Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip makes the best easy appetizer or snack! It is creamy, loaded with flavor, and is the perfect game-day recipe that goes great with veggies, chips, or crackers. This version is made a little lighter and is gluten-free, and keto, but still super rich, creamy, and delicious. You are going to love it!
Can you think of a better appetizer than a spicy, creamy healthy buffalo chicken dip? Probably not!
Buffalo chicken dip is not usually the healthiest dip recipe but in this version, we lightened it up a bit to make it slightly healthier so we can enjoy more of it!
You will just love that it still tastes perfectly spicy, rich, and creamy but with a little less fat and calories than traditional buffalo chicken dip.
What makes this buffalo chicken dip healthy?
As I said, most buffalo chicken dips are not healthy but this version is. Here is what makes this one a little lighter and better for you!
- Low carb – due to the combination of cottage cheese and shredded chicken, this dip is very low in carbs, which is great if you follow a KETO diet, making it a KETO buffalo chicken dip.
- Lower in fat – by adding the combination of cottage cheese + reduced fat cream cheese and only using a little bit of shredded cheese in this recipe it makes it much lower in fat than the traditional version.
- Higher in protein – shredded chicken breast + cottage cheese gives this buffalo dip a good amount of protein and for a game-day snack that is a wonderful thing!
- Low sodium and low sugar – both great things for a healthy dip to be! Of course, you control the sodium in this recipe so make sure to use less salt, if needed.
I did not add as much cheese to this buffalo chicken dip as you would normally see in a recipe like this but if you prefer more cheese then go for it!
Ingredients you will need
This healthy buffalo chicken dip is very easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
- Cooked shredded chicken – This is so easy to do ahead of time, which I love! Try this Instant Pot shredded chicken for a quick and easy way to make it ahead!
- Buffalo sauce – you can use homemade or store-bought.
- Cottage cheese – I know most of you are thinking you don’t like cottage cheese but trust me, you cannot taste it at all! I whipped it in a food processor for about 10 seconds since I like it to be a smoother texture but you can skip this step if you want to.
- Reduced fat cream cheese – this combines great with cottage cheese and gives this dip a wonderful creamy taste.
- Roasted red peppers + green chiles – I just used store-bought, which made this recipe even easier and these ingredients add a nice flavor and color to the dip.
- Seasoning – garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – any shredded cheese will work but shredded cheddar is best, in my opinion.
How To Make Healthy buffalo chicken dip
- Combine all of the dip ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 8×8 or 8×9 baking dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake and serve!
Ways to serve healthy buffalo chicken dip
You can enjoy healthy buffalo chicken dip any way you like. Here are a few suggestions.
- Tortilla chips – We love these homemade chips.
- Veggies – this dip is great with crisp, fresh veggies like carrots (carrot chips are great too!), celery sticks, and sliced radishes.
- Crackers – like wheat thins, Triscuits, or my favorite, Mary’s Gone Crackers.
- Wraps – this dip also makes a great filling for a buffalo chicken wrap!
Substitutions and variations for low-carb buffalo chicken dip
- Cream cheese – if you don’t want to use cream cheese then plain greek yogurt can be used in place of it. The dip will turn out just as delicious!
- Cottage cheese – this recipe was created using cottage cheese. If you think you don’t like it then do not worry, you cannot taste it AT ALL! I whipped it in the food processor for 10 seconds before adding it to the dip so it had more of a smoother, greek yogurt consistency.
- Blue cheese – I did not include any blue cheese in this recipe but if you really want to add it in then go ahead. You can add it to the mixture or just on top before or after you bake it. It is up to you!
- Dairy-Free Buffalo Dip – I made this version using dairy but if you wanted to remove the dairy you could combine the buffalo sauce with about 1 cup of mayo + ¼ cup non-dairy greek yogurt and use dairy-free cheese for the top. I have not tested this out but it would totally work!
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip – if you prefer a ranch flavor to your chicken dip then you can add in ¼ cup of your favorite ranch dressing. So good!
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip – if you prefer to use your instant pot to make this dip then you can mix up the filling, add it to your Instant Pot, secure the lid to the sealing position, set it to cook for 2 minutes, then remove the lid, add the cheese, and place the lid back on to melt the cheese. I like to pour it into a baking dish or serving bowl, and then serve it that way.
Can you make this easy buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot?
This healthy buffalo chicken dip is already so quick and easy to make that it is not necessary to make it in the crockpot. If you would like to use your crockpot to make it then you can combine the dip ingredients and cook them on low for 2-3 hours in your crockpot. Right at the end of the cooking time, top it with the cheese, and place the cover on for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
How to store buffalo chicken dip
- Make it ahead of time: You can assemble this dip, cover it, and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day before you top it and bake it.
- Storing buffalo chicken dip: You can store this dip after you bake it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing this dip: I don’t recommend freezing this dip since it will likely get watery and lose some of its flavors.
- Reheating this buffalo chicken dip: you can easily reheat this buffalo chicken dip in portions in the microwave until warmed through. You can also reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F until the cheese is melty and the dip is warmed all the way through.
Other healthy buffalo recipes
- Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- 10-Minute Healthy Buffalo Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders with Buffalo sauce
More healthy Game-day recipes
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Baked Cauliflower Wings
- Easy Crockpot BBQ Meatballs
- Air Fryer Fries
- 4 Ingredient Guacamole
Did you try this healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print