These super easy crispy air fryer sweet potato wedges are the best healthy way to enjoy sweet potatoes. Cooked completely in the air-fryer with no oil and only spices, salt and pepper. They get cooked to crispy perfection and will be the snack or side dish everyone will want to dig into. Vegan and gluten free.
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods that I always have in my pantry, whether they were on sale or I was gifted a large amount since everyone knows how much I just love them!
These healthy sweet potato wedges are a go-to side dish that I make a few times a week since they are super easy to make, are so freaking good, and my kids and my husband love them, which makes it simpler for me (the one who cooks for everyone, lol).
Every time I make them, which is a lot, I am amazed at how crispy they get with no oil at all. Now, I do use a good quality olive oil spray but I have also made these without it and they were still incredibly good.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that you do not need to pre-soak the potatoes in advance, which is a necessary step when cooking russet potatoes or other white potatoes. I have found that since sweet potatoes contain less starch, the soaking is not needed.
Why you will fall in love with this recipe
- It requires only a few ingredients.
- Sweet potatoes are packed with flavor and are also super nutritious.
- Cooking them in the air fryer is a 1-2 step process even my 8 year old can do.
- The ingredients are very inexpensive and available at almost any grocery store around.
- It’s the best healthy way to enjoy fries! Yippee!!!
- The best air fryer potato wedges!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
Are you ready, it’s super simple.
- Sweet potatoes
- Spices – I used chili powder, paprika, garlic powder
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
How To Cut Sweet Potatoes Into Wedges
- Scrub the potatoes really well and dry them with a clean kitchen towel.
- Use a sharp kitchen knife and slice each potato down the middle, lengthwise. Lay each half flat and slice through it lengthwise creating nice clean wedges. I cut mine into 1/4 inch thick wedges.
How To Make air fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Add the sweet potato wedges to a mixing bowl.
- Add the spices to a small bowl with some salt and pepper and mix them all up.
- Pour the spice mix onto the potatoes and toss them to coat them all really well.
4. Heat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, spray the basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking and toss in some of the potatoes in a single layer (you will need to do this in about 2 batches).
5. Close the basket and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, tossing them by shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time (at around 8 minutes). Continue until you have cooked all of the potatoes.
Serve warm with your favorite ketchup or dipping sauce.
Look at how crispy the edges get, omg!
How Long to cook sweet potato wedges in the air fryer
Okay, now this will depend on your preference (crispiness level) as well as the kind of air fryer you have.
If you prefer them super crispy and less soft then 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes will probably be your jam. Since air fryers vary, you really need to test it out but I would start with 390 degrees and go from there.
How to pick the best potatoes for making potato wedges
Like I said, I make these a lot, that is an understatement actually, ha ha. All kidding aside, I have found that the best size is a relatively smaller, round, less long sweet potato.
The sweet potatoes that come in the steamer bag you can buy in the produce section of most grocery stores are my go-to since they are the perfect size and the ones I used in this recipe.
Longer potatoes will still work but I like my wedges to be the length of a regular french fry so the short ones are the best in my opinion.
Can you make this recipe with other types of potatoes?
Potatoes are kind of funny when it comes to each variety and how to get them crispy in an air fryer. For this recipe, there is no need to soak the potatoes since sweet potatoes contain less starch and more sugar than white or even red potatoes. This makes it easier to get them nice and crispy without a lot of oil or pre-soaking.
If you are making this recipe with white potatoes (preferably russet or Yukon gold) then you will need to cut the potatoes into wedges and soak them in cold water for at least 25 minutes before cooking them.
Make sure to dry them on some clean paper towels then just follow this recipe to make them in the air fryer. You may need to cook them a little bit shorter or longer depending on how thick or thin you cut them.
- Select smaller, rounder, shorter sweet potatoes that are deeper orange in color with no black on the skin.
- Scrub the potatoes really well before cutting them into wedges. I like to scrub them with a produce brush under warm running water, then dry them on a clean kitchen towel.
- Slicing the potatoe into wedges is pretty easy to do but will be easier if you use a sharp kitchen knife. A dull or smaller knife will just make it harder to cut them.
- Read your air fryer manual and get to know your brand of air fryer before trying this recipe. I have been using mine everyday for a year so you could say I know it really well.
- I cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick wedges which was the perfect size and thickness for yielding crispy edged fries. Cutting them thinner will get even crispier fries and likely will not need to be cooked as long. Thicker wedges will need to be cooked longer until desired crispiness is achieved.
- To store these potatoes, you can let them cool, place them into an airtight container in the refrigerator and preheat them in the air fry at 350 degrees F for 4-6 minutes when ready to eat.
What to serve with sweet potato wedges
Other healthy air fryer recipes you may also enjoy
I hope you try this recipe. If you do then please leave a rating and comment below.Print