These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips give you everything you want in a salty, crunchy snack without any guilt. Hassle free and incredibly easy to make in minutes with only 3 ingredients. Vegan, gluten free, kid-friendly and Whole30.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips are an amazing way to SATISFY that crunchy and salty craving without going off track and downing a bag of processed potato chips. I love making these since they are super quick and packed with flavor, crunch and tons of nutrition.
Amazing sweet potatoes are transformed into these healthy chips that make the perfect side dish paired with a Heathy Turkey Burger or Black Bean Burger. You can even enjoy them as a healthy snack in the afternoon or late at night without any guilt. Yay!
Why you will love this recipe
- It only takes a few minutes
- Requires only 3 ingredients
- Gluten Free
- Much healthier alternative to bagged potato chips
Are Sweet Potatoes good for you?
Yes! Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrition like fiber, Vitamins, B and C, calcium and magnesium to name a few. They are also lower in calories and great for weight loss since they keep you fuller longer.
Click here it read more about the health benefits of eating sweet potatoes.
Ingredients needed for air fryer sweet potato chips
- Sweet potato – Medium size sweet potato is best for making chips since they will reduce down in size as they cook.
- Avocado oil – You only need a little bit to help them crisp up.
- Salt & pepper – To enhance the flavors of the sweet potato
How to make air fryer sweet potato chips
- Prep the sweet potatoes. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes well and slice them into 1/8 inch thick rounds using a knife or the preferred method, a mandolin slicer, which will give you more evenly sliced chips. Place them onto a clean paper towel and pat them so they become nice and dry.
- Season the sweet potato. Place the sliced sweet potato into a large bowl and drizzle them with some avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss to coat them in the seasoning.
- Cook the sweet potato chips. Preheat your air fryer and spray the inside of the air fryer basket with a little olive oil spray. Air Fry in batches: Place the chips in an even layer in the air fryer basket and cook them for 12-14 minutes at 375 degrees F. Check them at around 5-7 minutes since some chips will cook faster than others, so you may need to remove some that are already done.
- Garnish and serve. Place the chips onto a paper towel lined dish to crisp up even more and sprinkle them with a dash of dried parsley. Serve warm and enjoy!
See the recipe card below for the full list of ingredients and more detailed recipe instructions.
Tips for making chips in the air fryer
If you are new to using your air fryer then it may take a couple of tries to get this right since air fryers do vary. I tested this recipe in a basket air fryer and a tray air fryer and it worked out great both times. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer as directed in the recipe so it is nice and hot when you add the chips. This will help them get nice and crispy as they air fry.
- Use some oil, you only need a little bit to help them get crispy and not soggy.
- Lay the chips in an even layer and make sure they are not overlapping.
- Flip the chips over halfway through cooking so they get crispy on both sides. Remove any chips that look done since some may be different sizes.
- Try to use medium sweet potatoes that are even in size all around.
- Use a mandolin slicer to cut the potatoes. I tried cutting the potatoes into slices with a sharp kitchen knife as well as a mandolin and the mandolin was not only easier but resulted in thinner, even slices. Plus, it was much faster.
- Make sure to cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices or slightly thinner so the chips get nice and crispy. If you cut them too thick then they will not get as crispy.
- Make these oil-free. You can either coat the chips in oil as suggested in this recipe or spray them with olive oil spray instead, to keep the calories slightly lower.
How to store leftovers
These sweet potato chips are best if eaten right away but you can store them if you prefer. To store these chips, let them cool then transfer them to a ziplock bag or container and keep them in the pantry or cabinet for up to 2 days.
Why are my chips soggy?
There are two reason the chips could turn out soggy.
- You overfilled the air fryer basket with too much overlapping. It is important to lay the sweet potato slices in an even layer in the air fryer basket to allow them to get crispy on all sides.
- They were too wet. Using too much oil and not drying the sweet potatoes before coating them can both cause them to become soggy. Make sure you dry them well before coating them by laying them out on a clean paper towel and patting them dry before adding them to the mixing bowl.
Why did my chips burn?
Because the sweet potato slices can vary in size, some of them will cook faster than others. That is why it is important to check them around 5-7 minutes and remove any chips that are cooked and crispy, then continue cooking the rest.
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips are great on their own but here are some of my favorite recipes to pair them with.
- Serve them with a healthy, hearty sandwich like this veggie loaded Vegan Sandwich or this Roasted Veggies and Hummus Sandwich.
- Enjoy them with some yummy pizza like this Chickpea Flour Pizza or this Pesto Chicken Pizza.
- Pair them with this hearty Vegan Chickpea Hummus Wrap.
More delicious sweet potato recipes to try!
- No Oil Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries
- Sausage and Pepper Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- The Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Vegetarian Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below, I would love to hear from you!Print