Crispy, gluten-free Chickpea Flour Crust Pizza topped with fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Made entirely in one skillet and baked in the oven until super crispy and delicious. A healthier way to enjoy PIZZA!
Pizza is my absolute favorite food on the planet! I would eat it every day if I could and I think my kids are following in my footsteps. This Chickpea Flour Crust Pizza is my stand in version so I can eat pizza whenever I want with no guilt.
Plus it is such an easy Healthy Dinner that is fun to make and only requires 3 ingredients and one pan. I love that!
It is crazy good and you will never miss that white flour crust!
The base of this pizza is made with only 3 ingredients, chickpea flour, water, and a little olive oil. Plus some salt to add flavor of course. It is pretty amazing how thick the batter gets. When it cooks it just gets so crispy on the edges but soft on the inside.
Not to mention, the crust has more protein than carbs. Additionally, it is also plant-based, gluten-free and has loads of fiber as well. I mean, could it get any better than that?
Is chickpea flour crust pizza lower in carbs?
Chickpea flour is low on the glycemic index, which is a measure of how much a food raises your blood sugar as it’s digested, which makes it heart-healthy and a much better alternative than white or whole wheat flour.
It contains only 35 net carbs per serving and is packed with healthy nutrients like calcium, iron and vitamin B6.
A simple swap that will help you stick to your Healthy Eating Habits even during the weekend when you are craving something a little bit more indulgent, like pizza.
Now if you are looking for an even lower carb pizza then check out this Easy Veggie Pizza Chicken Bake or this Sausage and Pepper Twice Baked Sweet Potato that are both very simple recipes to make, taste like pizza but have no crust at all.
This pizza is a lighter version of traditional pizza that is also gluten free, which means that I can enjoy a slice along with my kids for our Friday night pizza nights.
Granted, it is tough for me not to sneak a bite of my kids gluten loaded, cheesy salty sausage pizza but I know that if I do it will consequently leave me feeling sluggish, bloated, and possibly sick since, unfortunately that is how my body reacts to gluten.
So for now, I am happy to enjoy this incredible pizza that, by the way takes little to no effort or time to make and is a thinner crust pizza that is in fact my favorite. I also love to pair it with this 10 Minute Chopped Italian Salad, which is the perfect accompaniment to this recipe.
Why you will love this recipe
- The crust is crispy on the outside and perfectly soft and chewy on the inside.
- Very easy to make with no kneading or prepping the dough first.
- Simple, but crazy good!
- Lower in carbs than traditional pizza! Yippee!!!
- A pizza you can eat every day if you want!
- It is literally the perfect Friday night pizza recipe. Pair it with a nice salad and your favorite wine and you are all set!
Now, if you prefer a deep-dish pizza than this recipe is probably not for you but try it! Maybe you will discover a whole new healthier way to enjoy pizza!
What is Chickpea Flour?
Chickpea Flour is an ultra-fine flour made from milled chickpeas. You can use it as a base in many recipes and it can be found in almost all grocery stores. It’s inexpensive too, costing about $3 for a 16oz bag!
Wow! It has loads of nutrients like Plant-based protein, fiber, iron, folate. It’s also lower in carbohydrates and calories as compared to other flours.
What can you make with Chickpea Flour?
You can use chickpea flour in place of white flour in so many recipes like pancakes, muffins, pizza crust, bread or even homemade pasta. Chickpea Flour Omelets is one of my go-to recipes in a pinch since I can add in some veggies and it becomes a complete meal.
Ingredients needed to make this Chickpea Flour Crust Pizza
How to make Chickpea Flour Crust Pizza
- Prep the pan. Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F. While the oven is preheating, place the cast iron pan in the oven to warm it up. This is the secret to the crispy crust.
- Make the batter. Whisk the batter together which is just the chickpea flour mixed with warm water, salt, and olive oil. Whisk it well to form a loose wet batter that is slightly runny. Let the batter sit on the counter for a few minutes while the oven is preheating. This will allow the batter to get slightly thicker.
- Bake the pizza crust. Once the pan is ready, very carefully remove it from the oven, brush it with some olive oil (1TBSP) evenly to cover the bottom of the pan, then pour the batter evenly into the pan (be careful, the pan will be very hot!) so it covers the entire bottom of the pan. The batter will sizzle as you pour it into the pan and start to cook immediately. It’s amazing, and a sign that you know it’s going to be good! Place it back into the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Top and finish baking. Remove the pizza crust from the oven, spread on the tomato sauce, and layer on the freshly sliced mozzarella cheese. Place it back into the oven for 10-12 more minutes, until the top and edges are nice and golden brown and the cheese is nice and melted. Cook’s Tip: If you like an even crispier crust, then remove the crust from the oven after 10 minutes and brush the edges with more olive oil. Place it back in the oven for 2-3 more minutes.
- Let cool and serve. Remove, let cool for a few minutes, top with fresh basil, watercress, sliced red onion and red pepper flakes, slice, and serve warm.
I love to eat this with an arugula and tomato salad dressed with a squeeze of lemon, balsamic vinegar, salt,
What to serve with chickpea flour crust pizza
Here are some fun and easy side dishes that would go great with this pizza recipe!
- Salad! Check out this Easy Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing, 10 Minute Italian Chopped Salad, Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, or this Autumn Chopped Kale Salad with Quinoa.
- Eggplant Meatballs
- No Oil Sweet Potato Fries
- Easy Roasted Butternut Squash
- Crispy Baked Beet Chips
- Sweet and Spicy Baked Cauliflower
Here are some more easy gluten free recipes you may also love!
- Easy Veggie Pizza Chicken Bake
- Easy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Pesto Quinoa With Roasted Veggies
- Use a cast-iron pan. If you don’t have a cast-iron pan then go buy one. They are very inexpensive and will last you a lifetime. Making this pizza in a cast iron pan is essential since it results in a super crispy, perfectly cooked pizza crust.
- Only use chickpea (Garbanzo bean) flour. Do not try to attempt making this recipe with any other gluten-free flours. This recipe especially uses chickpea flour and will not work with other flours.
- Make sure you preheat the pan while the oven is preheating. Heating up the pan before adding the batter gives it that golden brown, uber-crispy edge, crust we all want in a pizza like this.
- Don’t overload the pizza with too many toppings. This crust is thinner than traditional pizza, so too many toppings will make this crust soggy and not as firm. Opt for simple toppings like pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil or you can add sliced chicken, pepperoni, or sauteed veggies as well.
- Once the pizza is done cooking, let it sit on the counter for a few minutes to cool slightly. Then you can loosen it in the pan with a spatula, pour it onto a cutting board and slice it up.
- Other topping options: Pesto, sliced cooked chicken, cooked mushrooms, peppers, and onions.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below.Print