Spicy arugula, roasted beets and butternut squash mixed with crunchy walnuts, and creamy goat cheese. All drizzled with an incredible Orange Vinaigrette dressing! Simple lunch recipe, dinner salad or quick pick me up for those cold winter days.
Something we all need a little more of in the winter months is a bright, colorful, and healthy food that gives us a boost in our mood, energy, and just overall health. I have the perfect pick me up for you! This Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad!
Spicy arugula, crunchy pecans, creamy goat cheese mixed with perfectly roasted beets and butternut squash.
You may also go crazy for this salad’s best friend, this Easy Kale Salad With Lemon Dressing.
Why you will love this Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
- Quick and simple to make!
- Contains lots of fall and winter veggies like kale, beets and squash
- Hearty and can easily be turned into a main meal any day of the week!
- The perfect balance of tangy, sweet and crunchy.
- Great for entertaining since everyone will love this salad that can easily be made vegan and is already vegetarian and gluten-free!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make this Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
- Prep the beets and squash. To prep the beets: Peel them and then dice them into 1-inch cubes. Expert tip: To prevent the beets from staining you’re cutting board, don’t cut the beets on a wooden cutting board. I like to use a plastic cutting board and then rinse it right after I am done cutting up the beets. To prep the butternut squash: Slice the ends off of the squash, and peel the whole thing using a vegetable peeler. Then dice it up into 1-inch cubes using a sharp kitchen knife.
- Roast the beets and squash: Arrange the chopped squash and beets onto a baking sheet. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in a 425 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes. Expert Tip: When dicing the veggies, try to make them all a similar size and shape for even cooking.
While the veggies are cooking you can make the dressing.
3. To make the dressing: Combine some orange juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a mason jar and shake vigorously to emulsify. You can also add everything to a medium-size mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
4. Assemble the salad: Place the arugula into a large salad bowl or platter, top it with the squash, beets, crumbled goat cheese or vegan soft cheese crumbled, chopped walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle the dressing over top and toss! A-MAZING!
If you like this salad recipe then check out some of my other most popular and delicious healthy salads!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Cut the squash and beets in even size cubes so they cook evenly. If you are not sure how to peel and cut the butternut squash then you can check out this roasted butternut squash that explains how to do it.
- You can use arugula, spinach, or even kale in the salad to switch up the greens.
- Feta cheese or a soft vegan cheese are good substitutes for the goat cheese in this recipe.
- You can roast the squash and beets a day or two ahead to save time. Just let them cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- This salad stores great in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure to store the dressing separately and dress it when ready to eat.
Did you make this recipe? If so, then please leave a rating and comment below.
Update: This recipe was updated with better photos, expert tips, and more details on how to make the recipe.Print