This is the Best Vegan Sandwich that is loaded with crunchy veggies and a creamy green goddess dressing that you can make in 10 minutes! Enjoy this sandwich for a quick and easy lunch or dinner that you can even take on the go!
This amazing Vegan Sandwich is going to become your new favorite sandwich recipe! It is loaded with fresh, nutritious veggies that give it a wonderful crunch layered with an unbelievably creamy green goddess dressing.
It is just the perfect meatless healthy dinner that the whole family will love!
You may also want to try this chickpea chicken salad for another great lunch idea that is quick and easy and also requires no cooking.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Light and fresh – This vegan sandwich is packed with vibrant crisp veggies, which makes it light and fresh!
- Easy to make – You can make it in 10 minutes
- Stores great – It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days!
- Vegan and easily gluten-free – It’s vegan, can easily be made gluten-free, and is a crowd-pleaser if you are entertaining.
- Healthy and nutritious – It is loaded with healthy veggies and an amazing creamy green goddess dressing that is packed with vitamins and fiber!
What is the best type of bread to use for a healthy sandwich?
For this healthy vegan sandwich, I used crusty ciabatta bread that was actually gluten-free. But you could use any bread you like such as sprouted grain bread, rolls, wraps, or even naan bread. All of these would work perfectly for making an easy sandwich recipe like this one.
This sandwich recipe is so versatile since you can serve it as a Sandwich, wrap, or even a salad!
Ingredients you will need
To make this healthy veggie sandwich you will need:
- Ciabatta bread – you can really use any bread you like or even turn this sandwich into a wrap. It’s up to you.
- Green Goddess Dressing – you can use a homemade version or a store-bought brand like Trader Joe’s.
- Arugula – peppery fresh arugula adds a nice kick of flavor and nutrition, spinach or watercress will also work great!
- Sprouts – I used broccoli sprouts but any type of sprouts will work.
- Bell peppers – you can use mini bell peppers or medium size. Just make sure to cut them thin so you can easily pile them into the sandwich. Any color variety you have works great!
- Cucumber – English cucumber works best since it contains fewer seeds but any will work.
- Cherry tomatoes – for that ice hint of sweetness, you can also use Roma tomatoes and just cut them into smaller pieces.
- Salt and pepper – optional to season the veggies.
How to make the Best Vegan Sandwich
- Slice the bread in half so you have two large pieces of bread then cut each half into 3 equal sections so you have a top and bottom piece of bread for 3 sandwiches. You can make them smaller if you prefer or use ciabatta rolls instead.
- Make the green goddess dressing or you can use store-bought of course.
- Spread on the dressing. Slather the dressing evenly on all of the pieces of bread.
- Add veggies. Then layer the veggies on the bottom half of the sandwiches in any order you like. I layered them this way: arugula, sprouts, peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- Finish it off. Put the sandwiches together by placing the remaining slices of bread on top of the veggie-layered pieces of bread.
- Serve and enjoy. Slice up the sandwich, and serve with veggie chips or more cut veggies and dip.
Substitutions and Variations
- Want to make this low-carb? You can use lettuce cups or collard greens as the base instead of bread. Just blanch the collard greens before assembling the sandwich so they are easier to roll. Here is a good tutorial on how to blanch collard greens.
- Mix up the veggies. Use shredded carrots, watercress, spinach, thinly sliced zucchini, sliced radishes, or even grilled portobello mushrooms.
- Add some protein. You could add in some crispy baked tofu, crispy chickpeas, or even some black beans for added protein.
- Use a different dressing. I used a green goddess dressing in this recipe but feel free to use any dressing or sauce you like.
- Make it gluten-free. Easily make this sandwich recipe gluten-free by using gluten free bread.
Recipe Tips for making the best healthy sandwich
- You don’t have to use ciabatta bread. I chose to use a large ciabatta loaf that I sliced into portions after assembly, but you could use any kind of bread and simply evenly distribute the ingredients if using slices of bread, rolls or even wraps.
- These sandwiches can be made ahead! Simply wrap each piece of the sandwich in parchment paper, then foil, and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store any extra dressing separately in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to cut the veggies thinner so that they are easier to layer on top of each other.
- Spread the green goddess dressing on both sides of the bread since it will help hold the sandwich together better.
- Season the veggies with a little salt and pepper for the best flavor.
What to serve with this vegan sandwich
Pair it with these air-fryer sweet potato wedges or these sweet and spicy baked cauliflower wings that can also be made in the air-fryer. This sandwich is also great on the go since it stores so well for a few days. Perfect to pack for lunch!
Here are some other ways to serve it:
- Fries: Such as these Crispy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries, Sweet Potato Wedges, or these Healthy Baked Eggplant Fries.
- More Veggies: Such as these Crispy Baked Beet Chips or these Easy Ranch Roasted Carrots
- Chips or veggies and dip: Such as this 5 Minute Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
- Pair it with a light soup: Such as this Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup , Creamy Asparagus Soup or this Sweet Potato Soup.
More easy vegan recipes to try
- Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Best Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Israeli Couscous Salad
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
Did you make this vegan sandwich recipe? If you did, then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how it turned out!
This recipe and post have been updated with more process shots and an improved recipe card.Print