Spicy arugula, roasted butternut squash and beets mixed with crunchy walnuts, and creamy goat cheese. All drizzled with an incredible Orange Vinaigrette dressing! Simple lunch recipe, dinner salad or quick pick me up for those cold winter days.
Something we all need a little more of in the winter months is bright, colorful, and healthy food that gives us a boost in our mood, energy, and just overall health. I have the perfect pick me up for you! This Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad!
Spicy arugula, crunchy pecans, creamy goat cheese mixed with perfectly roasted beets and butternut squash. This salad has it all! Packed full of nutrients and vitamins we all need to kick that winter cold and get to feeling our best even if it is cold outside.
Trying to eat more veggies is so easy with recipes like this and I am finding that if I commit to having a salad for at least one meal a day then it not only helps me get the adequate amount of fruits and veggies I need but it literally takes most of the guesswork out of planning my meals.
How to make this Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
Roast the beets and squash: Arrange the chopped squash and beets onto a baking sheet. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 425 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes. Tip: When dicing the veggies, try to make them all a similar size and shape for even cooking.
While the veggies are cooking you can make the dressing. Combine some orange juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a mason jar and shake vigorously to emulsify.
Assemble: Place the arugula into a large salad bowl or platter, top it with the squash, beets, crumbled goat cheese or vegan soft cheese crumbled, chopped walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle the dressing overtop and toss! A-MAZING!
If you like this salad recipe then check out some of my other most popular and DELICIOUS salads!
For the salad
- 2 beets peeled and diced
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
For the orange viniagrette dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice or the juice a 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Roast the Beets and Squash
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Spray two baking sheets with olive oil
- Place the beets in a single layer on one of baking sheets, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use the same method for the butternut squash.
- Roast the beets and squash in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, turning the beets and squash over halfway through. Watch the beets since they may not take as long as the squash to cook.
- Remove and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
Make the orange vinaigrette dressing
- Pour the orange juice , apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and olive oil into a mason jar and shake well to emulsify.
Putting the salad together
- Place the arugula into a large bowl or platter, top with the roasted beets and squash, chopped walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, and pomegranate seeds, and lightly toss.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss it all together. Serve and enjoy!
You can make the beets and squash in advance and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Vegan Option: Sub the goat cheese with soft vegan cheese.