This incredible rich homemade San Marzano Tomato Sauce is my sisters famous family recipe that you will go crazy for. It ‘s simple to make and is simmered until it is layered with tons of deep, vibrant flavors like garlic, Italian spices and hearty tomato goodness. It is an easy recipe that anyone can make and it is literally the best tomato sauce ever!
This homemade San Marzano tomato sauce is the best recipe for sauce that you will ever make! Blended with zippy San Marzano tomatoes, onions, garlic, itialian spices and fresh basil, then simmered for a couple hours until it develops those rich, deep flavors we all want in a thick, dreamy tomato sauce like this.
My sister has been making this sauce for year’s and my whole family goes crazy for it every time she makes it. Why? Because it is so simple and easy to make and it is loaded with amazing Italian flavors that just brighten up every dish we pair it with. The luscious flavors of this sauce burst in your mouth when you taste it and just make you want to go back for more.
My favorite ways to enjoy this tomato sauce are on pizza like this Chickpea Flour Pizza, in Lasagna recipes like these Skinny Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups or just simmered with some hearty Eggplant Meatballs.
Why you will love this amazing recipe
- It is an easy 2-step recipe anyone can make!
- The flavor is insane!
- It’s so delicious and goes with so many things
- You can make it and store it for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or freeze it for up to 2 months.
- Healthier than store-bought sauce since you made it so you get to control the ingredients in it.
Ingredients needed to make this homemade tomato sauce recipe
Why use San Marzano Tomatoes?
Because they are the very best low-acid, flavor packed tomatoes to use in any tomato sauce recipe, especially this one. They are basically the caviar of tomatoes.
These tomatoes are popular due their incredible balance of freshness, sweetness, tomato flavors and level of acidity, which makes any tomato sauce taste spectacular. They are also fairly inexpensive and you can find them in almost any grocery store.
How to make homemade San Marzano tomato sauce
- Prep the aromatics. Chop up the onion and garlic, which will help add amazing flavor to the sauce.
- Combine ingredients and blend. Add all of the sauce ingredients to a high-speed bender and blend on high for 20 seconds.
- Simmer. Pour the sauce into a sauce pan on the stovetop and bring it to a low-boil. Then cover and simmer it for 1-2 hours, for the best flavor. Stir in some chopped basil once it is done cooking.
- Serve. You can enjoy this amazing sauce over pasta, on pizza, with meatballs, or just as a dipping sauce with some homemade Eggplant Fries.
How to store homemade tomato sauce
One of the best qualities of this homemade sauce is that you can store it so easily and have it ready to go anytime you need it, which makes it a great make ahead recipe.
Store it in the refrigerator: Let it cool completely and then transfer it to a few mason jars. Top the jars tightly with the lids, label it and store it for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Freeze it: To freeze this sauce, let it cool completely then transfer it to a few freezer-friendly ziplock bags. I like to measure it out into 3-4 cup (24-32oz) portions since that is the typical size of a jar of store-bought sauce. This recipe makes about 8-10 cups of tomato sauce. Finally, lightly press down on the bag to remove any excess air bubbles. Close it up tightly, label it and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How great is that? So easy too!
This homemade sauce goes great with so many things. Here are are some of my favorites.
- Serve it on top of this Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan.
- Use it as a dipping sauce with these amazing Air Fryer Zucchini Fries.
- Use it as the sauce in this Easy Veggie Chicken Pizza Bake.
- Add it as a topping on this Healthy Eggplant Parmesan or this crazy delicious Portobello Mushroom Parmesan.
- Use it as a topping on pizza!
- Serve it with these Healthy Veggie Meatballs.
More easy homemade sauce recipes to try!
- Easy 5 Minutes Romesco Sauce
- Simple Roasted Beet Pesto
- Easy Homemade Basil Lemon Pesto
- 5 Minute Creamy Green Goddess Dressing and Sauce
- 10 Minute Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Tips for success
- Make sure to use real San Marzano Tomatoes. Look at the package to make sure it is MADE IN ITALY and not New Jersey, for example. There are some brands out there that use the San Marzano name on the label but they are not truly San Marzano tomatoes from Italy. Sad but true.
- Use a sweetener to cut through the acid in the tomatoes. I used maple syrup in this recipe since I cannot eat white sugar but you could also use white sugar, stevia, agave or even honey.
- Don’t skip the simmering part of the recipe. Simmering the sauce for 1-2 hours makes all of the difference and allows the flavors to really blend well together. I know it’s easy to think, oh I can skip that step, and you can of course but the result will not be as amazing.
- Use fresh basil. Fresh basil has a stronger flavor than dried basil and adds this amazing hint of flavor that you cannot get with the dried versions.
- Store this sauce in mason jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in freezer-friendly ziplock bags for up to 2 months. Just make sure to let it cool completely first.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out.Print