Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
You are going to go crazy for this quick and easy Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast. It only takes 20 minutes and the chicken is cooked until perfectly juicy and succulent then slathered in a bold, sticky bbq sauce. This is a protein-packed meal that even the kids will love!
This air fryer bbq chicken recipe is going to be your new favorite quick and easy dinner. The chicken breast is perfectly cooked in under 20 minutes and slathered in a delicious bbq sauce of your choice. It comes out wonderfully juicy and flavorful every time and it is so simple to make!
I love cooking any chicken recipe in the air fryer, like crispy breaded chicken breast or even chicken nuggets. But this bbq chicken recipe is now my new favorite. You can come home, whip it up in literally minutes and have dinner on the table in no time! It goes so well with some air fryer vegetables for a simple, healthy dinner that everyone will enjoy!
You may also love these crazy good BBQ Meatballs that are also kid-friendly and so easy to make!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- A protein-packed meal ready in 20 minutes!
- Loaded with amazing flavor and only requires a few simple ingredients.
- Totally kid-friendly!
- Great for meal prep!
- Perfectly cooked, juicy chicken EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken breast – 2-3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 6-7 ounces each. You really want to make sure they are the same size for even cooking.
- BBQ sauce – Use any bbq sauce you like in this recipe. I love Sweet Baby Ray’s or Primal Kitchen brands. If you need to keep this recipe gluten-free then make sure you use a gluten-free bbq sauce like Stubb’s brand. See more suggestions below.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
- Seasoning – a basic seasoning for the chicken made up of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper.
How to make air fryer bbq chicken
*Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of this post for the complete list of ingredients and instructions, plus nutritional information.
- Prepare and season. Dry the chicken breast with a clean paper towel. Then brush each piece of chicken with olive oil. Mix up the seasoning blend and rub it all over each piece of chicken.
- Cook. Place the seasoned chicken in a single layer in the air fryer and cook it at 390 degrees F for 8 minutes. Flip each piece over and cook for 8-9 more minutes.
- Brush with BBQ Sauce. Remove the chicken from the air fryer and place it on a large plate or cutting board. Brush each piece of chicken with a generous amount of BBQ sauce. Return the chicken to the air fryer and cook it at 390 degrees F for 2 more minutes.
- Serve. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the air fryer and place it on a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes before you cut and serve it.
- Use chicken breasts that are the same size so they cook at the same time. If the chicken is uneven in some places then you can use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them out until they are even all around.
- Turn the chicken over halfway through the cooking time to ensure they cook all the way through. Chicken should be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- For the best results, season the chicken well all over before you cook it.
- Make sure to add the bbq sauce at the end since it can burn if you add it to the chicken at the start of the cooking time. Per the recipe card below.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice it for the juiciest chicken.
Note: Air fryer cooking times and temperature may vary. Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. You can check this using a meat thermometer.
What is the best bbq sauce to use for BBQ Chicken Breast?
Any bbq sauce will work in this easy chicken recipe. Here are a few of my favorite brands to use.
- Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Primal Kitchen
- Stubb’s – Gluten free
- Sticky Finger’s
- Or you can make your own homemade bbq sauce.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breast but you will need to thaw it first. You can do this by placing the frozen chicken in the refrigerator overnight and then cooking it the next day. You can also defrost chicken in the microwave or submerge it in water that is 140 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
Yes, chicken things will also work but you will need to cook them at a slightly higher temperature at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then cover them in the bbq sauce and cook for 5 more minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
It is recommended to season the chicken with olive oil and spices before you cook it for the best flavor and deliciously juicy chicken.
Storing and reheating tips
- Storing – You can store this air fryer bbq chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheating – Reheat it in the microwave or in the air fryer at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
This air fryer bbq chicken goes with so many things. Here are some delicious ways to serve it!
- Enjoy it with some healthy potato salad or slaw.
- Serve it with some sweet potato wedges.
- Pair it with a kale quinoa salad for a fast and healthy meal.
- For a kid-friendly meal, serve it with some fries and extra bbq sauce!
- Enjoy it in a bbq chicken salad! So good!
More air fryer chicken recipes
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Low-Carb Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Did you try this air fryer bbq chicken recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken – 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
You will love this air fryer bbq chicken breast recipe that is quick and easy to make in only 20 minutes! Perfectly cooked, juicy chicken, covered in a sticky and flavorful bbq sauce that comes out great every time! This a chicken recipe the whole family will love!
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. This usually takes about 5 minutes for most air fryers.
- Dry the chicken breasts generously with a clean paper towel. Then brush each piece of chicken all over with some olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and rub it all over the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray to prevent sticking and place the seasoned chicken breasts into the air fryer in a single layer. Close and cook the chicken for 8 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Flip each piece of chicken over and cook it for 8-9 more minutes.
- Then remove the chicken from the air fryer and place it onto a clean plate or cutting board. Brush each piece with a generous amount of bbq sauce all over the top and sides.
- Place the chicken back into the air fryer and cook it for 2 more minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Once the chicken is done cooking. Remove it from the air fryer and place it onto a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice and serve it.
- Chicken – use good quality boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 6.5 ounces each. Add about 1 minute of cooking time per side for each additional ounce of chicken. For example, add 1-2 minutes of cooking time for 7-ounce chicken breasts or reduce the cooking time by 1-2 minutes per side for 5 ounces.
- Seasoning – use any seasoning you like for the chicken or use the recommended herbs and spices noted in this recipe.
- BBQ sauce – any bbq sauce will work in this recipe. See suggestion in post.
- Air frying times and temperature – this will vary based on your air fryer. I tested this recipe in 2 air different air fryers and it came out perfectly cooked using 5-ounce chicken breasts.
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer bbq chicken, air fryer bbq chicken breast, bbq recipe, easy
Leave a Reply