Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
Roasted Potatoes and Carrots are seasoned in a delicious herb butter and then oven roasted until tender and golden. They make a wonderfully healthy, filling side dish that goes great with chicken, fish, or pork. Gluten-free, paleo, and easily made vegan.
Roasted potatoes and carrots are packed with flavor and are so filling and satisfying. Whenever I make this recipe, my family devours the entire pan! It pairs well with chicken, pork, or seafood and the potatoes and carrots get perfectly golden every time!
Plus, everyone I know is always looking for a quick and easy side dish to make and serve with their meals. Some of my favorites are broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and these flavorful roasted potatoes and carrots.
The herb butter sauce really takes this dish to a whole new level of deliciousness!
For a lower carb version of this recipe try these Air Fryer Carrots that are equally as easy and flavorful.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy – ready in under 30 minutes!
- Healthy and filling – loaded with fiber and nutrition.
- Perfect side dish – roasted potatoes and carrots pairs great with almost anything.
- Great for meal prep – make it ahead and reheat it when you are ready to enjoy it!
Out of carrots? Try these roasted potatoes and green beans or roasted potatoes and asparagus.
Ingredients needed for roasted potatoes and carrots
- Baby potatoes – about 1 pound of baby Yukon gold or red potatoes.
- Carrots – about 1 pound of fresh, whole-bagged carrots.
- Butter – unsalted butter.
- Herbs – fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Garlic – fresh cloves of garlic.
- Salt and pepper – used to season and add even more flavor.
How to make oven-roasted potatoes and carrots
You can make these oven-roasted potatoes and carrots in only a few simple steps in under 30 minutes.
- Make the herb butter.
- Cut and season the potatoes and carrots.
- Roast the potatoes and carrots until tender and golden. Per the recipe card below.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Get the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card located at the bottom of this post.
Tips for Success
Here are some key tips for making perfectly roasted potatoes and carrots every time!
- Whole carrots work best – baby carrots will work in this recipe but will cook faster than potatoes. I find that using whole carrots is best since you can use larger ones and cut them into bigger pieces so they cook at the same time as the potatoes. They also have much more flavor than baby carrots.
- Baby Yukon gold potatoes are best – they just cook faster. You could also use baby red potatoes.
- Rainbow carrots work great too but may be harder to find.
- Cut the potatoes smaller so they cook at the same time as the carrots.
Storing and reheating suggestions
These roasted potatoes and carrots can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Easily reheat portions in the microwave until warmed through.
Do carrots and potatoes cook at the same time?
Typically potatoes will take longer to cook than carrots. To make sure they cook at the same time, cut the potatoes smaller and cut the carrots a little thicker than you normally would.
What potatoes are best for roasting?
Yukon gold potatoes are best since they have a thinner skin and cook fairly quickly. Red potatoes also work great!
Flavor variations for roasted potatoes and carrots
You will love this recipe as is but here are a few ways to change it up!
- Veggies – add some broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts for more color and even more nutrition.
- Herbs – I used rosemary and thyme but you could also use some sage in the butter sauce. Parsley would be great to top the potatoes and carrots after they cook.
- Cheese – add some grated parmesan cheese for a nice cheesy flavor addition to this dish.
- Add a delicious sauce for topping the veggies. Having a sauce on the side to drizzle over the potatoes and carrots just makes them a little bit more fancy and fun to eat. My favorite sauces for topping veggies like these 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing, Romesco Sauce, or this Easy Homemade Lemon Basil Pesto.
How to serve roast potatoes and carrots
Roasted potatoes and carrots make a great side dish that you can pair with so many things to round out your meals. Here are a few suggestions for what to pair it with.
- 15 Minutes Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast
- 10 Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- The Best Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
- Healthy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
Other Healthy Side Dishes
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Carrots Fries
- Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Lemon and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Maple Glazed Butternut Squash
- Amazing Carrot Raisin Salad
I hope you try this roasted potatoes and carrots recipe. If you do, then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
These oven-roasted potatoes and carrots are seasoned in a delicious herb butter and then roasted until tender and golden. They make a wonderfully filling side dish that goes great with chicken, pork, or fish.
- 1 pound baby potatoes – cut into 1-inch pieces (leave whole for smaller potatoes)
- 1 pound whole carrots – peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic – sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prep the carrots and potatoes. Start by peeling the carrots and slicing them into 1-inch thick pieces. I cut them on a slight angle for presentation. Then cut the baby potatoes in half. No need to cut the smaller potatoes. You really want everything to be even in size. Add the prepped veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- Make the herb and garlic butter. Heat a pan with the butter on the stove to medium-low heat. Once most of the butter is melted, add in the garlic rosemary, and thyme along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Let the butter melt and slightly bubble as the garlic and herbs infuse it with their incredible flavors. Remove the whole herbs and garlic cloves from the pot.
- Season the potatoes and carrots and roast. Pour the herb butter over the carrots and potatoes and toss to coat everything in the butter sauce. Pour the veggies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, until the veggies are nice and golden brown. For even more flavor, you can add a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme to the veggies as they roast.
- Serve. Remove, let cool, and serve.
- I like to use baby potatoes for this recipe since they are easier to work with. are smaller in size, require no peeling and you really only need to cut them once or not at all for smaller potatoes. Plus I feel like they just have more flavor than larger potatoes do.
- Use large carrots and peel and cut them rather than using baby carrots. Larger carrots just have more of a sweeter flavor when roasted and are so bright in color. If you want to take a shortcut in this recipe then by all means use bagged baby carrots but you will lose a little bit of flavor since they contain more water.
- Fresh herbs are pretty essential when making this side dish since they are packed with flavor and really make the butter sauce shine in this recipe. I used fresh rosemary and thyme since I had some in my garden but you can also use basil and oregano.
- These oven-roasted potatoes and carrots store great and are perfect for meal prepping. To store this recipe, let them cool completely then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Healthy Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted potatoes and carrots, potatoes and carrots, roast potatoes and carrots, carrots, potatoes
Leave a Reply