This super juicy and tender Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast is full of flavor and can be ready in under 20 minutes. Seasoned with tasty spices like garlic, Italian seasoning and chili powder and perfectly cooked in the air fryer. An amazingly easy and simple way to cook chicken breast. Perfect for meal prep.
Chicken breast is one of the simplest and healthiest lean meats to add to any meal but sometimes it can come out dry and not so delicious. The best part about this Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast recipe is that it comes out so juicy and tender every time.
One thing to keep in mind when cooking chicken breast in the air fryer is the size of your chicken breast and the type of air fryer you are using. Since air fryer‘s vary and so does the size of chicken breast you can buy in most grocery stores, I recommend checking the chicken as it cook’s to ensure you do not over cook or under cook it.
The best way to test the doneness of chicken is to use a meat thermometer. Once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, then it is done.
The best way to cook chicken breast quickly
Using the air fryer to cook boneless chicken breast makes it quick and easy with less clean up and it just comes out perfect every single time. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make.
You can even make a Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast, that is also amazingly tender and crispy without the use of any oil at all that also takes less than 20 minutes!
Plus chicken pairs great with so many other recipes like this Oven Roasted Broccoli (pictured above) or these Easy Ranch Roasted Carrots or even a hearty Easy Kale Salad. All great healthy meals that you can enjoy any day of the week and perfect for meal prepping.
Why you will just love this recipe
- Quick and easy, ready in 20 minutes or less!
- It comes out so juicy and tender
- Packed with flavors like garlic and chili powder
- So simple to make
- Perfect for meal prep
- Pairs great with some many healthy side dishes
How long to cook chicken breast in the air fryer
As I mentioned above, this really depends on the size of the chicken breast you are cooking as well as the type of air fryer you have. I used 5 ounce pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast and it took about 18 minutes in total to cook it perfectly.
Going by the weight of the chicken is the best way to cook it perfectly. For example, if you are using 4 ounce pieces of chicken then I would cook it for about 16 minutes (8 minutes per side). Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken for doneness. You want it to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
See notes section for more cooking recommendations.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to cook boneless chicken breast in the air fryer
- Prep the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel. Place the chicken into a medium size bowl, drizzle it with olive oil and gently toss it in the olive oil to get it all nice and coated.
- Season. Mix up the spices with some salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Pour the spice mixture over the chicken breast and rub it all over on both sides of each piece of chicken.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, this takes about 5 minutes for most air fryers. Spray the air Fryer basket with olive oil spray, place the chicken into the air fryer, spaced enough apart so that the pieces of chicken are not touching. Close the air fryer basket and cook at 360 degrees F for 9 minutes. Flip each piece of chicken over and cook for 9 more minutes until the internal temerpature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let rest and slice. Set the chicken onto a clean plate or cutting board and let it rest for at least 5 minutes to allow the juices of the chicken to evenly distribute back into the chicken, which makes it nice and juicy. Then use a sharp knife to slice the chicken into pieces.
- Serve. Enjoy this chicken warm with your favorite healthy side dishes or on top of a hearty salad.
Do I need to use oil for air fryer chicken breast?
You do not need to use oil but it is highly recommended since it helps the seasoning stick to the chicken and also helps create a nice crispy outer layer. Two elements of this recipe that really take it over the top. Plus I only use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in total in this recipe, which is only 50 extra calories per serving. So go for it. It is totally worth it!
Tips for success
- Use chicken that is the same size (i.e weight) to allow for both pieces of chicken to cook at the same time.
- Use a little olive oil for super juicy chicken that is well seasoned with a nice crispy outer layer without any breading.
- Rub the spice blend all over both sides of the chicken so that it is perfectly seasoned all around.
- Check the chicken for doneness a few minutes before it should be done cooking. This will ensure you do not overcook it since air fryer‘s vary.
- Let the chicken rest before slicing. This will allow it to be even juicier.
- Switch up the spices. You can use any spice blend you like in this recipe, even taco seasoning for a juicy and delicious Chicken Taco Salad.
- Top with a yummy sauce. You can add even more excitement to this air fryer chicken by topping it with a delicious healthy sauce like this Easy 5 Minute Romesco Sauce or this 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing.
- Brine the chicken. For even juicier chicken, you can always brine it in some seasoned warm water for a few hours or overnight. This always makes it even juicier.
More healthy air fryer recipes to try!
- Crispy Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- 10 Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
- Easy Air Fryer Salmon Patties
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out!Print