These Healthy Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings are baked until crispy and tender, then tossed in a delicious lemon pepper sauce. You can cook them in the oven or the air fryer and they can be ready in under 30 minutes! They are baked and are not fried which makes them much healthier than traditional wings but still just as crispy and delicious!
Lemon pepper chicken wings have become a new favorite in our house. I have made these a few times already and my family went crazy for them. They are perfect for an easy weeknight meal or as a delicious game day appetizer.
I love that you can make them in under 30 minutes in the oven or the air fryer, which is great for us busy moms.
If you like crispy chicken recipes then you will also want to check out these Air Fryer Chicken Tenders that my family also loves any day of the week!
My favorite thing about these chicken wings is that you use way less oil by baking the wings in the oven rather then frying them, which makes them much healthier but still crazy delicious.
Ingredients you will need
Chicken wings: You can use the whole wing as I did in this recipe or split chicken wings. If you use smaller wings then check them while they cook because they will likely take less time.
Olive oil or avocado oil: Both of these oils will work great in this recipe and allow all of the wonderful seasoning to stick to the chicken wings.
Garlic powder, onion powder and dried parsley: These seasonings add a nice flavor to the chicken wings while they cook.
Lemon zest and juice: The combination of the lemon zest + juice gives the wings that amazing lemony flavor.
Lemon pepper seasoning: I used Penzeys Spices lemon pepper seasoning but any kind will work in this recipe. See below on how to make your own.
Coarse ground black pepper: The black pepper gives the wings that nice punch of flavor and is perfectly paired with the tartness of the lemon.
How to make baked lemon pepper chicken wings
- Prep the chicken. Dry the chicken wings well with a clean paper towel then drizzle them with a little olive oil (to help the seasoning stick to them better). Then sprinkle them with the garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper and toss to coat them all.
- Bake the chicken. Place the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer (not overlapping) onto a baking sheet topped with a baking rack. Cook the wings for 20-25 minutes until they are nice and crispy and cooked through. Expert tip: Flip the wings over halfway through the cooking time fro extra crispy chicken wings.
- Make the lemon pepper sauce. Combine the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon pepper seasoning, honey (optional for a hint of sweetness) and salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Mix the wings in the sauce. Once the wings are done cooking, immediately transfer them to a large mixing bowl and toss them in the lemon pepper sauce.
- Serve. Serve hot with a delicious dipping sauce like ranch or blue cheese and some fresh cut veggies like cucumber, carrots and celery.
Get full list of ingredients and recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
Can you make your own lemon pepper seasoning?
Yes, you can easily make your own lemon pepper seasoning but it takes a little bit of work. To make homemade lemon pepper seasoning you will need:
- 3-4 lemons
- 2-3 tablespoons course ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons Kosher salt
How to make lemon pepper seasoning
- Zest the lemons and spread the lemon zest onto a lined baking sheet. Place it into the oven and let it dehydrate at about 200 degrees F. This will take about 25-30 minutes. Then remove the lemon zest from the oven. Keep an eye on it so it does not burn and make sure to let it cool.
- Combine the dried lemon zest with back pepper and salt and you have made your own lemon pepper seasoning. You can use it right away or store it in an airtight container in your pantry or spice drawer for up to 4 months.
Storing and reheating tips
These chicken wings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator after being cooked for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze these chicken wings after you cook and cool them completely. To freeze: Wrap the wings tightly in plastic wrap and then in a layer of foil. Place them into a freezer-friendly bag or container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
There are a couple of ways you can reheat these lemon pepper chicken wings. Right out of the fridge, you can place them onto a baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 350 degrees F for 7-8 minutes. You can also place them into the air-fryer at 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes.
To reheat them from a frozen state, place the wings in the fridge overnight and then reheat them as instructed above.
How to make these lemon pepper chicken wings in the air fryer
Prep the chicken wings as instructed in the recipe. Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the seasoned chicken wings into the air fryer basket and cook them for 12 minutes. Flip them over then cook them for 12 more minutes until they are crispy and cooked through.
You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Once the wings are done cooking, immediately transfer them to a large bowl and toss them in the lemon pepper sauce.
Tips for making the best crispy baked chicken wings
- Dry the chicken wings really well before you season and bake them. This will ensure they get super crispy when they cook.
- Use a little bit of oil to coat the chicken before you add the seasoning so it sticks to the chicken better.
- Cook the chicken on a rack that is on a baking sheet to allow the wings to get nice and crispy all over. For even crispier chicken wings, you can turn the wings over halfway through the cooking time.
- Toss the baked chicken wings in the sauce immediately after they come out of the oven. The heat from the chicken will help the sauce really stick to the wings.
More healthy chicken recipes to try:
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Amazing Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Healthy Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- Easy One Pot Healthy Chicken Soup
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print