Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets that have an amazing golden, crispy crust and a crazy juicy center. This healthier fried chicken recipe can be made in under 30 minutes for an easy chicken dinner the whole family will love!
These crispy baked chicken cutlets are juicy on the inside, with a seasoned coating that adds great flavor and creates a scrumptious golden brown crust.
This chicken recipe is easy to make and is a healthier “fried chicken” that requires no deep frying in oil. Trust me! It is so incredibly delicious that most people actually have told me they cannot believe it is not fried!
What’s better than crispy breaded chicken that is loaded with flavor and goes with pretty much anything? Plus these crispy chicken cutlets store and reheat great too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN CUTLETS
- Easy chicken recipe – get perfectly crispy, juicy chicken in only a few quick steps for a perfect weeknight dinner.
- Not a lot of ingredients – Requires only a few simple ingredients.
- Delicious recipe – crispy chicken with much less oil than fried chicken but still all of the flavor!
- Versatile – easily made gluten-free.
- Great meal prep recipe – stores and reheats are great!
- Healthy – this recipe is a much healthier alternative to the fried chicken cutlets you would get at most Italian restaurants.
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken breast – I used 5-6 ounce whole chicken breasts that were boneless and skinless that I sliced and pounded into chicken cutlets. You could also use thin-sliced chicken breasts that you can buy at most grocery stores.
- Breadcrumbs – You can use any breadcrumbs you like, regular or panko breadcrumbs, or even gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Grated parmesan cheese – This is optional but adds an amazing layer of salty, crunchy flavor to the chicken. You can also sub with Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Eggs – these act as a binder to help the breading stick to the chicken. You will need 2 large eggs.
- Milk – you can use non-dairy or plain milk. Make sure it is unsweetened.
- Seasoning – I used chili powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper but you can use any blend you like on the chicken.
*Check out the recipe card located at the bottom of this post for the full recipe ingredients, instructions, and nutritional information.
How to make oven-baked chicken cutlets
- Prepare the chicken: slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise using a sharp knife so it yields two even pieces from each chicken breast. Place each chicken cutlet between a large sheet of plastic wrap and pound it out thin to ¼ inch thickness yielding 4 thin chicken cutlets. The best way to do this is to use a meat tenderizer If you have one, or a rolling pin like I used.
- Mix up the coating: in a medium size shallow bowl, crack the eggs, add the milk and some salt, and black pepper, and whisk well to combine. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, seasoning, and salt and, pepper.
- Coat the chicken cutlets: Dip each of the chicken breast cutlets into the egg then the breading, pressing the breadcrumb mixture into each piece of chicken on both sides. Then place the coated chicken on the rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cook: bake the breaded chicken cutlets at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes until golden and cooked through. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when it is done. Per the recipe card below.
- Serve: Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board then serve it hot with your favorite sides.
Recipe Tips For Making this Chicken Cutlets Recipe
- Use evenly sized chicken breasts so they cook at the same time.
- Season the egg and breadcrumb mixture with salt and pepper. Pre-seasoned breadcrumbs can be used instead of a seasoning blend.
- Marinate the chicken before coating it for extra flavor.
- To make the chicken super crispy, spray it with olive oil spray before baking.
How do you store crispy baked chicken?
Once you have cooked the chicken cutlets, let them cool completely then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How do I reheat breaded chicken?
These baked chicken cutlets will reheat best in the oven. Place them onto a lined baking sheet and reheat them at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. This will ensure they are still crispy and delicious but will not dry out.
How to pound out chicken breast into cutlets?
First, slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Then, place each cutlet between a large sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper and pound to ¼ inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
How long does it take to bake chicken cutlets?
Bake breaded chicken cutlets at 400 degrees for 16-17 minutes, flipping halfway through. Larger, thicker cutlets may take longer to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Check with a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
How to ensure a crispy crust?
- Spray the chicken cutlets with olive oil spray before you bake them.
- Flipping the chicken over halfway through the cooking time will help it to stay crispy all around.
- You can also cook the chicken on a wire rack on top of the baking sheet so you don’t need to flip it while cooking.
- Make sure to bake them until they are nice and golden. Let them rest for a few minutes before you cut them. They get even crispier are they cool.
There are so many things that go well with the chicken cutlet recipe. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Salad – Kale Salad, Couscous Salad, Chopped Italian Salad, Chopped Kale Salad.
- Side dishes – Roasted Potatoes and Carrots, Butternut Squash, Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts
- Potatoes – Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- BBQ Chicken Breast
- Healthy Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Did you try this baked chicken cutlets recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print