This Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice is packed with amazing Mediterranean flavors. It is so easy to make and goes with anything like chicken, pork, or seafood. This low-carb rice bowl is so delicious, plus it is vegan, gluten-free, and paleo.
Mediterranean cauliflower rice is a great low-carb option, especially if you are following a low-carb diet. It is packed with so much great flavor from the garlic, shallots, parsley, and pine nuts and the toppings take it to a whole new level!
Cauliflower really is a wonderful substitute for so many things. We love these buffalo cauliflower wings, cauliflower bites, and cauliflower gnocchi. This incredible cauliflower rice is my new favorite!
Even people that claim they do not like cauliflower, love this Mediterranean cauliflower rice. Every time I make it, it is one of the first things everyone eats. Which is good because it makes a good amount of food.
Why you’ll love this Mediterranean cauliflower rice
- It only takes 10 minutes!
- Quick and easy side dish.
- Goes with everything like chicken, pork, or fish.
- Packed with delicious Mediterranean flavors like garlic, parsley, and lemon.
- Mediterranean cauliflower makes the best low-carb rice dish that everyone will love!
- Vegan, gluten-free, and paleo.
Ingredients you will need
- Cauliflower – 1 medium head of cauliflower or fresh, precut cauliflower florets (about 6 cups).
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil, butter, or avocado oil.
- Shallots + garlic – for extra flavor. Red onion and garlic paste would also work fine.
- Pine nuts – for that nice crunchy, nutty taste and texture.
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
- Parsley – to add an herby, green flavor and color to the cauliflower rice.
- Optional toppings for Mediterranean cauliflower rice – Cherry tomatoes, olives, feta, and chickpeas.
How to make Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- Make the cauliflower rice – chop the cauliflower into florets, and place the florets into the bowl of a food processor. Cover and pulse a few times until it breaks down into the rice.
- Toast the pine nuts.
- Cook the cauliflower rice – heat a pan to medium heat with some oil, add the shallots and garlic, and cook for a few minutes. Then stir in the cauliflower rice and toss and cook it for 3-5 minutes.
- Finish and serve. Stir in the parsley, a squeeze of lemon if desired, and more salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced olives, more parsley, and a squeeze of lemon. You could also add some crumbled feta cheese and chickpeas to this Mediterranean cauliflower rice bowl.
Pro tip! You can rice the cauliflower 2 days in advance and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it!
Substitutions and Variations
- Fresh cauliflower rice works best but frozen cauliflower rice can be used if that is what you have on hand. It may take slightly longer to cook in the pan but it will still work.
- Red onion or yellow onion can be used in place of the shallots.
- Butter can be used in place of the oil.
- Add some protein – this mediterranean cauliflower rice is great topped with some cooked sliced chicken, or even crispy tofu to make it a complete meal.
- This recipe is already vegan, dairy-free, paleo, and gluten free!
Tips for Success
- Use fresh cauliflower and not frozen. Although frozen cauliflower rice will work in this recipe, it will come out much lighter and fluffier with fresh riced cauliflower.
- Cook the rice in some oil. This helps the cauliflower become nice and soft with a wonderful flavor. The oil mixed with the flavor of the shallots and garlic is amazing.
- Top it! This Mediterranean cauliflower rice is even better topped with sliced cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, parsley, lemon, and a little crumbled feta cheese.
Storing and reheating cauliflower rice
Mediterranean cauliflower rice stores and reheats beautifully. To store it, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Easily reheat it in the microwave until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
This Mediterranean cauliflower rice is a great make-ahead side dish since it stores and reheats really well. Let it cool completely then keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
Can you freeze cauliflower rice?
This cauliflower rice recipe is best if eaten within a few days. I don’t recommend freezing it since it gets slightly mushy and will lose some of its flavors.
Can you use pre-cooked cauliflower rice?
This recipe will turn out best with fresh riced cauliflower since it just gets so fluffy and flavorful as it cooks. Although you can use pre-cooked, riced cauliflower it won’t turn out as delicious.
Ways to serve Mediterranean cauliflower rice
You can serve this healthy side dish with many things. Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve it!
Other low-carb side dishes to try
Did you try this Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print