Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets that have an amazing golden, crispy crust and a crazy juicy center. This healthier fried chicken recipe can be made in under 30 minutes for an amazing chicken dinner everyone will love!
These oven-baked chicken cutlets are perfectly juicy on the inside with an amazing golden crispy crust that you are going to love!
This chicken recipe is easy to make and is a healthier “fried chicken” that requires no deep frying in oil. Trust me! It is so incredibly delicious that most people actually have told me they cannot believe it is not fried!
What’s better than crispy breaded chicken that is loaded with flavor and goes with pretty much anything? Plus it stores and reheats great too! Easily top it with some tomato sauce and cheese for a Healthy Chicken Parmesan that even the kids will go crazy for!
Short on time? Try these Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets that are just as delicious and can be ready in under 15 minutes!
Why you’ll love these oven-baked chicken cutlets
- Quick and easy chicken dinner!
- Perfectly crispy, juicy chicken EVERY TIME!
- Requires only a few simple ingredients.
- Crispy chicken with much less oil than fried chicken.
- Easily made gluten-free.
- Stores and reheats are great!
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken breast – I used 5-6 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Breadcrumbs – You can use any breadcrumbs you like, even gluten-free will work!
- Shredded parmesan cheese – This is optional. You can also sub with Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Eggs – these act as a binder to help the breading stick to the chicken. You will need 2 large eggs.
- Milk – you can use non-dairy or plain milk. Make sure it is unsweetened.
- Seasoning – I used chili powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper but you can use any blend you like on the chicken.
How to make oven-baked chicken cutlets
- Prepare the chicken: slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise so it yields two even pieces from each chicken breast. Place each chicken cutlet between some plastic wrap and pound it out thin to 1/4 inch thickness. You can use a meat tenderizer if you have one or a rolling pin like I used.
- Mix up the coating: in a medium size shallow dish, crack the eggs, add the milk and some salt and pepper and whisk well to combine. In a separate shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, seasoning, and salt and, pepper.
- Coat the chicken cutlets: dip each chicken cutlet into the egg then the breading, pressing the breadcrumb mixture into the chicken on both sides. Then place the coated chicken on the lined baking sheet.
- Cook: bake the breaded chicken cutlets at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes until golden and cooked through. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when it is done. Per the recipe card below.
- Serve: Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes then serve it hot with your favorite sides.
- Try to use chicken breasts that are similar in size and cut them into even size pieces so everything cooks evenly.
- Season the eggs and breadcrumb mixture well with salt and pepper so all of the layers of the chicken have lots of flavors.
- You can use pre-seasoned breadcrumbs that you can find at most grocery stores. If you use seasoned breadcrumbs then you do not need to add the seasoning blend.
- For even more flavor, you can marinate the chicken before you coat it and bake it. To do this, pound the chicken out into cutlets, then place it into a bowl with your favorite chicken marinade and marinate it for 30 minutes or even overnight. Then follow the rest of the recipe.
- For super crispy chicken, spray the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray right before you bake them.
How do you store crispy baked chicken?
Once you have cooked the chicken cutlets, let them cool completely then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How do I reheat breaded chicken?
These baked chicken cutlets will reheat best in the oven. Place them onto a lined baking sheet and reheat them at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. This will ensure they are still crispy and delicious but will not dry out.
How to pound out chicken breast into cutlets?
First, you need to slice each chicken breast in half, lengthwise. You can do this using a sharp kitchen knife and slicing the chicken breast in half by starting at the largest end and slicing it all the way through.
Then place each chicken cutlet between some plastic wrap or parchment paper and use a meat mallet/tenderizer or rolling pin to pound the chicken cutlet until it reaches about 1/4 inch in thickness.
How long does it take to bake chicken cutlets?
I baked these breaded chicken cutlets for 16-17 minutes are 400 degrees and turned them over halfway through the cooking time. They were perfectly cooked through with a wonderful crispy outer layer and juicy center. If you are using larger, thicker chicken cutlets then it will take a bit longer for them to cook. You want to cook them until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. You can check this using a meat thermometer.
How to ensure a crispy crust?
- Spray the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray before you bake them.
- Flipping the chicken over halfway through the cooking time will help it to stay crispy all around.
- You can also cook the chicken on a wire rack on top of the baking sheet so you don’t need to flip it while cooking.
- Make sure to bake them until they are nice and golden. Let them rest for a few minutes before you cut them. They ger even crispier are they cool.
There are so many things that go well with the chicken cutlet recipe. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Salad – Kale Salad, Couscous Salad, Chopped Italian Salad, Chopped Kale Salad.
- Side dishes – Roasted Potatoes and Carrots, Butternut Squash, Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts
- Potatoes – Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- BBQ Chicken Breast
- Healthy Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Did you try this baked chicken cutlets recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Low Calorie
These crispy baked chicken cutlets are packed with incredible flavor and they have the most amazingly delicious, golden crust that is so good! Make them in under 30 minutes for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love!
- 2 (5-6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk – you can use non-dairy
- 1 cup breadcrumbs – you can use gluten free
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken – slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise so it yields two equal pieces from each chicken breast. Use a sharp kitchen knife to do this. Then place each piece of chicken in between some plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer, rolling pin, or even your hands to pound the chicken into 1/4 inch thick cutlets that are even all over in size.
- Mix up the coating – in a medium shallow dish, crack the eggs and whisk them with the milk and some salt and pepper. In a separate shallow dish mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken – dip each chicken cutlet into the egg then in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breading into the chicken as you coat it. Place the coated chicken onto the baking sheet in a single layer with none of them overlapping. Continue until you have coated all of the chicken. Spray each of the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray for extra crispiness.
- Cook – place the coated chicken into the preheated oven and bake it for 17-20 minutes, turning it over halfway through the baking time. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. You can check this using a meat thermometer.
- Serve – once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and leave it on the pan to cool for a few minutes before serving it.
- Use chicken breasts that are similar in size or you can buy chicken cutlets.
- For an extra crispy crust, spray the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray before you bake them.
- You can store these baked chicken cutlets after they have been cooked and cooled, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the oven on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for a few minutes until warmed through or in the air fryer at 350 degrees for a few minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked chicken cutlets, baked chicken cutlets recipe, breaded baked chicken cutlets
When do you use the olive oil
Hi Jerry, you can spray the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray right before you put them in the oven and when you flip them, for an extra crispy crust. Enjoy!
I’ve made this so many times since finding this from Google! So so good. I wouldn’t expect the chili powder but it really adds flavor. Thank you!
Thank you Carly! I am so happy you liked it!
Fantastic recipe for chicken cutlets!!! This will be one of our favorites!!!
Thank you, Cathy! I am so happy you liked it.