Healthy carrots cut into French fries then air-fried until super crispy and sweet. These carrot fries are the next best thing to traditional fries but way healthier and packed with so much flavor. A simple quick and easy 15-minute recipe that is also gluten-free and easily made vegan. The perfect healthy appetizer or side dish to any meal.
I am currently obsessed with my air fryer and these insane, healthy Carrot Fries are one of my favorite recipes I have made yet! Hearty sweet carrots tossed in healthy avocado oil then seasoned with garlic and salt and air fried until caramelized and slightly crispy around the edges.
My kids actually devoured these and I almost didn’t get any. Luckily I made them several times just to make sure I got them just right for you all, so I did get to try them and wow, they are delicious!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The flavor of the carrots after being cooked is just amazing!
- Super easy and ready in under 15 minutes
- It is already gluten-free and easily made vegan
- A healthier way to satisfy that French fry craving
- A great way to get your kids to eat more veggies
Are carrot fries healthy?
Now, everyone has a different version of what “healthy” means to them but I can say that when compared to a normal serving of French fries, which will typically cost you around 350 calories plus loads of fat and really not much nutrition at all, these fries are healthy.
Why are they healthy? Well, they are made with carrots which are much better for you than white potatoes since they contain less sugar and carbs. Carrots are also half the calories of potatoes and have just as much potassium along with other nutrients.
Cooking the carrots in the air fryer removes all of the fatty oil and deep frying which is how traditional French fries are cooked and indeed makes them much healthier.
How great is that? Now, I am not going to say that these are better than regular French fries but they are a much better option for your waistline and overall health. Plus they are under 100 calories per serving which is much less than traditional fries.
Ingredients you will need
- Carrots – whole, fresh carrots that you can easily peel and cut into french fry shapes.
- Avocado oil – to help the carrots become nice and golden as they cook and allow the flavorful seasoning to stick to them.
- Seasoning – garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Optional garnish ingredients – dried parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
How to make carrot fries in the air fryer
It is so easy to make these delicious carrot fries in under 15 minutes in your air fryer.
- Peel and cut the carrots. This is very easy to do. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots, then slice off the ends. If the carrots are longer then slice them in half and then cut them into ¼-inch thick carrot sticks. Expert tip: Thinner-cut fries will get crispier and take less time to cook.
- Season the fries. In a small bowl combine the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the fries with avocado oil, toss, and then season them with the garlic salt mixture and toss to coat them all in the seasoning.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Once it is ready, spray the basket with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Place the carrot fries into the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook them for 8-12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time. Per the recipe card below.
- Garnish and serve. Once the carrot fries are done, let them cool for a few minutes then plate them and garnish them with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and parsley.
Pro tip! Air fryers are all different so cooking times and temperatures will vary. My air fryer only goes up to 400 degrees F but you should use the highest temperature your air fryer goes to for cooking these carrot fries. This will give you the best results.
This hassle-free and also guilt-free carrot fries recipe is a must-try! The crispy edges of the carrots combined with the sweet and savory flavors are so appetizing. Dip them in some spicy ketchup to spice them up even more.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes, you can! They will take a little bit longer to cook but it is very easy to cook these fries in the oven. Here is how to do it:
- Follow the recipe all the way up to season the carrots.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the carrot fries in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake them for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking to make sure they get crispy on all sides.
- Remove, garnish, and serve.
Why are my air fryer carrot fries soggy?
Cooking fries of any kind in the air fryer may result in soggy fries. There are two main reasons these carrots fries could turn out on the soggier side.
First, it is important not to cut them too thick since cutting them thinner (about ¼ inch in thickness is best) will result in crispier fries.
Second, is that you cooked them at the wrong temperature or not long enough. These carrots fries will be slightly less crispy than real potato fries since carrots hold more water and we are not frying them in oil. Although, they still come out fairly crispy and in my opinion not soggy at all if you follow this recipe.
Ways to serve air fryer carrot fries
These healthy fries pair well with so many different dishes. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Enjoy them with a good healthy burger. Such as this Healthy Turkey Burger, and this Healthy Black Bean Burger.
- Have them as a healthy side dish with some pizza, like this Chickpea Flour Pizza or this Chicken Pizza Bake.
- Pair them with a healthy salad, such as this Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, this Kale Caesar Salad, or this Curry Chicken Salad.
- Since carrots are the main ingredient in this recipe, make sure to select carrots that are nice and bright orange with little to no blemishes or brown spots.
- Cut the carrots into ¼ inch or thinner carrot sticks for crispier fries. Note that the thinner you cut them, the less time they will need to cook.
- You can cut the calories down even more by using olive oil spray instead of the avocado oil in this recipe. They will still get crispy and delicious.
Storing and reheating suggestions
- Storing these fries -This recipe is really best if eaten right away since the fries can get soggy if left out for too long. You can store them after cooking them. Let them cool completely, place them into an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To reheat carrot fries – Reheat them in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 2-3 minutes.
Recommended Tools For Making this Recipe
Here are the tools I used to make these amazing carrot fries.
More Air Fryer Recipes To Try
- Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Easy Baked Eggplant Fries
- Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- Easy Air Fryer Salmon Patties with Fennel Apple Slaw
Did you try this air fryer carrot fries recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print