These simple Green Chicken Enchiladas are a quick and easy healthy dinner that is full of flavor. They are made with only 5 ingredients and you can make them in 30 minutes or make it ahead. Gluten free and kid-friendly!
These Mexican-inspired Green Chicken Enchiladas are definitely a family-favourite. Plus they are super easy to make and only require 5 ingredients. Yippee!
Full disclosure, this healthy enchiladas recipe requires a little less cheese and no sour cream but TRUST ME it is still loaded with flavour and ooey gooey goodness.
My husband ate so much of this and when I made it again days later, he still ate more, it is just that delicious. I love that you can make it ahead and bake it off when you are ready to serve it. See make ahead tips below.
You can also get the kids involved with the assembly, which is so fun!
What you need to make green chicken enchiladas
How to make Healthy Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Soften the tortillas by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and warming them up in the microwave for about 60 seconds. This will keep them from breaking apart when you fill and roll them.
- Mix the shredded chicken with 1/3 cup of the cheese and 3 tablespoons of salsa verde. This will be your filling.
- Assemble the enchiladas by spreading 1/4 cup of the green enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce into a shallow dish and dip each tortilla all the way in the enchilada sauce. Then fill the tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese filling and roll it up tightly. Place the enchilada seam-side down in the pan on top of the sauce and continue until you have used all of the filling. This recipe makes 10-12 chicken enchiladas.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde over the enchiladas and evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese over everything. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, until the cheese is nice and melted and the edges of the enchiladas are golden brown.
- Top these green chicken enchiladas with fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Can you use flour tortillas?
Yes you can use corn or flour tortillas in this green chicken enchiladas recipe. If you do decide to use flour tortillas, they will hold more filling than the corn tortillas, so you will likely only need to make 10 enchiladas.
Also, you do not need to warm the flour tortillas before rolling them since they are more pliable then corn tortillas.
Can you make this enchilada recipe ahead of time?
You can make this green chicken enchiladas recipe the day before and bake it off when you are ready to serve it. To make it ahead, I recommend skipping the part where you dip the tortillas in the enchilada sauce since they will get soggy. Instead, warm and fill the tortillas (still pour the 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan), place the filled enchiladas in the pan in an even layer and cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
When you are ready to bake it, pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas and then top with the salsa verde and cheese. Bake as directed in the recipe and enjoy!
Storing and Reheating enchiladas
You can store these chicken enchiladas in the refrigerator for up to 3 days after you have cooked them and let them cool completely. Easily reheat portions in the microwave or let the entire dish come to room temperature then place it into the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the enchiladas are fully warmed through.
What to serve with cheesy chicken enchiladas
Here are a few other healthy side dishes you can serve with this recipe that would really pair well with it.
- Enjoy it with a Lime Grapefruit Margarita Mocktail, that even the kids will love!
- Serve it with some delicious Mango Salsa.
- Pair it with a bowl of Low-Carb Turkey Chili, yum!
More healthy dinner ideas
- Sausage and apple stuffed butternut squash
- 20 Minute Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Sheet Pan Salmon with Green Beans and Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl with Black Beans
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print