Chicken Pesto Pizza is the best way to use up that leftover chicken and pesto for a fun and healthy weeknight meal. The crispy, gluten free chickpea flour crust is the perfect base for this incredibly delicious pizza.
You are going to love this healthy pizza recipe
Pizza is a staple in our house and we always have a pizza night or two every week. That means that sometimes the plain old tomato sauce and cheese pizza (which we love) can sometimes get a little boring. Enter in this incredible Chicken Pesto Pizza that is loaded with flavor and made with a healthier chickpea flour crust that is out of this world.
The best part about this healthy pizza recipe is that you can make it all in one pan in less than 30 minutes with leftover boneless chicken and pesto, which I always seem to have lingering in my refrigerator.
Why you will just love this recipe
- It is the BEST gluten free pizza recipe EVER!
- Made with a healthier chickpea flour pizza crust
- Luscious bright pesto and juicy chicken make crazy good toppings on this pizza
- You can make it in under 30 minutes in one pan (a cast iron pan)
- Packed with nutrition like protein, vitamins and iron.
My kids also love this pizza, especially since pesto is literally the only green food I can get them to eat. I will take it!
Is chickpea flour good for you?
Why yes it is! Chickpea flour is loaded with plant-based protein, fiber, iron, Vitamin B-6 and calcium. It is also lower in carbs than traditional white flours and is a much healthier alternative to whole wheat flour. Plus it is gluten free and get’s super crispy and delicious when baked in a cast iron pan in the oven, like in this recipe.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make chicken pesto pizza
- Prep the batter. Add the chickpea flour ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour in the water, while whisking to form a slightly thin batter. Let the batter sit on the counter to thicken while you preheat the oven.
- Prep the pan and oven. Place a cast iron pan (I used a 9-inch pan) into the oven on the middle rack and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook the chickpea flour crust. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and brush the bottom and sides of the pan with olive oil. Add the rest of the olive oil to the batter and stir. Pour the batter evenly into the hot pan and place it back into the oven to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Top the pizza. Remove the pizza crust from the oven and carefully spread the pesto in an even layer all over the crust then add the sliced chicken, sliced onion and slices of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning for even more flavor.
- Finish baking and serve. Place the pizza back into the hot oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges of the pizza are nice and golden brown and the cheese is nice and melty. Remove the pizza from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board or parchment paper lined plate. Slice and serve immediately.
Get the full list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
This chicken pesto pizza is so amazingly light and crispy and the toppings really take it to another level of WOW! Every time I make this pizza recipe I am always amazed at the punch of flavor and crispiness of the chickpea flour crust. It is pretty epic!
Storing and reheating tips
You can easily store this pizza by letting it cool completely then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Easily reheat it in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes.
Chicken Pesto Pizza Serving suggestions
There are so many things you can serve with this pizza. Here are some of my favorites.
- Serve it with a hearty, fresh salad like this Italian chopped Salad or this Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- Pair it with some healthy veggie fries like these Air Fryer Carrots Fries, Baked Eggplant Fries or these Crispy Zucchini Fries.
- Enjoy it with some yummy, crispy veggies like this Crispy Oven Roasted Broccoli, Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings or these insane Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots.
- It would also be delicious paired with the Lime Grapefruit Margarita for a fun Friday night pizza night!
More Recipe Tips and Variations
- Make sure to let the batter rest after you mix it to allow it to thicken up.
- Place the pan into the oven while it preheats to get it nice and hot. This is the secret to the crazy crispy crust.
- Use olive oil. Adding the olive oil to the pan as well as the batter also helps make this crust super crispy and light. Not to mention packed with so much flavor.
- You can use any kind of pesto for this recipe.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, swap the sliced chicken with Crispy Oven Roasted chickpeas.
More Pizza inspired recipes to try
- Easy Veggie Chicken Pizza Bake
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza from Feel Good Foodie
- Simple Roasted Beet Pesto
- Homemade San Marzano Tomato Sauce
- Easy Homemade Romesco Sauce
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print