These homemade Bagel Chips are irresistibly crunchy and cook in the air fryer in just 5 minutes! Enjoy them as a light and richly flavorful healthy snack everyone will love. Customize them to your taste or even make them gluten-free.
My family loves bagels in the air fryer so of course we had to try making air fryer bagel chips! Let me tell you, these chips have already become a staple snack for my kids. They love them plain or dipped in ranch or hummus, plus they store great for up to 3 weeks. If they last that long, haha.
Since these mini bagels were such a hit, I figured these chips would be just as popular and I was right!
You will love that these bagel chips are made with bakery-fresh bagels, have no weird ingredients or preservatives, and you can even make them with gluten-free bagels for gluten-free bagel chips.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy healthy snack!
- Healthy – make them gluten-free, vegan, or dairy-free!
- Simple air fryer recipe – great for beginners!
- Only 3 ingredients
- Crunchy, flavorful chips you can eat, guilt-free with no preservatives.
Ingredients For Homemade Bagel Chips
You only need 3 simple ingredients to make these amazing air fryer bagel chips.
- Bagels – any bagels will work, I used bakery-fresh bagels but I have also tested this recipe with store-bought bagels and they also worked great! Note: make sure the bagels are not split since you need whole bagels to cut them into chips.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil or olive oil spray will both work to help get the bagel chips nice and golden and allow the salt to stick to them as they cook.
- Salt – to enhance the flavor of the bagels.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list of recipe ingredients, instructions, and nutrition.
Recommended Tools For Making This Recipe
How To Make Homemade Bagel Chips In The Air Fryer
Making your own homemade bagel chips could not be easier with the use of the air fryer. They come out golden and crispy in less than 5 minutes! Here is a summary of the step-by-step instructions for how to make them.
Step one – Cut each bagel in half to make a C-shape, then cut each one again and use a sharp knife to cut them into even slices, about ⅛ inch thick. The thickness strikes the perfect balance between crispiness and sturdiness.
Step two – Place the bagel chips into a medium bowl, drizzle them with oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and toss them lightly to coat them in the oil and seasoning.
Step three – Preheat the air fryer to 380°degrees F. Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Place the seasoned bagel chips into the air fryer basket and shake the basket to spread the chips in an even layer with only a few overlapping.
Step four – Cook the bagel chips for 4-6 minutes until golden, flip them in the air fryer basket halfway through the cooking time.
Serve and enjoy!
- Use a sharp knife to cut the bagels into chips so they don’t crumble as you cut them. A bread knife or serrated knife worked great but a sharp kitchen knife works fine too.
- The thinner you cut the chips the quicker they will cook. I cut mine into about ⅛ inch thick chips and they cooked in about 5 minutes. I recommend checking them at 3 minutes and then continue cooking as needed.
- Olive oil spray can be used in place of olive oil to cut down on calories and fat.
- If you have a smaller air fryer then you will want to cook the chips in batches since too much overlapping will result in the chips cooking unevenly.
- To prevent the bagel chips from flying around the air fryer, place a metal trivet on top of them while they cook. Note: I did not have this problem but I know it does happen with some air fryers.
- Let the bagel chips sit for a few minutes before serving since they will get even crispier as they cool.
- Everything bagel seasoning – add a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning to the chips before you cook them for even more flavor. You could also use everything bagels.
- Garlic – add 1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder when seasoning the chips before you cook them for garlic bagel chips.
- Oil and vinegar – add a dash of vinegar to the chips along with the oil and salt for that salt and vinegar combo that so many people love. I like to use rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar for this.
How To Store Bagel Chips
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. How great is that?
Yes, to make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free bagels.
Cut and season the bagel chips as noted in this recipe. Spread them onto a lined baking sheet and bake them at 300°F for 15 minutes. Flip and cook for 5 more minutes until golden and crispy. Watch them so they don’t burn.
Yes! Any type of bagel will work. I found that bakery-style bagels worked better than store-bought but either will work!
More Healthy Chips Recipes To Try:
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Baked Beet Chips
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Air fryer Zucchini Chips
- Healthy Apple Chips
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print