This Veggie chicken pizza bake is loaded with all of those wonderful pizza toppings and flavors we love but it is low-carb and packed with tons of protein. Tender chicken breast filled with spicy pepperoni, crisp veggies, tomato sauce and melty mozzarella cheese, seasoned with an incredible pizza seasoning and baked until bubbly and saucy. 30 minutes to make and a meal your whole family will enjoy!
I don’t know about you but pizza is the number one requested dish in our house and sometimes I am actually sick of making it. Enter in this amazingly easy low-carb veggie chicken pizza bake that my kids loved. A great alternative to pizza!
We also love this Chickpea flour Crust Pizza that is also lower in carbs and super easy to make!
My kids especially enjoyed the cheesy filled pepperoni center that is just so juicy and melty. It really does give you that pizza taste and experience without the carbs which is fantastic for those lower carb days.
Why you will love this recipe
- It only takes 30-35 minutes and is so easy to make.
- You can customise the toppings, which I love.
- It’s literally the best low carb option for pizza like ever!
- Melty cheese, tomato sauce, veggie and pepperoni inside tender baked chicken, hello!
- A meal your entire family will go crazy for.
Ingredients needed to make this veggie chicken pizza bake
How To Make this chicken pizza bake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butterfly each chicken breast using a sharp kitchen knife. Make sure not to slice the chicken all the way through. You want it to be open like a book. To butterfly the chicken, lay it on a flat surface, look for the widest edge and slice it in half using a sharp knife but do not slice it all the way through.
- Mix up the olive oil with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the sliced chicken breast in a bowl and pour the seasoning over it. Use your hands to cover the chicken in the seasoning.
- Then open up each chicken breast like a book and on one half of the chicken layer the sliced mozzarella cheese, then 6-8 slices of pepperoni, the chopped onion, bell pepper, olives, a spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Then carefully close up each one by folding over the other half and pinching the ends together lightly. Continue until you have filled all of the chicken breasts.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, spread it out in an even layer then lay the chicken on top of the sauce.
- Cover the chicken with the rest of the sauce, pepperoni, diced veggies and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
That’s it! How super simple is that? I love this recipe of course because it is so tasty but also because I can make it quickly any day of the week since it comes together in only a few steps and bakes in under 30 minutes.
Plus it’s a meal my whole family will eat which makes my life even easier, lol!
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
You can make this ahead of time by assembling the entire recipe then cover it and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.
- Use good quality organic chicken breast since it is more plump and just so much better in a recipe like this with chicken as the main ingredient.
- Select your favorite sauce for this recipe. I love Primal Kitchen Tomato Sauce for a store-bought version or this Homemade Tomato Sauce.
- Cut the veggies small so they fit nicely inside the chicken when you stuff it.
- You can use pizza seasoning or the blend I used in the recipe to season the chicken.
- You can use toothpicks to secure the chicken if needed, but make sure you take them out after the chicken is done baking. I didn’t need to use toothpicks since I was able easy pinch the edges together to secure it.
- When slicing the chicken in half, look for the widest edge and start there, just don’t cut it all the way through.
- Don’t overstuff the chicken. I placed a few slices of mozzarella cheese, then 6-8 slices of pepperoni, some chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, sliced olives, then a spoonful or two of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese in each and it was the perfect amount.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below.