These Air Fryer Crispy Smashed Potatoes are so good and super easy to make in only a few simple steps. They make the perfect side dish to any meal or even a quick and healthy appetizer or snack. Vegan, Gluten Free and so insanely delicious.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes are super popular right now but I find the classic oven roasted version to simply just take too long and I am not a very patient person, haha. So I decided to try to make them in the air fryer and oh my goodness did they come out incredible.
I mean you have to try this healthy air fryer version for yourself and let me know what you think but I am totally obsessed. It is just another amazing air fryer potato recipe to love like these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges and these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips.
I am beginning to think that cooking potatoes in the air fryer is just the best way to go! Plus, oil is optional in this recipe but it really does bring them to a whole new level of crispiness and dare I say, make them even tastier than potato chips.
Why you will just love this recipe
- Quick and easy air fryer recipe
- The most amazing crispy potatoes!
- Perfect side dish, appetizer or healthy snack
- Kid-friendly, my kids devoured them!
- Vegan, gluten free and dairy-free
- Great for meal prep!
Ingredients needed to make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
*See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for a full list of ingredients and recipe instructions.
How to make crispy smashed potatoes in the air fryer
- Prep the potatoes. You will need to pre-boil the potatoes first so they are nice and soft so you can easily smash them. To do this, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add some salt for flavour and then add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Then drain them from the water.
- Smash the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a lined baking sheet and use a round glass or mason jar to gently smash each potato to about 1/2 an inch in thickness.
- Season. In a small bowl combine the avocado oil with the garlic powder, salt and pepper and then brush the mixture all over the tops and edges of each of the potatoes.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Working in batches place the potatoes into the bottom of the air fryer basket, carefully so they don’t break apart. Close the air fryer basket and cook the potatoes for 11-13 minutes. You can flip them halfway but I found it to cause some of them to break and they still get super crispy without flipping them.
- Serve. Once the potatoes are done cooking, place them onto a tray or plate and sprinkle them with more salt and pepper. These are best if eaten right away with a dipping sauce like some Homemade Pesto or Green Goddess Dressing.
These are next level potatoes that have all of these amazing nooks and crannies with this incredible crispy exterior that is so insanely good.
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner
Crispy smashed potatoes would make a perfect side dish for lunch or dinner or even a wonderful addition to any breakfast. Try them paired with these Sausage and Pepper Egg Muffins or this Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche.
They are also great all on their own as a quick and healthy snack or appetizer.
An easy potato recipe that is kind of like a mix between a potato chip and mashed potatoes. Really a mash-up of two great ways to enjoy this amazing vegetable. It really does’t get any better than this crazy good air fryer recipe.
As I mentioned, these crispy smashed potatoes go great with so many other recipes. Here are a few of my favorite recipes to pair these potatoes with.
- Enjoy them alongside this Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Breast , Air Fryer Whole Chicken OR this super delicious Healthy Turkey Burger.
- These potatoes would also go great with a Healthy Turkey Meatloaf paired with some Sautéed Spinach with Garlic as another side dish.
- Pair them with these Cheesy Egg White Muffins or this Crustless Ham and Broccoli Quiche for a fun and delicious breakfast or brunch.
- Use small-medium size baby potatoes. You can use Yukon Gold, red potatoes, purple potatoes or a medley.
- Boil the potatoes before smashing them. This may seem obvious but it is important to note this step or it will be almost impossible to smash them before cooking them.
- Don’t smash them too much. You really want to lightly press the glass or mason jar down on top of each potato so they are still about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook the potatoes in batches so you can place them in the air fryer in a single layer. This will ensure they all get nice and crispy on all sides.
- You can store these potatoes once they have fully cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat them in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes.
More Healthy Air Fryer Recipes To Try!
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Crispy Air Fryer Falafel
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. would love to hear how yours turned out!Print