This air fryer asparagus is the perfect side dish to accompany any meal. It’s quick, easy, and bursting with flavor. The garlic and Italian seasoning add a delicious depth of flavor to the asparagus, while the air fryer cooking method gives it a crispy texture that’s hard to resist.
You are going to love cooking asparagus in the Air fryer! It is a fantastic side dish that offers a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. I mean asparagus is probably the easiest vegetable to cook since you can simply roast it, turn it into an asparagus soup, or cook it on a sheet pan with some potatoes.
Of course, you definitely want to try cooking it in the air fryer because it is absolutely fabulous and comes out perfectly crispy and flavorful every single time!
Is Asparagus Healthy?
Not only is air fryer asparagus delicious, but it’s also a healthy alternative for those on a low-carb diet. Asparagus is a nutrient-dense vegetable that’s packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as folate and potassium. By air frying the asparagus, you can enjoy all of these health benefits without the added fat and calories.
Plus, it is quick and easy to make, making it a great choice for busy weeknights when you want to get a healthy and delicious side dish on the table in no time.
Here is some more information on the health benefits of eating asparagus.
Why you’ll love this asparagus recipe
I absolutely adore my air fryer and I use it daily since it cooks everything from potatoes to chicken so easily. Once you try this air fryer asparagus it will be the only way you cook vegetables from now on!
- Crispy and flavorful
- Quick and easy
- Healthy side dish
- Versatile and pairs great with other dishes
How to trim asparagus
Here are two ways to trim asparagus:
- Hold each asparagus spear at both ends and gently bend it until it snaps. This will indicate where the tender part ends and the tough part begins.
- Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, trim off the tough part of the asparagus, usually about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the spear. This is how I prefer to do it, as shown above.
Rinse the trimmed asparagus spears under cold water and they’re ready to cook!
Ingredients you will need
- Asparagus – you will need fresh asparagus that is firm, bright green in color, with closed tips, which means it is nice and fresh, and delicious.
- Olive oil – Just a little bit of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil to help the asparagus crisp up as it cooks while also allowing the seasoning to stick to it.
- Seasoning – garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper
- Pecorino cheese and lemon – optional finishing ingredients for adding even more flavor when you serve the cooked asparagus.
How To Make Air Fryer Asparagus
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Rinse and dry the asparagus then carefully trim/cut off the woody ends.
- Add the asparagus to a shallow pan or large bowl, drizzle it with olive oil, and season it well with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and toss to coat it all in the seasoning.
- Place the trimmed asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the for 5-10 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Per the recipe card below.
- Remove the asparagus from the air fryer and serve immediately with a sprinkle of pecorino cheese and lemon.
- Choose the right asparagus: Look for asparagus spears that are firm, straight, and bright green. Avoid any that are limp, discolored, or have a woody texture.
- Trim the asparagus: To trim the asparagus, simply snap off the woody ends at the bottom of each spear. You can also use a knife to cut off the ends, but snapping them off is quick and easy.
- Season it well: To give your asparagus plenty of flavors, be sure to season it well with salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs or spices. For this recipe, we recommend using garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket: It’s important to arrange the asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly. Don’t overcrowd the basket, as this can cause the asparagus to steam rather than roast.
- Shake the basket: About halfway through the cooking time, shake the air fryer basket to ensure that the asparagus cooks evenly on all sides.
- Adjust the cooking time: The cooking time for air fryer asparagus may vary depending on the size of the spears and the wattage of your air fryer. Keep an eye on the asparagus and adjust the cooking time as needed to ensure it’s cooked to your liking.
- Serve immediately: For the best texture and flavor, serve the air fryer asparagus immediately after cooking. This will ensure it’s crispy and hot.
Cooking times for asparagus in the air fryer
Asparagus can vary in thickness, so here are some cooking time recommendations to use as a guide when making this recipe.
- Thin asparagus: 3-4 minutes
- Medium-thick asparagus: 4-7 minutes
- Thick asparagus: 7-10 minutes
Ways to serve air fryer asparagus
Here are a few ways to serve cooked asparagus:
- Serve it as a side dish: asparagus makes a delicious and healthy side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses, such as grilled chicken, fish, or steak.
- Add it to salads: Sliced or chopped cooked asparagus makes a great addition to salads, adding crunch, flavor, and nutrients.
- Mix it into a quiche: Like in this amazing asparagus quiche or in an omelet.
- Make it into a soup: Puree-cooked asparagus with some broth and seasonings to make a creamy and flavorful soup.
- Top pizzas or flatbreads: Cooked asparagus can be used as a topping for pizzas or flatbreads, along with other vegetables and cheese.
- Use it as a sandwich or wrap filling: Cooked asparagus can be added to sandwiches or wraps, along with other fillings such as hummus, avocado, and cheese.
- Incorporate it into pasta dishes: Cooked asparagus pairs well with pasta, making it a great addition to pasta dishes such as fettuccine Alfredo, pasta primavera, or pasta with pesto sauce.
- Make it into a dip: Puree-cooked asparagus with some Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and seasonings to make a healthy and delicious dip for veggies or pita chips.
Storing and reheating instructions
- To store air fryer asparagus, place it in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Making it wonderful for meal prep!
- Freezing cooked asparagus: I do not recommend freezing it since it will get quite mushy and lose a lot of its flavor.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the asparagus in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Avoid reheating asparagus in the microwave, as this can cause it to become mushy and lose its crispy texture.
FAQs about asparagus
Fresh asparagus will be firm, bright green in color, and will have closed tips. It also shouldn’t be too smelly or slimy.
How to cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Spread the frozen asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer basket, and spray with cooking oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove the asparagus from the air fryer, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
When stored properly, fresh asparagus can last up to a week in the refrigerator before you cook it. It is important to keep it in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator and to avoid washing it until you are ready to use it to prevent it from spoiling prematurely.
Recommended tools for making this recipe
More healthy air fryer vegetable recipes
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Easy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Healthy Air Fryer Broccoli
Check out all of my easy air fryer recipes on PMG!
Did you try this air fryer asparagus recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out! Plus, your comments are helpful and help others find recipes like this more easily.Print