Easy roasted beet pesto that goes with so many things, is vegan, healthy, and can be made in minutes. Add it to pasta, as a topping on pizza, spread it on sandwiches, or serve it up as a dip at parties. It’s definitely a surprising and incredible sauce that will become your new favorite!
This beautiful beet pesto combines healthy roasted beets, garlic, lemon juice, pistachios, fresh basil and a nice helping of olive oil. All combined to form this surprising yet incredibly tasty pesto that will be your new favorite for everything. I was so surprised at how amazing this pesto turned out and equally surprised at how quickly it came together.
My son asked, “ Is beet pesto a thing?”. Yes, it is and for a good reason. It’s heart-healthy, anti-inflammatory, packed with vitamins and minerals and crazy good! My kind of sauce!
Beets are so good and so incredible. My other favorite beet recipe are these crispy baked beet chips! Check them out!
What ingredients do you need to make beet pesto?
- Beets – of course!
- Lemon juice
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
That’s it! Oh and something delicious to add it to like pasta or even pizza!
How to make homemade beet pesto
Roast the beets – Place whole, peeled beets in some foil with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Wrap it up and bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Roughly chop the beets, place them into the bowl of a food processor or blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend well until a smooth, slightly chunky, pesto-like, beautiful sauce forms.
So simple, so easy but soooooo amazingly fantastic and delicious!
What to serve with beet pesto?
Beet pesto goes with so many things.
- Mix it in with pasta
- Use it as a sauce on pizza
- Spread it on a sandwich
- Serve it as a dip
Vegan Beet Pesto
Easy roasted beet pesto that goes with so many things, is vegan, healthy, and can be made in minutes. Add it to pasta, as a topping on pizza, spread it on sandwiches, or serve it up as a dip at parties. It's definitely a surprising and incredible sauce that will become your new favorite!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 2 medium-sized beets
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- the juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Roast the beets: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and lay a piece of foil onto a sheet pan. Place the whole, peeled, raw beets onto the foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap the foil up around the beets and place the pan with the foil-covered beets into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the beets are fork-tender. Remove and let cool.
- Make the pesto: Roughly chop the beets and add them to the bowl of a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until a slightly chunky, but smooth pesto forms, scraping down the sides if needed. Add a little water if the pesto looks too chunky.
- Store in a jar or airtight container for up to a week. Add to pasta, topping on pizza, spread on sandwiches, or serve as a dip.
This pesto stores great in the fridge for up to a week.