This perfectly flavourful Air Fryer Whole Chicken is the best way to get that rotisserie chicken flavor with crispy skin and a juicy center every time.
The BEST Air Fryer Whole Chicken
I love cooking so many different things in my air fryer and this air fryer whole chicken has got to be my new favorite way to cook chicken. It is so easy and simple to make and it is likely the only way I will cook a whole chicken from here on out. My family is obsessed with it!
Check out some of my other easy, healthy air fryer chicken recipes.
This recipe is pretty much hands off except for seasoning the chicken because the air fryer pretty much does all of the work for you.
What you will need to make this recipe
Whole Chicken: As always you want to use the highest quality chicken you can afford. Pasture-raised, organic chicken is best. Make sure to choose a whole chicken that will fit in your air fryer. I found that 3lb-5lb chickens fit in most air fryers.
The seasoning: I chose to use garlic powder, onion powder, Chili Powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper but you can use any spice blend you prefer.
How to cook a whole chicken in the air fryer
- Prep the chicken. Use a clean paper towel to dry the chicken really well all over, including the inside cavity of the chicken.
- Season. In a small bowl, mix up the seasoning. Rub the olive oil all over the entire chicken, including the inside cavity. Then use your hands to rub the seasoning mixture all over the chicken.
- Cook. Place the chicken, breast side down into the air fryer basket. Close and cook at 360 degrees for 50 minutes. Then carefully flip the chicken over and cook it for 10 more minutes (see cooking recommendations below).
- Let rest, carve and serve. Now this is easier said then done, so here is a great video on how to carve a whole chicken.
You will not believe how incredible this chicken is. It is going to blow your mind, it is so good! Juicy, tender and so flavourful every single time!
Here are some of my favorite ways to serve this chicken.
- Use it in this amazing BBQ Chicken Salad
- Add it on top of this Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Serve it alongside these incredible Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Enjoy it as a healthy meal addition to this Lemon and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Pile it on top of this Israeli Couscous Salad
More easy air fryer Recipes to try:
- Crispy Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Breaded chicken Breast
- Juicy Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Ground Chicken Meatballs
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Make sure your chicken fits in your air fryer. I have a 5.7 quart air fryer that can fit about a 5.5 pound whole chicken. Some of the smaller air fryers can only fit a 3 pound chicken, so make sure it fits before you start cooking.
- What is the best temperature to cook a whole chicken in the air fryer ? The best temperature to cook chicken in the air fryer is 360 degrees F. This allows the chicken to cook perfectly all the way through and still get a nice crispy skin and juicy center.
- How long does it take to cook a whole chicken in the air fryer? Most chickens that are 3lbs-5lbs will take between 45-50 minutes. For the best results, cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Do I need to tie the legs together for air fryer chicken? I didn’t think it was necessary to tie the legs since they didn’t burn but feel free to tie them if you prefer to.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print