Crispy Baked Eggplant Fries that are gluten-free and so easy to make! Chickpea breadcrumbs stuck to soft and tasty eggplant all baked to oven-fried perfection and matched with a delicious marinara dipping sauce! The best healthy snack or appetizer everyone will love!
I just love these Easy Baked Eggplant Fries! They are super crispy, satisfying and so fun to make and eat!
When I was working in CT, there was this incredible pizza shop that my co-workers and I used to go to during our lunch break. They had the most amazing eggplant fries that we would all get, along with salad to balance out the crispy fried eggplant. Those fries were so good and we got them every single time!
Almost as incredible as these Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries that are also so delicious and will satisfy that French fry craving for sure.
I miss that crew and all the fun we used to have! They made the work not feel like work, and our lunches out were the BEST!
So in honor of the good old days, I am bringing you a healthier, gluten-free version of those eggplant fries. These Easy Baked Eggplant Fries are much lighter since they are baked with no frying in oil, but still super crispy and delicious.
Although, if you worked out hard all week and feel like indulging in some incredible homemade fried eggplant then check out this recipe from Gonna Want Seconds. It’s delicious!
Now back to my lighter more figure-friendly Easy Baked Eggplant Fries for the times when you need to cut back a little on fried foods but still want all that crunchy goodness.
Is Eggplant good for you?
Yes! Eggplant is actually a fruit but that most people classify as a vegetable. It is naturally very low in calories and carbohydrates but also packed with nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Potassium.
Eggplant also only has 20 calories per serving. How is that for a low-calorie food you can enjoy in the form of fries or incredible Air-Fryer Eggplant Parmesan or these amazing Baked Eggplant Meatballs?
How To Make Easy Baked Eggplant Fries
Eggplant fries are super simple and easy to make and are a great alternative to traditional French fries. You can make them in the oven or even the air-fryer in less than 30 minutes (see recipe notes on the air-fryer version of this recipe).
Whenever I make these, which is pretty often, they go quickly and everyone raves about how crispy and crunchy they are with no oil at all!
Of course, I never mention how healthy they are for you until everyone devours every last bite.
- Start by cutting the eggplant, skin-on since that helps the breadcrumbs stick, plus the skin is so good for you! To cut the eggplant into fries, just slice off the ends and rounded edges and save them for roasting. Using a sharp knife, slice the eggplant into even size french fry shapes.
- Dredge the eggplant in some egg and gluten-free breadcrumbs (I used Chickpea breadcrumbs). There are a lot of varieties of gluten-free breadcrumbs at the grocery store or Trader Joe’s, so you can choose any brand. I did try a few and they all yielded a similar crispy result. You can also use panko breadcrumbs if you prefer not to make these gluten-free.
3. Place the breaded eggplant onto a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, and bake in a 425-degree F oven for 25 minutes, turning the fries over halfway through the cooking time.
4. When they are done, sprinkle them with a little sea salt to taste and pair them with your favorite marinara sauce.
I mean! Look at that crispy, crunchy easy baked eggplant fry. I cannot handle it! These Easy Baked Eggplant Fries are literally one of my favorite recipes. I am also working on an Easy Baked Zucchini Fries recipe, so stay tuned.
This recipe would be so perfect for a fun addition to dinner or an appetizer for a small gathering of friends to enjoy with some great wine. Yummy!
What to serve with these Eggplant fries
These fries would go so great with many other recipes or they can be enjoyed all on their own. Here are some of my favorite recipes to pair with these Eggplant Fries.
- A hearty burger. Such as these Healthy Black Bean Burgers, Chickpea Cauliflower Burgers, or these Easy Healthy Turkey Burgers.
- A delicious sandwich or wrap. Like this Easy Vegan Sandwich or this Chickpea Chicken Salad.
- Soup. Like this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, this Hearty Creamy Tomato Soup, or this Lemony Lentil Soup.
Here are some other quick and easy appetizers you may also enjoy!
- Air Fryer Fries
- No Oil Sweet Potato Wedges
- Easy Crispy Oven Roasted chickpeas
- Sweet and Spicy Baked Cauliflower Wings
- Taco Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas
- Healthy Baked Beet Chips
- Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
- Green Bean Fries
- Try your best to cut the eggplant into even-size shapes so they all cook at a similar time.
- You can use any kind of breadcrumbs. I just used gluten-free chickpea breadcrumbs but you can also use panko breadcrumbs if you do not need to keep this recipe gluten free.
- This recipe also works well with zucchini to make zucchini fries. Stay tuned for my zucchini fries recipe coming soon.
- To make these in the air-fryer: Preheat the air-fryer to 390 degrees. Spray the basket with cooking spray, place the breaded eggplant into the air-fryer basket in a single layer, spray them with olive oil cooking spray and cook in batches for 6-8 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking time.
- The best dipping sauce for these fries, are you ready? Marinara sauce (store-bought) + ketchup. Trust!!! It is everything with these fries.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a comment and rating below.Print