Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
This air fryer breaded chicken breast recipe is a healthier way to enjoy fried chicken without any deep frying in oil. It comes out perfectly crispy on the outside and moist and juicy on the inside in less than 15 minutes, thanks to the air fryer.
You are going to become obsessed with this incredible air fryer breaded chicken breast. It is unbelievably golden and crispy, not to mention one of the juiciest chicken breast recipes ever.
Getting any chicken, like these air fryer chicken nuggets, juicy and crispy without drying out is no easy feat. But thanks to the air fryer it is easier than ever!
This air fryer crispy chicken breast is basically the best way to enjoy fried chicken without any guilt because it is cooked without any deep frying. It is made with protein-packed, lean, boneless chicken breast, coated in a flavorful parmesan breadcrumbs mixture, and air fried until perfectly moist, and juicy. While the outer layer is fantastically flavorful, appetizing, and delicious.
If you prefer parmesan chicken then you will love this healthy air fryer chicken parmesan.
Don’t have an air fryer? Try these oven-baked chicken cutlets.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Wonderfully juicy breaded chicken breast with a gorgeous golden crispy crust.
- Breaded chicken breast that tastes fried but without all of the oil and deep frying.
- When you are craving fried chicken, you can make this recipe in minutes and it is much lighter and healthier.
- It stores and reheats great!
- Very easy to make in just 15 minutes.
Ingredients for air fryer breaded chicken breast
- Chicken breast – try to find nice, plump boneless skinless chicken breasts that are organic and pasture-raised, if possible. I used 2 (6 oz) chicken breasts that I sliced in half to make cutlets. You can also buy thinly sliced chicken breast and use those in this recipe. It’s up to you.
- Eggs – you will need 2 large eggs to help the breading stick to the chicken. You can also use milk if you need to keep this recipe egg free.
- Breadcrumbs – you can use any breadcrumbs mixture you like. Use parmesan breadcrumbs for the best results. See the recipe tips below for how to make them yourself.
- Olive oil cooking spray – helps make the chicken super crispy and golden. Make sure to use non-aerosol cooking spray. You can also use a little bit of olive oil and just drizzle it over the chicken before you cook it.
- Salt and pepper – used to season the chicken and breading for even more flavor.
Other optional ingredients to add more flavor
- Parmesan cheese – if you are not using parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Parsley – dried or fresh will work.
- Red pepper flakes – for a nice spicy kick.
- Hot sauce – to sprinkle on after the crispy chicken is cooked.
- Lemon – another option to sprinkle on the chicken once it is done for a fresh, zippy finish.
How to make breaded chicken breast in the air fryer
*Make sure you check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list of recipe ingredients and detailed instructions. Plus recipe notes and nutrition.
- Prep the chicken. Dry the chicken by patting it dry with a clean paper towel then slice it in half lengthwise with a sharp kitchen knife.
- Coat the chicken breast in the breading. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture then in the breadcrumb mixture and set aside.
- Cook the chicken. Place the breaded chicken into the preheated air fryer and cook it at 390 degrees F for 11-12 minutes. Per the recipe card below.
- Slice and serve. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes then sprinkle it with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon for more flavor. Slice and serve with your favorite quick salad or healthy side dish.
Pro Tip! Use parmesan breadcrumbs and a little olive oil spray for the best results that give this chicken a nice crispy, golden crust that is everything.
This crispy chicken comes out so incredible with almost no oil and even makes a great recipe for meal prep.
Tips For Success
- Select nice thick, plump chicken breasts. You want to use a good thick chicken breast for this recipe since you will be slicing it in half, which will still result in crazy juicy amazing chicken. You can use store-bought raw chicken cutlets or thinly sliced chicken breast as well.
- Any breadcrumbs will work in this recipe. You can use store-bought panko seasoned breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs, parmesan herb breadcrumbs, or even whole wheat breadcrumbs. I recommend parmesan breadcrumbs for the best results. To make your own parmesan breadcrumb mixture. Mix 2 cups plain breadcrumbs, with 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dry the chicken breast well with a clean paper towel before you dredge it. This helps the breading stick to the chicken better.
- Cook the chicken at medium-high heat. Cooking this chicken at medium-high heat will allow it to cook through and get super crispy on the outside while still keeping it super juicy on the inside. Flipping it halfway through the cooking time will also help it become evenly cooked on all sides. Note: Air fryer‘s times and temps may vary.
How Long Should you cook air fryer breaded chicken breast?
Homemade breaded chicken breast cutlets will take around 11-15 minutes in the air fryer. Cooking times will vary based on the size of the chicken breast that you use as well as the type of air fryer you have. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F then it is done.
What size chicken breasts should I use?
I used 6-ounce pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast that I sliced in half before I breaded them. It took exactly 11 minutes for it to cook perfectly. Plus it yielded a good size portion for 4 people. 4-5 ounce chicken breasts will take around 9-10 minutes to become fully cooked in most air fryers.
Do I need to use oil to air-fry chicken?
This is up to you, but in my opinion, if you are making this breaded chicken breast then olive oil spray that contains much fewer calories works out just as well and results in crazy crispy and delicious chicken that tastes fried.
If you are making non-breaded boneless chicken breast in the air-fryer then you will want to use a little bit of olive oil so the chicken doesn’t dry out but still results in a nice crispy outer layer.
How will I know when the air fryer breaded chicken is done?
Most air fryer breaded chicken will take 11-15 minutes to cook perfectly. The best way to tell if the chicken is done cooking in the air fryer is to check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer. Once it reaches 165 degrees F then it is done.
What to serve with air fryer breaded chicken breast
This crispy chicken recipe goes well with a number of other dishes that will make it a complete meal. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Ranch Roasted Carrots – kid-friendly side
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Chickpeas – low-carb
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash – lower carb and low calorie
- Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad – for a fun healthy salad
- Air Fryer Broccoli – healthy and delicious
You can also just serve this breaded chicken breast over some fresh arugula dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and some shaved parmesan cheese as I did below.
Storing and reheating leftovers
This crispy breaded chicken is best if eaten right away but you can store and reheat leftovers.
- Storing – let the air fryer breaded chicken breast cool completely, transfer it to an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheating – easily reheat the chicken in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 2-3 minutes. It won’t be as crispy as when you first make it but it still becomes somewhat crispy and tastes AMAZING.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Amazing Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
Other healthy chicken breast recipes
- Easy Veggie Chicken Pizza Bake
- Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Taco Salad
Did you make this air fryer breaded chicken breast recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Breast
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 5–6 ounces each) – or 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
- 2 cups seasoned parmesan breadcrumbs – or make your own, see notes below
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil spray – for extra crispy chicken (non-aerosol)
Optional additional seasoning
- Shredded parmesan cheese – for topping
- Red pepper flakes
- Hot sauce
- Prepare the chicken breast – Use a sharp kitchen knife to slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise like a book so you get 2 pieces of chicken from each chicken breast. Then pat the chicken dry with a clean towel. Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken if needed so each piece is even all around.
- Coat the chicken – Add the breadcrumbs to a shallow bowl, crack and whisk the eggs with some salt and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip each piece of chicken into the eggs, then into the breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken as you bread it. Continue until you have coated all of the chicken.
- Cook – Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the breaded chicken into the air fryer in a single layer and spray each piece with cooking spray (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your air fryer). Cook for 6 minutes, flip each piece of the chicken over and spray the other side with more olive oil spray and cook for 5 more minutes. Until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve – once the chicken is done cooking, let it rest for at least five minutes then slice and serve it with a sprinkle of lemon and more salt and pepper.
- Make sure to use chicken breasts that are similar in size for even cooking times. Chicken is safe to eat once the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Flip the chicken and spray it on the other side halfway through the cooking time.
- For the best results, use parmesan breadcrumbs or make your own (2 cups breadcrumbs + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese + 2 tablespoons dried parsley + salt and pepper).
- Store: You can store this chicken breast in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: easily reheat portions in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for a few minutes or in the microwave until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 4
- Cook Time: 11
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer breaded chicken breast, air fryer chicken breast, chicken breast recipe, breaded chicken breast in the air fryer
Delicious! I didn’t need the full 15 minutes. They came out so flavorful and juicy.
Could you add any veggies at the same time ans temp?
Hi Sharon, I would cook the veggies separately at around 390 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. I am working on an air fryer roasted veggies and chicken post, so stay tuned.
Where do you use the hot sauce and red pepper flakes in this recipe? Am I missing it?
Hi Lisa, those are just optional ingredients that you can add for even more flavor on top of the chicken after you cook it.
What did you use on the arugula
Hi Jerrie, just a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
Made this tonight and chicken was so tender and juicy. Highly recommend this recipe. It was delicious
Hi Jim! I am so glad you liked it!
Why use a thick chicken breast if you’re just going to slice it in half? Couldn’t two smaller and thinner chicken breasts work just as well?
Hi Joan, Yes two smaller, thinner chicken breasts will work. Enjoy!
So moist and tender, love love this recipe! Used my air fryer oven, just like the recipe 11min. and 11min on each side. Will be my favorite fried chicken meal to make again!
Hi Sheila, I am so happy you enjoyed it!
Hi. Is it 11 minutes total or 11 minutes on each side?
Hi Mary, It is 11 minutes total but I suggest you flip the chicken halfway through cooking at around 5 minutes so it gets nice and crispy on both sides.
Loved it. Making again tonight but doing chicken fingers. Thanks
Hi Sara! I am so happy you enjoyed it!