Zucchini patties are a crispy, light snack or side dish you can make in minutes that everyone will LOVE! Made with Zucchini, sweet potato and almond flour and air fried until crispy and delicious. Gluten free, low carb and Vegetarian.
These Zucchini Patties are packed with crazy good flavor and they get super crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. This zucchini recipe is gluten free and low carb but still so good!
My family is obsessed with these air fryer zucchini fries, so I knew I had to come up with another recipe to use up all of our zucchini and these air fryer zucchini patties are the real deal. Nobody will ever notice that they are not fried in oil.
Ingredients in homemade zucchini patties
- Zucchini – you will need about 2 cup shredded zucchini
- Sweet Potato – about 1 cup shredded
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Almond flour – you could also use all purpose gluten free flour or regular flour.
- Garlic powder + Italian seasoning
- Baking powder – I used gluten free
How To Make Zucchini Patties
- Prepare the zucchini – you will need to shred the zucchini using a box grater or you can chop it into chunks and pulse it a few times in a food processor. You then want to place the shredded zucchini into a strainer over a bowl and add the salt. Let it sit for a few minutes. This will remove the excess water from the zucchini. Then place it into a clean towel and ring out the rest of the moisture from the zucchini.
- Make the mixture and form the zucchini patties – Add the shredded zucchini, shredded sweet potato, egg, almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic, baking powder and olive oil to a medium bowl and mix it all together. Then use a 1/3 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop to portion out the mixture into about 5 even size patties.
- Cook the patties – preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the patties into the basket in an even layer. Make sure not to over crowd the basket. I was able to fit 4 at a time in my air fryer. Spray the patties with olive oil spray and cook them at 380 degrees F for 10-11 minutes.
- Serve – Once the zucchini patties are done cooking, remove them from the air fryer and serve hot topped with plain Greek yogurt and dill or chives.
- To make this recipe vegan, you can use flax egg in place of the egg in this recipe. Use vegan parmesan cheese in place of the cheese.
- You can use red or white potato in place of the sweet potato.
- If you don’t have enough zucchini then shredded yellow squash will also work.
- Add in some corn for even more flavor. You can add about 1/4 cup to the mixture before you form and cook the zucchini patties.
- To keep this recipe nut free, you can use gluten free all purpose flour or regular all purpose flour in place of the almond flour.
Ways to serve air-fried zucchini patties
Here are a few ways to serve these zucchini fritters.
- As an appetizer or snack with hummus or tzatziki sauce.
- Deviled eggs would go great with these zucchini patties as a light healthy meal.
- Pair them with these amazing bbq crockpot meatballs.
- Enjoy them as a side dish with chicken sausage and veggies.
- Shred the zucchini and sweet potato well without any large chunks or the mixture will be tough to form.
- Make sure to squeeze all of the excess water out of the zucchini. If the mixture is still too wet then add more flour about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spray the zucchini patties with olive oil spray before cooking so they get super crispy.
To bake these zucchini cakes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the patties and place them in an even layer about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Spray the patties with olive oil spray and bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Note: they may take longer to cook since oven times and temps may vary.
Use an ice cream scoop (1/3 cup size) or 1/3 cup measuring cup to portion the mixture out. Then place each portion between your hands and form them into round patties that are about a 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches wide each. I found this to be the perfect size.
These are best if eaten right away. I do not recommend freezing them since they will get mushy and lose some of their flavor.
Once you have cooked them, let them cool then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can reheat them right in the air fryer at 330 degrees F for 1-2 minutes.
More zucchini recipes to try!
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- Gluten Free Zucchini Banana Bread
- Healthy Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Incredible Air Fryer Zucchini
- Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
Did you make this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how it turned out! You can also pin it for later and follow Pinch Me Good on Pinterest for all of my latest and greatest recipes!Print