
stuff you post…