These amazing air fryer sweet potatoes are the perfect healthy side dish! They only require 3 ingredients and they are so easy to make right in the air fryer. With this recipe you will get perfectly fluffy and flavorful baked sweet potatoes every, single time!
If you have never made sweet potatoes in the air fryer then you are in for a nice surprise! This recipe is so easy to make and it results in the most fluffy, perfectly cooked sweet potatoes EVER!
Why you will just love this recipe!
- It only requires 3 simple ingredients
- There is no need to turn on the oven thanks to the air fryer
- You will get perfectly cooked sweet potatoes every time
- The BEST fluffy and flavorful potatoes EVER!
- It makes an amazing healthy side dish!
Ingredients you will need
How to make air fryer sweet potatoes
- Scrub the potatoes then poke them all over with a fork for venting.
- Rub each potato with olive oil and season each with some salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, if necessary. Place the sweet potatoes into the air fryer and cook them for 20-25 minutes. After 25 minutes, flip them over and cook them for 20-25 more minutes until a fork can easily pierce them and they are nice and soft.
- Remove, slice open and top with butter and salt. See more topping suggestions below.
How long to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer
This really depends on the size of the sweet potatoes you are using. I recommend using medium sweet potatoes that are similar in size for more even cooking. Larger sweet potatoes take longer and may dry out or cook unevenly in the air fryer.
I used medium size sweet potatoes in this recipe and they came out perfectly after about 45-50 minutes. You should also check the potatoes towards the end of the cooking time to ensure they do not over cook.
How to store baked sweet potatoes
After the potatoes are cooked, let them cool completely then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can easily reheat them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes or in the microwave.
Best toppings for baked sweet potatoes
- Butter, salt and pepper
- Cinnamon sugar
- Brown sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt
- Maple syrup with toasted pecans
- Almond butter or peanut butter
- Broccoli and shredded cheddar cheese
- Chili and melted cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and chives
- Mini marshmallows with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon
Are sweet potatoes healthier than white potatoes?
All potatoes are good for you but they do have different health benefits. White potatoes (russet, Yukon Gold) are high in potassium. Sweet potatoes contain more vitamins like vitamin A and have more fiber. Either way, potatoes are a healthy and delicious addition to your diet.
Do I need to poke holes in the sweet potatoes before cooking them?
Yes! Poking holes in the sweet potatoes helps allow the steam to vent when they cook. It only takes a minute to poke holes in them with a fork but it is so worth it since there is a possibility the potatoes could explode.
What are the best types of sweet potatoes to cook in the air fryer?
Traditional, medium size sweet potatoes work best. You really want to use potatoes that are longer rather than wider. Also select potatoes that are a similar size so they cook more evenly.
What is the best way to serve these sweet potatoes?
I like to serve them just as a side dish with chicken or meatloaf. You can also stuff them like we did in these sausage and pepper stuffed sweet potatoes or in these chili stuffed sweet potatoes and serve them as a main dish.
They also make a wonderful healthy snack topped with almond butter or cinnamon sugar.
Tips for making perfect air fryer baked sweet potatoes
- Purchase sweet potatoes that are similar in size and have a bright orange skin with little to no blemishes on them.
- Store your uncooked sweet potatoes in a cool, dry place until you are ready to cook them.
- Scrub the potatoes really well before cooking to remove any excess dirt from the skin.
- Poke holes all over each potato before cooking to allow the steam to vent.
- Season the outside of the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper for the best flavor!
More healthy Sweet potato recipes to try!
- The Best Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges – Air Fryer Recipe
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print