These incredibly tasty oven roasted potatoes and carrots are covered in an amazing butter sauce infused with fresh garlic and herbs then roasted until golden and delicious. The perfect side dish to any meal and less than 30 minutes to make it! This is a simple and healthy way to get your family excited about eating their veggies.
I am constantly trying to think of healthy side dishes to add to my meals that my kids will actually get excited about eating. Some of my absolute favourite side dishes right now are these Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts, this Simple Sautéed Spinach with Garlic and my new favorite, these Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots.
My kids ate half the pan and I was overjoyed! Now they ask for them on a regular basis, which is okay with me since this recipe is so fun to make and takes less than 30 minutes.
Carrots and potatoes are ingredients that I always have. I guess because I use them in so many other dishes, plus they are inexpensive, packed with nutrition and tend to last longer than other produce does.
Why you will love this amazing recipe
- Quick and easy sides dish
- Ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Requires only a few simple ingredients
- It stores great and is a wonderful meal prep recipe
- Packed with flavour and nutrition
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How do you make oven roasted potatoes and carrots?
- Prep the carrots and potatoes. Start by peeling the carrots and slicing them into 1-inch thick pieces. I cut them on a slight angle for presentation. Then cut the baby potatoes in half. No need to cut the smaller potatoes. You really want everything to be even in size. Add the prepped veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- Make the herb and garlic butter. Heat a pan with the butter on the stove to medium-low heat. Once most of the butter is melted, add in the garlic rosemary and thyme along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Let the butter continue to melt and slightly bubble as the garlic and herbs infuse it with their incredible flavours. Remove the whole herbs and garlic cloves from the pot.
- Season the potatoes and carrots and roast. Pour the herb butter over the carrots and potatoes and toss to coat everything in the butter sauce. Pour the veggies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, until the veggies are nice and golden brown. For even more flavor, you can add a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme to the veggies as they roast.
- Serve. Remove, let cool and serve.
Tip for making this healthy side dish
- I like to use baby potatoes for this recipe since they are easier to work with, are smaller in size, require no peeling and you really only need to cut them once or not at all for smaller potatoes. Plus I feel like they just have more flavor than larger potatoes do.
- Use large carrots and peel and cut them rather than using baby carrots. Larger carrots just have more of a sweeter flavor when roasted and are so bright in color. If you want to take a shortcut in this recipe then by all means use bagged baby carrots but you will lose a little bit of flavor since they contain more water.
- Fresh herbs are pretty essential when making this side dish since they are packed with flavor and really make the butter sauce shine in this recipe. I used fresh rosemary and thyme since I had some in my garden but you can also use basil and oregano.
- These oven roasted potatoes and carrots store great and are perfect for meal prepping. To store this recipe, let them cool completely then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make sure to cut the veggies so they are similar in size. I cut the carrots about 1-inch thick and cut them on a bias or angle so they mirror the size of the potatoes so everything cooks evenly together.
What potatoes are the best for roasting?
The best potatoes for roasting are really any kind of baby potatoes. I like Yukon gold baby potatoes but you could also use red potatoes, purple potatoes or those multi coloured potatoes you can buy at most grocery stores this time of year.
Smaller potatoes work better for roasting since they just have more flavor, do not need much advance prep and are JUST SO CUTE! They also get super crispy in the oven, which makes them perfect in this recipe.
Flavor variations for oven roasted potatoes and carrots
- Switch up the vegetables. You can use Asparagus, broccoli, bell peppers, parsnips or even zucchini in this recipe. I like to add them in along with the potatoes and carrots to add variety and color.
- Add more flavor with some lemon and cheese. A squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese bring these potatoes and carrots to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- Include some protein to make this a complete meal. In the same pan or on a separate pan, add some chicken thighs or even sliced chicken sausage and cook it along with the veggies. You may need to cook the chicken slightly longer than the veggies so make sure to push the veggies to the side if you are adding it to the same pan.
- Add a delicious sauce for topping the veggies. Having a sauce on the side to drizzle over the potatoes and carrots just makes them a little bit more fancy and fun to eat. My favorite saucees for topping veggies like these are this amazing 5 Minute Green Goddess Dressing, Romesco Sauce or this Easy Homemade Lemon Basil Pesto.
What to serve with this recipe
- 15 Minutes Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast
- 10 Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- The Best Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
- Healthy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
Other Healthy Side Dishes to try
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Carrots Fries
- Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Lemon and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Easy Maple Glazed Butternut Squash
- Amazing Carrot Raisin Salad
I hope you try this recipe. If you do, then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out!Print