These easy Air Fryer Apple Chips are the best healthy snack that you can eat everyday without any guilt. They come together in minutes and turn into these amazing low calorie, sweet chips that taste like apple pie. Plus they are gluten free, vegan and so good for you!
Air Fryer Apple Chips are definitely the next big thing. Trust me, they are that good! I love a good apple crisp in the fall but it is not something I would eat often since it is more of an indulgent dessert, like this amazing Gluten Free Apple Pear Crisp or these more healthier Air Fryer Baked Apples.
What are air fryer apple chips?
Air Fryer Apple Chips are a wonderful quick and healthy snack you can make using your air fryer, some apples and a few other ingredients. You slice the apples thin, season them and then cook them until nice and crispy without any oil in the air fryer.
These healthy apple chips are my stand in when I am craving something warm and sweet and a little bit crunchy.
When I made these for the first time I was literally blown away by the incredible flavor of the apples that just pops when you air fry them! It’s pretty amazing.
Why you will love this recipe
- Quick and easy thanks to the air fryer!
- A healthy chip recipe you will love!
- They are gluten free, paleo and vegan
- Kid-friendly – my kids eat them all when I make them
- The BEST nutritious, low-calorie, healthy snack!
I have made apple chips in the oven before but it was a bit more time consuming and they did not come out as good as these did. This apple chip recipe is made much simpler by cooking the sliced apples in minutes in the air fryer, which results in beautifully crispy, flavor packed healthy chips. Yup!
What types of apples work best for making apple chips?
After testing this recipe with a few different types of apples, I found that Granny Smith, Honeycrisp and Pink Lady apples worked best in this recipe. Mostly because they are all pretty crisp, firm and flavourful and they just form the perfect size chip once you slice and cook them.
Ingredients needed to make air fryer apple chips
How to make apple chips in the air fryer
You can make these apple chips in minutes and enjoy them guilt free any time of day!
- Prep the apples. Wash and dry the apples then use a mandolin slicer or sharp knife to slice the apples into thin chips. Then place the sliced apples onto a clean paper towel or clean kitchen towel and blot them with another dry towel to remove any excess moisture from the apples.
- Season. Sprinkle the dry apple slices with the apple pie spice and a pinch of sea salt. I like to season them by sprinkling the spices higher right over the apples so they get all nice and evenly coated in the seasoning.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 300 degrees F. Once the air fryer is ready, spray the air fryer basket with non aerosol cooking spray or olive oil spray and place the sliced, seasoned apple chips into the air fryer basket in an even layer. Expert Tip: Place a rack on top of the apples to prevent them from flying around the air fryer as they cook. You will likely need to cook the apple chips in batches. Cook the apple chips for 15 minutes, turning them over about every 5 minutes and sprinkle the other side with the seasoning. Check them around 12 minutes to make sure they do not burn.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove the apple chips from the air fryer and place them onto a plate and let them cool for a few minutes (they will get even more crispy as they cool). Then dig in!
How to store apple chips
The best way to store these apple chips so they stay nice and flavourful and crispy is by letting them cool completely and storing them in an airtight container. They should last about 4-6 days if stored this way and kept on the counter.
Make sure to let them cool really well so they have almost no moisture, which will make them get soggy.
Can I make my own apple pie spice blend?
Yes you can! To make your own apple pie spice blend combine the following ingredients in a mason jar or small bowl. You can easily mix it up and store this spice blend in a spice container or small mason jar.
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Do I need to peel or core the apples?
In this recipe you do not need to peel or core the apples. The skin gives these apple chips a nice color and crunch as well as a good amount of fiber. Once you slice the apples the seeds actually just fall out as well, which is why you also do not need to core them.
Of course, if you prefer coring the apples before you slice them then go right ahead. I love the simplicity and the tastiness of this recipe. It really is the BEST healthy fall treat!
What makes these chips healthy?
Well they are made from nutritious apples, which gives them lots of vitamins and minerals along with a big amount of flavor and crunch.
These chips are also an amazing low-calorie snack that even your kids will enjoy. They are also made from real, whole ingredients, are gluten free, vegan and paleo and are much healthier then store-bought apple chips or potato chips.
They make a great lunch box snack for the kids as well as fun snack to take on family outings like to the park or on a hike.
Plus if you are on weight watchers or a lower calorie diet then these chips would be a perfect light and simple snack for you to enjoy any day of the week!
How to select the best apples for making apple chips
The best apples for this recipe are nice crisp, fresh apples that you can get all year round at any grocery store. During the fall months, I recommend getting apples from your local farm stand or orchard since they will be the most fresh and flavourful.
You also want to choose apples that are relatively the same size so they cook evenly and within the same amount of time. The chips will reduce down in size a bit as they cook so medium size apples work best since they yield the perfect snack size chips.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes, you can definitely make these apple chips in the oven but it will take a lot longer, around 2 hours or so. This is why I chose to create this 15 minute recipe using the air fryer. To bake them in the oven, place them in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and cook them at 200 degrees F for 2 hours, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time. It may take a little less or more time depending on your oven so check them during cooking so they do not burn.
Expert tips and tricks
- Make sure to wash the apples really well before cooking to remove any dirt or pesticides.
- You can use a mandolin slicer (preferred) or a sharp knife to slice the apples into thin chips. Try your best to make them all relatively the same size.
- If you have any leftover apple ends you can chop them up and use them in another recipe like this Must Make Chopped Kale Salad or these Healthy Apple Muffins.
- Check the apples every 5 minutes during cooking so you can ensure they do not burn. Flipping them will help. Remove any smaller chips that may get fully cooked in a shorter amount of time.
- For easier clean up you can use an air fryer liner to line the air fryer basket before adding the chips.
More healthy snacks to try!
- Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato chips
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- No Oil Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Healthy Baked Beet Chips
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print