Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets that have an amazing golden, crispy crust and a crazy juicy center. This healthier fried chicken recipe is totally gluten free and can be made in under 30 minutes with no frying in oil.
We love any chicken recipe in our house, especially a crispy breaded chicken like these oven baked chicken cutlets. My husband loved this recipe and has actually requested it a few times since I made it. It is obvious why since it is so perfectly crispy on the outside with an amazing juicy center.
This chicken recipe is also easy to make and is a healthier “fried chicken” that requires no deep frying in oil. Trust me! It is so delicious and people actually have told me they cannot believe that it is not fried!
Why you will love this recipe
- Quick and easy
- Gluten Free
- Requires only a few simple ingredients
- Crispy chicken with much less oil than fried chicken
- Perfect for meal prepping
- Stores and reheats great!
Oven baked chicken cutlets ingredients
- Chicken breast – I used 5-6 ounce chicken breasts
- Gluten Free Breadcrumbs – I used store-bought that you can find at most grocery stores
- Shredded parmesan cheese – This is optional. You can also sub Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Eggs – these act as a binder to help the breading stick to the chicken
- Milk – you can use non-dairy, plain milk
- Seasoning – I used Chili Powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and Pepper but you can use any blend you like on chicken.
How to make baked chicken cutlets
Step Two – Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise so it yields two even pieces from each chicken breast. Place each chicken cutlet between some plastic wrap and pound it out thin to 1/4 inch thickness. You can use a meat tenderiser if you have one or a rolling pin like I used. Continue until you have pounded out all of the chicken into cutlets.
Step Three – In a medium size shallow dish, crack the eggs, add the milk and some salt and pepper and whisk well to combine. In a separate shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, seasoning and salt and pepper.
Step Four – dip each chicken cutlet into the egg then the breading, pressing the breadcrumb mixture into the chicken on both sides. Then place the coated chicken on the lined baking sheet. Continue with the remaining chicken cutlets.
Step Five – Bake the chicken at 400 degrees f for 17-20 minutes until golden and cooked through. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when it is done.
- Try to use chicken breasts that are similar in size and cut them in even size pieces so everything cooks evenly.
- Season the eggs and breadcrumb mixture well with salt and pepper so all of the layers of the chicken have lots of flavor.
- You can use pre seasoned breadcrumbs that you can find at most grocery stores. If you use seasoned breadcrumbs then you do not need to add the seasoning blend.
- For even more flavor, you can marinate the chicken before you coat it and bake it. To do this, pound it out into cutlets, then place it into a bowl with your favorite chicken marinade and marinate it for 30 minutes or even overnight. Then follow the rest of the recipe.
How to store this crispy chicken?
Once you have cooked the chicken cutlets, let them cool completely then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to reheat?
These baked chicken cutlets will reheat best in the oven. Place them onto a lined baking sheet and reheat them at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. This will ensure they are still crispy and delicious but will not dry out.
How to pound out chicken breast into cutlets?
First, you need to slice each chicken breast in half, lengthwise. You can do this using a sharp kitchen knife and slicing the chicken breast in half by starting at the largest end and slicing all the way through.
Then place each chicken cutlets between some plastic wrap or parchment paper and use a meat mallet/tenderiser or rolling pin to pound the chicken cutlet until it reaches about 1/4 inch in thickness.
How long to bake chicken cutlets?
I baked these breaded chicken cutlets for 16-17 minutes are 400 degrees and turned them over halfway through the cooking time. They were perfectly cooked through with a wonderful crispy outer layer and juicy center. If you are using larger, thicker chicken cutlets then it will take a bit longer for them to cook. You want to cook them until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. You can check this using a meat thermometer.
How to ensure a crispy crust?
Flipping the chicken over halfway through the cooking time will help it to stay crispy all around. You can also cook the chicken on a wire rack on top of the baking sheet so you don’t need to flip it while cooking.
There are so many things that go well with chicken. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Salad – Kale Salad, Couscous Salad, Chopped Italian Salad, Chopped Kale Salad.
- Side dishes – Roasted Potatoes and Carrots, Butternut Squash, Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts
- Potatoes – Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes,
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Healthy Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print