Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
This gluten-free parmesan chicken is golden and crispy and packed with so much flavor! It is an easy chicken parmesan recipe that takes 30 minutes to make and is a wonderful budget-friendly meal the whole family will love!
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan is a flavorful, crispy baked chicken recipe that uses only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have. You can make it in 20 minutes with little prep time and have it on the table for a delicious family meal that even the kids will enjoy!
It starts off with these oven-baked chicken cutlets that are a reader’s favorite. Then right at the end of the cooking time we add some zesty tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese and bake it until it is perfectly golden and melty. It’s so good!
If you are looking for a chicken parmesan recipe without breading then you will love this instant pot chicken parmesan that is also incredible and easy to make but lower in carbs!
Why you’ll love this chicken parmesan recipe
- Perfectly cooked, golden chicken breast cutlets topped with zesty tomato sauce and melty cheese.
- It is quick and easy and can be made in under 30 minutes.
- Totally gluten-free!
- It is a baked chicken parmesan that requires no frying in oil.
- A healthy Italian meal the whole family will love!
What is the best breading to use for gluten free chicken parmesan?
There are several different ingredients you can use to bread the chicken like gluten-free flour, breadcrumbs, crushed butter crackers, or even quinoa. I really think that a combination of gluten-free panko, grated parmesan cheese, and some herbs and spices really makes the most epic breading for the chicken in this recipe.
Almond flour in place of the panko is the next best option but the chicken will not get as crispy as it will with the use of the panko.
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken breast – boneless skinless chicken breast works best for this chicken parmesan. You can buy chicken cutlets already prepared or use chicken breast and pound them out into cutlets yourself as I did. See below for how I did it.
- Milk – regular or non-dairy milk will work. You just want to make sure it is unsweetened.
- Eggs – 2 large eggs
- Gluten-free Panko – I used Ian’s, which is one of my favorites but any brand will work.
- Grated parmesan cheese – make sure it is grated and not shredded parmesan cheese. Grated melts much better.
- Olive oil – this allows the chicken to get nice and golden and crispy.
- Herbs and spices – Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley.
- Salt & pepper – to help season everything well.
- Marinara – you can use store-bought or make your own.
- Mozzarella cheese – I used shredded but you can also use sliced.
How To Make Gluten-Free Chicken Parmesan
You can easily make this chicken parmesan recipe using only a few simple ingredients and steps in under 30 minutes. It makes a delicious Italian meal everyone can enjoy!
- Prepare the chicken breast – use a sharp kitchen knife to slice each piece of chicken breast in half, lengthwise. Then you will need to place each cut piece of chicken between some plastic wrap and pound it out using a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is even all around.
- Coat the chicken cutlets – dip each piece of chicken into the egg then into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breading into the chicken as you dredge it.
- Cook – Place the coated chicken cutlets onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 17-18 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking. Then top each piece of chicken with some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and return it to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve – serve hot with your favorite pasta or side dishes.
The chicken comes out perfectly golden, crispy and packed with amazing Italian flavors. You are going to LOVE IT!
- Use chicken breasts that are equal in size so they all cook at the same time.
- Don’t skip adding the oil to the breadcrumb mixture. This allows the chicken to get that nice golden, crispy crust that is so good!
- Use a good quality marinara sauce. I like to make my own but there are a lot of store-bought brands that are pretty good.
- Do not overcook the chicken. It is very easy to overcook chicken breast. You will want to check the chicken as you cook it. I suggest checking the temperature of the chicken at around 15 minutes, using a meat thermometer. You will know the chicken is done once the internal temperate reaches 165 degrees F.
What to serve with chicken parmesan
This chicken recipe is so amazing on its own with the golden, crusted chicken, zesty sauce, and melty cheese. Here are a few complimentary dishes that would be great paired with it.
No, you do not have to bread the chicken. If you choose to omit the breading then season the chicken on both sides with olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Place it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake it for 15-20 minutes until it reaches 165 degrees F. Then top it with sauce and cheese and bake it for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
A combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese tends to be the best for chicken parmesan. You could also use provolone in place of the mozzarella and pecorino romano cheese in place of the parmesan cheese if you prefer that.
Most grocery stores sell precut chicken cutlets or thinly sliced chicken breasts. If you can’t find it then you can buy whole, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and cut them in half lengthwise. Then pound each one out into an even size all around using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
Can you make this recipe in the air fryer?
Yes, you can! Use this recipe for air fryer chicken parmesan that has step-by-step instructions and photos. Just be sure to use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Storing and reheating tips
This gluten-free chicken parmesan can easily be stored and reheated. Making it great for meal prep.
To store: place the cooked chicken parmesan in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: the best way to reheat chicken parmesan is to place it onto a baking sheet and reheat it in the oven at around 350 degrees F until warmed through. You can also do this in the air fryer.
More Gluten-Free Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Epic BBQ Chicken Breast
- Juicy Boneless Chicken Breast
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Did you try this Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan Recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan – Crispy and Delicious
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 3–4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Gluten-free chicken parmesan that is golden, crispy, and loaded with delicious Italian flavors. You can make it with a few simple ingredients in 30 minutes. It is a wonderfully quick, healthy, and affordable meal the whole family will enjoy!
- 2–3 (5-6 ounces) boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3–4 chicken cutlets
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1.5 cups gluten-free panko or breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese + more for serving
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken – to cut the chicken breasts into cutlets, use a sharp kitchen knife to slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise to give you two even pieces of chicken. Then place each piece of chicken between some plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to pound each one out until it is even in thickness all around. Do the same with each piece of chicken. Then dry the chicken on both sides with a clean paper towel.
- Coat the chicken. Crack the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk them with the milk, salt, and pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the panko, parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and parsley. Then drizzle the olive oil over the breadcrumbs and use your hands to pinch and mix the oil into the breading mixture. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, then the breadcrumbs, pressing the breading into the chicken as you dredge it. Then place the coated chicken cutlets onto the baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake. Cook the chicken in the oven at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Then top each piece of chicken with some marinara sauce and shredded cheese. Return the chicken to the oven and bake it for a couple of more minutes just to melt the chees.
- Serve. Enjoy hot topped with more parmesan cheese and parsley or chopped basil.
- Use even size chicken breasts so they cook at the same time.
- Select a good quality marinara sauce or make your own.
- Cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. You can check this using a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of one of the pieces of chicken.
- You can store this cooked chicken parmesan in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat it in the oven on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F or in the microwave until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: gluten free chicken parmesan, chicken parmesan, chicken recipes, chicken
Leave a Reply