Fluffy, herby, garlicky spaghetti squash cooked in the instant pot. 7 minutes, super easy and the perfect way to enjoy this beautiful vegetable!!!! A great low-carb, healthy meal option!!!!
Installment number two of my Instant Pot Recipes and this one is at the top of the list! I have made this Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash at least 4 times in the last two weeks and I am still not sick of it. That’s how good it is!
Fluffy, soft, stringy like spaghetti and full of so much amazing garlic and herb flavor! I sprinkled some parmesan on top and I literally could have eaten the whole thing. Which probably wouldn’t have been that bad since spaghetti squash is pretty low in calories and it is a vegetable after all right?
How can you tell when spaghetti squash is ripe?
Spaghetti squash is a cold winter vegetable and something you can buy all year round. A good reason why it’s important to know how to check for ripeness since it just simply tastes better when it’s ripe.
There are a few ways to tell if a spaghetti squash is ripe.
- The color of the squash – If the squash is bright yellow (the brighter the better) then it is ripe and ready to be cooked. A pale color indicates that it still needs time to ripen.
- Scarred skin – If the squash has any black or brown indentations or marks then that means that it has either been damaged or is over-ripe. An over-ripe spaghetti squash will have less flavor and nutrition.
- Firmness – A ripe squash should have firm skin with no soft spots. Also, a heavier squash typically has more flavor as well.
Is spaghetti squash low-carb?
Yes! Spaghetti squash only has 10 grams of carbs for a 1 cup serving. It is also gluten-free and low in calories. Both reasons why it is a good substitute for spaghetti. Now it doesn’t taste like spaghetti but the long strands (aka what gives it it’s name) resemble spaghetti which makes it a great low-carb option.
How long do you cook spaghetti squash?
There are multiple ways you can cook spaghetti squash. It typically tastes the same no matter how you cook it so the method you choose is really up to you. For this Instant Pot Recipe, it only took about 7 minutes to cook which was an incredible time-saver! Here are some other ways you can cook spaghetti squash and how long it typically takes for each method.
- Roasting (45 minutes)- You can easily roast it in the oven. Simply slice it in half using a large, sharp knife, clean out the seeds, drizzle the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay it face down onto a baking sheet and roast it in a 375F degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.
- Microwave (10 minutes) – To cook spaghetti squash in the microwave: Simply slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, place it face down in a microwave-safe dish and cook on high for about 10 minutes. Until a knife can easily be inserted and the squash strands are easy to pull away from the skin.
How to cook instant pot Spaghetti squash
First cut the squash in half either lengthwise or horizontally. I cut it horizontally to fit in my instant pot better. Cutting it horizontally will yield longer strands that mimic the look of spaghetti. If it is too hard to cut then just put it in the microwave and cook it for about 3 minutes to soften it a bit so it is easier to cut.
Then scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Super easy and kind of fun to do.
Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of your instant pot and place the steaming trivet inside.
Place the spaghetti squash into the instant pot either cut side up or both halves facing each other. You don’t want to place it face down since the inside may fall into the bottom of the pot while it cooks. You can also rub the inside of each half with some olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper before placing it into the instant pot for even more flavor.
Place the lid on and secure it shut. Set the instant pot to “pressure cook” in manual mode on high for 7 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release after 7 minutes. Then remove the lid and very carefully remove the squash. Be careful since it will be very hot. Pour out any excess liquid that may be inside the squash after it cooks. Let it cool for a couple of minutes then use a fork to remove the long strands.
Place the cooked spaghetti squash strands into a large bowl and discard the skins. Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter or regular butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Pour in some freshly diced parsley and chives along with 1-2 cloves of garlic minced. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Sprinkle on some freshly grated parmesan and Enjoy! It is so incredibly delicious!
Here are some other spaghetti squash recipes you may also like
Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp chives
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Prep the spaghetti squash
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half. If it is too hard to cut then cook it in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften it up. Once it's cut then scoop out the seeds and discard them.
Cook the spaghetti squash
- Pour 1 cup of warm water into the bottom of the instant pot and place the steaming trivet on the bottom. Place the two halves of the squash into the instant pot on the trivet either facing each other or face-up.
- Place the lid on and secure it. Set the instant pot in manual mode to "pressure cook" on high for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, let the pressure naturally release. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, carefully remove the spaghetti squash and pour out any excess liquid that may be inside. Let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Using a fork, pull the long strands of squash away from the skin. Continue until you have removed all of the strands. Discard the skins.
- This recipe is best with a ripe spaghetti squash. To tell if your spaghetti squash is ripe: Make sure it is bright yellow, has no indentations or dark marks on it and has very firm skin.
- This recipe is great for meal prep and stores perfectly in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To freshen it up you could add a squeeze of lemon and some more parmesan.