This incredibly easy hummus recipe is so quick to make. It comes together in 5 minutes and is made in the blender with chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. All blended until perfectly creamy and delicious. It makes an easy appetizer or snack that everyone will love! Vegan, gluten free, dairy free!
This incredible hummus recipe takes 5 minutes and it makes the best healthy dip or spread. You can make it with pantry ingredients for a quick and easy appetizer or snack.
It comes out super smooth and creamy and requires no extra steps like peeling the skin off of the chickpeas or boiling them. Which means it is a little bit chunkier but still smooth and so delicious! That is why it is my go-to hummus recipe.
This recipe is slightly easier and less high maintenance but still results in that smooth, flavor packed hummus that is perfect for dipping veggies or spreading onto a wrap.
Why you’ll love this homemade hummus recipe
- Its super easy and can be made in 5 minutes!
- It is made with pantry ingredients like chickpeas, tahini, and olive oil
- You can make it very easily in the blender or food processor.
- It is the perfect recipe for a quick dip or spread on sandwiches or wraps.
- Gluten free, vegan, dairy free!
What is hummus?
Hummus is a smooth dip or spread that originated in the Middle East. It is made from blending chickpeas with ingredients like tahini, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. You can add in other variations and of course you can buy a variety of flavors at most grocery stores.
Although this homemade version is so simple and easy to make. I am sure you will never want to buy store-bought hummus again.
Is hummus good for you?
Yes! It is so good for digestion and a healthy gut since chickpeas contain plant based protein and fiber. Not to mention the other healthy ingredients like garlic, tahini and lemon that are also anti-inflammatory and good for a healthy immune system as well.
What is a good method for making the best hummus recipe?
This one is really simple. Add the ingredients to a high speed blender but make sure to add the liquids first then the chickpeas for easier blending. If needed, add a little bit of water or more lemon juice to smooth it out. That’s it! How easy is that?
Now, there are other methods that require a little bit more effort but this is the best way to make quick hummus, at home in 5 minutes! Plus, it’s delicious!
Ingredients needed to make classic hummus
- Chickpeas – canned, drained chickpeas work best in this recipe but you can also use soaked chickpeas.
- Tahini paste – essential for giving the hummus a nutty flavor as well as that nice, smooth, rich texture.
- Lemon – just a hint of lemon makes this hummus recipe taste fresh and light.
- Garlic – 2 garlic cloves for incredible flavor
- Olive oil – to help smooth it all out
- Salt & pepper – kosher salt and ground black pepper to enhance all of the amazing hummus flavors.
How to make the best hummus recipe
Anyone can make hummus, especially this 5 ingredient, 5 minute hummus that is so delicious and it is also vegan and gluten free so everyone can enjoy it!
- Combine ingredients – add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Blend – pulse until smooth and creamy, about 60 seconds. Add some water if needed.
- Garnish and Serve the hummus – pour the hummus into a bowl and top it with a nice drizzle of olive oil, some chickpeas, chili powder and chopped parsley. It is the best hummus recipe for a quick snack, party or addition to sandwiches or wraps.
Serve with crunchy veggies and pita chips. It’s so creamy and delicious!
Ways to serve hummus
Hummus is traditionally served as a dip with pita chips and fresh cut veggies but there are many ways you can serve it.
- On Sandwiches or wraps: Such as on this Vegan Sandwich, hummus wrap or on this hummus sandwich.
- Top to with some fun toppings: Such as: Oven Roasted Crispy Chickpeas, Taco Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas or this Homemade Basil pesto.
- On toast. Just add a little spread of this hummus on some toasted bread for a quick and hearty snack.
- Mix it in into some potatoes: Such as mashed potatoes or top a baked potato with a dollop of this hummus.
- Enjoy it as a side or dip: Such as with some roasted veggies or steamed edamame. You can also use it as a dip for chicken tenders.
Other favorite dip recipes
Looking for some more easy and fun dip recipe? Here are some of my faves!
- Easy Roasted Vegetable Dip
- Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Classic Homemade Hummus
- Simple Beet Pesto
- Healthy Tzatziki Sauce
Expert tips for making the best hummus
- Use low sodium organic chickpeas. Using low-sodium beans allows you to control the salt in this recipe and results in a better tasting hummus.
- Make the hummus in a high-speed blender or food processor. The speed of he blender matters since a higher speed will help break down the chickpeas and the other ingredients into a super smooth hummus. It’s pretty amazing.
- Use a good tahini paste that is nice and drippy so you can easily pour it into the blender, plus is will blend up better if it is nice and creamy.
- Add extra water if needed to blend the hummus smoother. Do not add extra oil since it will make the hummus way too oily. You can top the hummus with oil but do not add too much to the main recipe.
- Top the hummus with some yummy toppings like a nice drizzle of olive oil, some cooked chickpeas, salt and pepper, chili powder or paprika, or some chopped parsley.
- To store this hummus, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Did you try this best hummus recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print