Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
Air fryer chickpeas are the best crunchy, delicious snack you can make at home. They come out so crispy and take half the time they take in the oven, thanks to the air fryer. These tasty roasted chickpeas are vegan and gluten free and they make a wonderful healthy snack everyone will love!
I have been loving my air fryer this summer which is probably obvious with all the new air fryer recipes I have been creating like this air fryer coconut shrimp and these air fryer fries. But my new favorite recipe is these air fryer chickpeas!
I love the idea of roasting chickpeas since they come out perfectly crispy and are so tasty. Like this oven roasted chickpeas recipe. It is a fan favorite that you all just love so much.
Cooking the chickpeas in the air fryer allows you to make them much faster and it also results in perfectly crunchy, chickpeas that are so AMAZING! We love them as a healthy snack or on top of soups or salads. Plus this air fryer recipe is vegan and gluten free!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy way to make perfectly crispy chickpeas
- It only requires a few simple ingredients
- Totally customizable
- Vegan and gluten free healthy snack!
What do air fryer chickpeas taste like?
These air-fried chickpeas are crunchy and crispy with a slightly chewy center and they easily soak up anything you season them with. They are a bite size addictive snack that everyone will love! One of the best things about this recipe is that it is also so inexpensive and packed with protein. Making it a budget-friendly treat that is wonderful for the whole family!
Ingredients you will need
- Chickpeas – canned, low-sodium chickpeas
- Olive oil – you can also use avocado oil
- Salt, pepper garlic powder and cumin – the perfect seasoning combination for this recipe, see alternative seasoning suggestions below.
How To Cook Chickpeas In The Air Fryer
- Prepare the chickpeas – Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Then dry them really well on a clean kitchen towel or you can also use a salad spinner to do this.
- Season – Place the dry chickpeas into a bowl, drizzle them with olive oil. Then mix up the salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder and sprinkle it all over the chickpeas. Toss the chickpeas to coat them all in the seasoning.
- Cook – Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F and spray the air fry basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Pour the seasoned chickpeas into the air fryer basket in an even layer and give the basket a little shake to evenly distribute them. Close and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve – Once the chickpeas are done, remove them from the air fryer and place them into a bowl. Sprinkle them with more salt if desired and serve.
Do I have to dry the chickpeas?
Yes! This is such an important step that you do not want to skip. Drying the chickpeas allows them to absorb all of the seasoning and helps them get super crispy in the air fryer. If you do not dry them then they will become soggy and unflavorful. Plus it only takes seconds to dry them and it is totally worth it!
How long does it take to cook chickpeas in the air fryer?
As you will see in this recipe, it only takes about 10 minutes for them to get perfectly crispy in the air fryer. That’s almost half the time that it takes in the oven and it results in the same crunchy, crispy chickpeas.
Are air fryer chickpeas healthy?
Yes! Air fryer chickpeas are high in fiber and protein and they contain many other nutrients such as calcium and magnesium. They are also great for digestion and weight loss since they keep you fuller longer due to the fact that they are a higher fiber, protein-rich snack.
Ways to season chickpeas
One of the best things about chickpeas is that they really will soak up anything you season them with, as long as you dry them first. Here are a few other ways we like to season them.
- Salt and pepper
- Taco seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- Cinnamon sugar
- Fajita seasoning
How to serve crispy chickpeas
You can enjoy these crispy chickpeas all on their own as a quick and healthy snack or add them to so many other dishes. Here are are few ways to serve these chickpeas.
- In a wrap like this hummus wrap with crispy chickpeas.
- On top of a salad in place of croutons like in the chickpea Kale Caesar Salad.
- In a buddha bowl like this chickpeas and Greens Buddha Bowl.
- As a topping on soup like this roasted butternut squash soup.
Air fryer chickpeas will absorb some moisture as they cool and sit but you can store them and then reheat them in the air fryer. If you reheat them for 2-3 minutes at around 360 degrees F they will get crispy again.
You can store them after they have been cooked and cooled in a container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Cooking chickpeas in the air fryer or the oven are both healthy and easy ways to cook chickpeas.
More Chickpea Recipes to try!
- Taco Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas
- Simple Chickpea Chicken Salad (Vegan)
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice – With Chickpeas
Did you try this air fryer chickpeas recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print
Air Fryer Chickpeas – Easy 15 Minute Recipe
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare the chickpeas – drain and rinse the chickpeas then dry them well on a clean kitchen towel or in a salad spinner.
- Season – Place them into a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil. Combine the cumin, garlic, salt and pepper in a smaller bowl then add the seasoning to the chickpeas. Toss the chickpeas to coat them well in the oil and seasoning.
- Cook – preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the chickpeas into the air fryer and shake the basket a little to distribute them evenly. Close and cook the chickpeas for 10 minutes, flipping them in the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve – once the chickpeas are done cooking, transfer them to a bowl and sprinkle them with a little more salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Make sure to dry the chickpeas before you season and cook them. Do not skip this step since it helps the seasoning stick to the chickpeas and it also helps them to get nice and crispy when you air fry them.
- You can store these chickpeas in a container on the counter for up to 3 days. Reheat them for 2-3 minutes at 360 degrees F right in the air fryer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Healthy snacks and appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: air fryer chickpeas, chickpeas in the air fryer, roasted chickpeas, crispy chickpeas, air fryer chickpeas recipes
Leave a Reply