Instant pot spaghetti squash takes minutes to make and it comes out perfectly tender and fluffy every, single time! It makes a great low-carb option for spaghetti and meatball dinners or as a healthy side dish!
The BEST spaghetti squash!
If you haven’t tried cooking spaghetti squash in the instant pot then you have to try it! You can have it done and ready to enjoy in under 10 minutes and it is pretty much a foolproof method for cooking spaghetti squash.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy – one of the fastest ways to cook spaghetti squash!
- Foolproof recipe – perfectly cooked every time
- Healthy – Low-carb, low-calorie, gluten-free, and paleo
- Versatile – it makes the best healthy side dish that goes with so many other recipes.
How to pick a spaghetti squash
There are a few ways to tell if a spaghetti squash is ripe.
- The color of the squash – If the squash is bright yellow (the brighter the better) then it is ripe and ready to be cooked. A pale color indicates that it still needs time to ripen.
- Scarred skin – If the squash has any black or brown indentations or marks then that means that it has either been damaged or is over-ripe. An over-ripe spaghetti squash will have less flavor and nutrition.
- Firmness – A ripe squash should have firm skin with no soft spots. Also, a heavier squash typically has more flavor as well.
Is instant pot spaghetti squash low-carb?
Yes! Spaghetti squash only has 10 grams of carbs for a 1-cup serving. It is also gluten-free and low in calories. Both are reasons why it is a good substitute for spaghetti. Now it doesn’t taste like spaghetti but the long strands (aka what gives it its name) resemble spaghetti which makes it a great low-carb option.
How long do you cook spaghetti squash?
There are multiple ways you can cook spaghetti squash. It typically tastes the same no matter how you cook it so the method you choose is really up to you. For this Instant Pot Recipe, it only took about 7 minutes to cook which was an incredible time-saver! Here are some other ways you can cook spaghetti squash and how long it typically takes for each method.
- Roasting (45 minutes)- You can easily roast it in the oven. Simply slice it in half using a large, sharp knife, clean out the seeds, drizzle the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay it face down onto a baking sheet and roast it in a 375F degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.
- Microwave (10 minutes) – To cook spaghetti squash in the microwave: Simply slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, place it face down in a microwave-safe dish and cook on high for about 10 minutes.
How to cook Spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot
- First, cut the squash in half either lengthwise or horizontally. I cut it horizontally to fit in my instant pot better. Cutting it horizontally will yield longer strands that mimic the look of spaghetti. If it is too hard to cut then just put it in the microwave and cook it for about 3 minutes to soften it a bit so it is easier to cut.
- Then scoop out the seeds using a spoon. I use the spoon to cut a circle around the inside of the squash to make it easier to scoop the seeds out.
3. Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of your instant pot and place the steaming trivet inside.
4. Place the squash inside the instant pot.
5. Secure the lid, and set the instant pot in “manual mode” to “pressure cook” for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes the pressure will either naturally release. Once the pressure has fully released carefully remove the lid and lift the spaghetti squash out using tongs.
6. Pour out any excess liquid that may be inside the squash after it cooks. Let it cool for a couple of minutes then use a fork to remove the long strands. I like to run the fork around the edges to get nice long strands of squash that resemble spaghetti.
7. Place the cooked spaghetti squash strands into a large bowl and discard the skins. Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter or regular butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Pour in some freshly diced parsley and chives along with 1-2 cloves of garlic minced. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Sprinkle on some freshly grated parmesan and Enjoy! It is so incredibly delicious!
Tips for cooking instant pot spaghetti squash
- Pick a ripe squash. You want to make sure the squash is not too big so it fits in the instant pot and has more flavor. The heavier the squash the better. You also want to pick a squash that is bright in color with little to no dents of indentations.
- You can slice the squash in half as I did in this recipe or cook it whole (which takes 15 minutes + release time). In my opinion, it yields the same result and it is harder to remove the seeds from a cooked squash.
- If you have any trouble cutting the squash, then you can place it in the microwave for 3 minutes to help soften it.
- What to serve with spaghetti squash? You can serve it with butter and herbs along with some cooked protein of choice like these easy baked eggplant meatballs or these butternut squash vegan meatballs, by itself as a healthy side dish or even with a fried egg on top for breakfast.
More healthy squash recipes
- Perfect Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Butternut Squash
- The Best Mashed Butternut Squash
- Simple Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash
Did you try this instant pot spaghetti squash recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print