Air fryer tortilla chips only require 3 ingredients and can be made in 5 minutes right in the air fryer! Perfect for dipping in your favourite salsa or guacamole. A healthier alternative to store-bought tortilla chips.
Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips
Air Fryer tortilla chips are the best healthy snack or appetizer you can make that everyone will love! They are made right in the air fryer with 3 simple ingredients in under 5 minutes. You will love how easy and delicious this homemade tortilla chip recipe is.
Similar to these sweet potato chips that are also gluten free and so easy to make!
These chips are a much healthier alternative to bagged chips since they contain much less oil and fat. Perfect for serving with some fresh tomato salsa, spicy mango salsa or a healthy spinach artichoke dip. They also go great as a side for a one pot turkey chili or chicken soup.
Tortilla chips in the air fryer
Making tortillas chips in the air fryer is so fun and easy to do. The best part is that it requires no deep frying in oil to get them super crispy and delicious. Here are a few reasons you will just love this recipe!
- It only requires 3 ingredients.
- Ready in 5 minutes or less!
- They make the perfect healthy snack.
- Much healthier than store-bought tortilla chips.
- Lower in carbs than store-bought chips
- Lower in Calories due to the use of less oil and artificial ingredients
- These healthy air fryer chips go perfectly with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
- You can also bake them in the oven! See below for oven instructions.
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Ingredients
You can easily make this recipe with a few simple ingredients.
- Corn or flour tortillas – I used corn tortillas to keep this recipe fully gluten free but it also works with flour tortillas. Most grocery stores now carry gluten free flour tortillas as well. Either way, you can follow the same steps for whichever type of tortillas you choose to use.
- Olive oil – you only need a little bit and this helps the chips crisp up quickly as they cook. Or you can leave it out and make these tortilla chips oil-free.
- Salt – to add some great flavor to the chips.
How to make tortilla chips in the air fryer
Step 1: Use a sharp kitchen knife to cut the corn tortillas into even size triangles. I like to stack the tortillas 3-4 high then cut about 6 chips per tortilla. If you are using flour tortillas that are larger then you would cut about 8 pieces per tortilla. You really just want to make sure to cut them into even size pieces (i.e triangles).
Step 2: Add the cut tortillas to a large bowl, spray them well with the cooking spray, toss to coat then sprinkle them with some salt.
Step 3: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F and place the tortillas into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook them at 360 degrees F for 4-5 minutes. I like to check them at around 4 minutes just to make sure they don’t burn.
Step 4: Continue cooking them in batches until you have made all of the tortilla chips. I can fit 11-12 chips in my cosori air fryer at a time.
Step 5: Serve with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
Expert tip: For perfectly crispy (not burned or soggy chips) place them in an even layer in the air fryer basket. You will have to cook them in batches but it is quick and totally worth it! See step by step photos below.
These crispy and healthy tortillas chips make a great after school snack for the kids or a wonderful addition to family taco night!
I like the traditional olive oil and salt flavor of tortilla chips but if you are feeling like you want to change it up, then here are some other flavor combinations that work great with this tortilla chip recipe.
- Taco seasoned tortilla chips – add about ½ teaspoon of taco seasoning to the tortillas before you cook them for a nice, slightly spicy kick that also goes great for a Mexican themed party!
- Cajun seasoned – add about ½ teaspoon of cajun seasoning to the tortilla chips before you cook them to add a nice earthy, spicy flavor. This is slightly different from taco seasoning since it has more herbs and is a little bit spicier.
- Chili lime – one of my family’s favorites is chili lime tortillas. Just add a ¼ teaspoon of chili powder to the chips before you cook them, then once they are done cooking, immediately sprinkle them with a little fresh lime juice. They are so good!
- Cinnamon sugar – my kids love this version so much! Before you cook the chips, brush them with some melted butter and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. These go great dipped in healthy cream cheese frosting as a fun dessert.
- Preheat the air fryer. If your air fryer does not have a preheat setting then set it to 360 degrees and wait for it to come to temperature then add the tortillas to the air fryer and cook them as instructed in the recipe. Note: air fryers vary so you will need to check the chips as they cook to ensure you get the time and temperature just right.
- If you are afraid the tortillas will fly around the air fryer then you can place a metal rack (mine came with one) on top of the chips before you air fry them.
- You definitely want to try to cook the chips in batches and place them in an even layer, as best you can in the air fryer basket for perfectly crispy (not burned or soggy) chips.
Homemade baked tortilla chips
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem! You can also make these amazing chips in the oven as well!
- Cut the corn tortillas and season them as directed in this recipe.
- Place the tortillas onto a sprayed baking sheet in a single layer and bake them at 375 degrees F for 4-6 minutes, flip and cook them for 1-2 more minutes. Watch them so they don’t burn.
How to store air fryer tortilla chips
You can easily store these tortilla chips after they have cooled, in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 7 days. To get them nice and crispy again, heat them right in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 1-2 minutes.
More healthy snack recipes to try!
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Easy Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Crispy Baked Beet Chips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print