This classic but simple house salad is made with fresh veggies like romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, and red onion and dressed with an amazing red wine vinaigrette. It makes the perfect side salad or main salad that goes with every meal!
For the salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce – 4-5 cups, chopped
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, chopped carrots, or matchstick carrots.
- 1/3 cup diced or sliced red onion.
- 1 cup croutons – I used Olivia’s croutons which are gluten-free.
- Grated parmesan cheese – optional for topping
For the vinaigrette
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar fitted with a lid and shake well to emulsify. You can also add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk them together to combine.
- Assemble all of the chopped veggies (romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, onion, and croutons) in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine everything together. Top with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Veggies – chop the veggies into similar size pieces to make the salad easier to toss and eat.
- Storage – this salad stores best undressed. When you are ready to enjoy it, simply dress and serve!
- Add-ins – add toppings like chopped, cooked bacon, almonds, pistachios, sliced avocado, cooked chicken breast, cooked salmon, or feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: house salad, salad, side salad, Olive Garden salad