This air fryer breaded chicken breast recipe is a healthier way to enjoy fried chicken without any deep frying in oil. It comes out so crispy and juicy in less than 15 minutes, thanks to the air fryer.
You are going to become obsessed with this incredible breaded chicken breast! It is so unbelievably crispy, not to mention one of the juiciest chicken breast recipes ever!
Plus kids love it too and you can even top it with sauce and cheese and turn it into a healthy chicken Parmesan.
Pretty much anything you can cook in an oven can also be cooked in an air fryer. Because it is like a mini tabletop oven, which is amazing!
The best air fryer chicken breast recipe
- It comes out perfectly juicy on the inside, with the most amazing crispy outer layer.
- Tastes fried but without all of the oil and deep frying, thanks to the invention of the air fryer.
- When you are craving fried chicken, you can make this recipe in minutes and it is much healthier and so incredibly delicious.
- The chicken breast comes out so succulent with a nice crunchy, crispy outer layer that is so good!
Ingredients and variations
- Chicken breast – try to find nice, plump chicken breast that are organic and pasture-raised, if possible. I used 2 (5 oz) chicken breasts that I sliced in half to make cutlets. You can also buy chicken cutlets and use those in this recipe.
- Eggs – 2 large eggs
- Breadcrumbs – you can use any breadcrumbs mixture you like. Use gluten free parmesan breadcrumbs for the best results.
- Olive oil cooking spray – to help make the chicken super crispy and delicious.
- Salt and pepper
Other optional ingredients to add more flavor
- Parmesan cheese – if you are not using parmesan breadcrumbs
- Parsley – dried or fresh
- Salt and pepper – kosher salt and black pepper
- Red pepper flakes – for a nice spicy kick
- Hot sauce – to sprinkle on after the crispy chicken is cooked
- Lemon – another option to sprinkle on the chicken once it is done.
How to make breaded chicken breast in the air fryer
Make sure you check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full list of recipe ingredients and detailed instructions. Plus recipe notes and nutrition.
- Prep the chicken. Dry the chicken by patting it dry with a clean paper towel then slice it in half lengthwise with a sharp kitchen knife.
- Coat the chicken breast in the breading – Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture then in the breadcrumb mixture and set aside.
- Cook – Place the breaded chicken into the preheated air fryer and cook it at 390 degrees F for 11-12 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes then sprinkle it with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon for more flavor. Slice and serve with your favorite quick salad or healthy side dish.
It comes out so good with almost no oil! Can you believe it? This air-fryer chicken breast is literally the perfect meal prep recipe and it tastes even better the next day!
How Long Should you cook chicken in the air fryer?
Most breaded chicken breast cutlets will take around 11-15 minutes if cooked at around 390 degrees F. Cooking times will vary based on the size of the chicken breast that you use as well as the type of air fryer you have.
I used 5-ounce pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast that I sliced in half before I breaded them. It took exactly 11 minutes for it to cook perfectly. Plus it yielded a good size portion for 4 people.
To ensure the chicken breast is cooked through, you can insert a kitchen thermometer into the widest part of the chicken. Once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F then it is done.
Do I need to use oil to air-fry chicken?
This is up to you, but in my opinion, if you are making this breaded chicken breast then olive oil spray that contains much fewer calories works out just as well and results in crazy crispy and delicious chicken that tastes fried.
Now, if you are making non-breaded boneless chicken breast in the air-fryer then you will want to use a little bit of olive oil so that the chicken doesn’t dry out and still gets a nice crispy outer layer.
- Select a nice thick, plump chicken breast. You want to use a good thick chicken breast for this recipe since you will be slicing it in half, which will still result in crazy juicy amazing chicken.
- Any breadcrumbs will work in this recipe. You can use store-bought panko seasoned breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs, parmesan herb breadcrumbs, or even whole wheat breadcrumbs in this recipe.
- Dry the chicken breast well with a clean paper towel before you dredge it. This will help you get super crispy chicken once it is breaded and cooked.
- Cook the chicken at medium-high heat. Cooking this chicken at high heat will allow it to cook through and get super crispy on the outside while still keeping it super juicy on the inside. Flipping it halfway through the cooking time will also help it become evenly cooked on all sides. Note: Air fryer‘s times and temps may vary.
- To make your own parmesan breadcrumb mixture. Mix 2 cups plain breadcrumbs, with a 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
What to serve with air fryer breaded chicken breast
This chicken recipe goes so well with a number of other dishes that will make it a complete meal. Here are a few of my faves.
- Easy Maple Glazed Butternut Squash – great for fall
- Ranch Roasted Carrots – kid-friendly side
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Chickpeas – low-carb
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash – lower carb and low calorie
- Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad – for a fun healthy salad
- Air Fryer Broccoli – healthy and delicious
Storing and reheating
To store – let it cool completely, transfer it to an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: You can easily reheat this breaded chicken in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 2-3 minutes.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Amazing Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
Other healthy chicken breast recipes
- Easy Veggie Chicken Pizza Bake
- Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Taco Salad
Did you make this air fryer breaded chicken breast recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print