These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes make a perfect sweet and savory healthy side dish for dinner any day of the week! They are both vegan and gluten-free and require only a few ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
I don’t know about you all but I love potatoes of any kind, especially these Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes that are my new favorite. The creamy, sweet and savory flavors are perfectly combined into this incredible healthy side dish that would be perfect for dinner or even with an egg on top for breakfast.
My kids also love potatoes in any form and these were a hit but without the cinnamon for them. They are not keen on spices just yet but I think they will come around.
Why you will just love this recipe
- It is so easy, the Instant Pot does all of the work for you
- Sweet + savory flavors perfectly combined into creamy, soft mashed potato goodness
- This recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free so everyone can enjoy it!
- Very nutritious since sweet potatoes are packed with nutrition.
- Stores great and is even better the next day.
Are sweet potatoes good for you?
Yes they are! Sweet potatoes have more nutrition than almost any other vegetable. They are packed with good carbs, vitamin A, fiber, iron, and calcium to name a few. They are super versatile to cook with and can be roasted, stuffed, cooked in the instant pot, or even turned into this amazing spicy sweet potato soup.
To learn more about the benefits of eating sweet potatoes, click here.
How long do sweet potatoes last?
How long sweet potatoes last depends on how you store them and when you purchased them. Uncooked, unpeeled, whole sweet potatoes will last 2-5 months, depending on how you store them.
I like to store mine in the pantry where they last about 3-5 weeks. Yo can also keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Making mashed potatoes of any kind using an Instant Pot is very simple and easy to do. Especially these mashed sweet potatoes which take minutes to prepare and make with only a few simple ingredients.
- First, you will need to peel and cut the potatoes. Not really the most fun job but totally worth the effort. This took me all of 5 minutes to do and I let me 5-year old help weigh them while I handled the peeling and cutting. You will need about 2lbs of peeled sweet potatoes cut into about 1-inch pieces.
- Then just add the sweet potatoes to the bottom of your Instant Pot, pour in 1 cup of water and secure the lid.
- Set the Instant pot in Manual Mode to 10 minutes and let the magic happen. Make sure the pressure release valve is set to the “sealing” position before you start the cooking process. After 10 minutes, the Instant Pot will either naturally release the pressure or you can manually release it by carefully flipping the release valve to the “venting’ position. It will take 30-60 seconds for all of the steam to release.
- Then remove the lid and drain the potatoes.
- Return the potatoes back to the Instant pot and mash them up with a potato masher.
6. Add in the rest of the ingredients, butter, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt and mix it all together until nice and creamy and delicious.
So good, omg! I love, love, love these mashed sweet potatoes and will never cook them any other way. I used my leftovers as a topping on my Healthy Turkey Shepards Pie, coming soon.
How to store mashed sweet potatoes
These sweet potatoes can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and are great as a healthy side dish for dinner or even breakfast. Although you can freeze them, I don’t recommend it since they lose a lot of flavor and texture when frozen.
- Use good ripe sweet potatoes. Select potatoes that are bright orange in color, are firm to the touch, have little to no indentations or brown spots and are medium in size.
- You can keep this recipe vegan/dairy-free or use heavy cream in place of the almond milk. Make sure to use unsweetened plain almond milk. You can use coconut milk as well but I found that the almond milk works best.
- I used vegan butter in my version of the recipe but you could also use Kerrygold grass-fed butter if you do not need to keep this recipe dairy-free.
Want to try some more delicious sweet potato recipes?
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you.Print