These Air Fryer Salmon Patties are made in 10 minutes thanks to the air fryer! Perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy and flavorful on the inside. Make them with fresh or canned salmon for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Air fryer salmon patties recipe
Delicious air fryer salmon patties have made me even more obsessed with my air fryer. It’s pretty amazing that you can take only a few simple ingredients and turn them into crispy golden salmon patties in 10 minutes!
One of the best parts about this salmon recipe is that you can take a shortcut and use canned salmon to make it. Although, I do think that they come out better with fresh salmon. But if you are in a pinch, the canned salmon works fine.
Another wonderful thing about this recipe is that these salmon cakes get crispy and delicious in the air fryer with much less oil in minutes! Which is why we just love the air fryer and how convenient it is with helping us cook air-fried foods with less oil.
Ingredients needed for salmon patties in the air fryer
- Salmon – You can use fresh or canned salmon in this recipe. I used fresh salmon but you can also use canned for a quick shortcut. You will need about 3, 6 ounce cans of salmon. See notes below on making this recipe with canned salmon.
- Egg – the egg is essential for helping bind all of the ingredients together
- Breadcrumbs – you can use any type of breadcrumbs in this recipe, gluten free will even work.
- Avocado mayo – this gives the salmon a nice creamy flavor
- Dijon Mustard – you can use gluten free or even stone-ground mustard in this recipe
- Lemon juice – this gives the salmon a nice fresh flavor
- Dill – I used fresh dill but dried dill also works well in this recipe
- Salt & pepper – to enhance all of the wonderful flavors
- Olive oil spray– to add a nice crispiness to the salmon patties
- Fennel slaw – for servings
**Make sure to check out the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients with measurements and recipe instructions.
How to make salmon patties in the air fryer
Here are the step by step instructions with photos on how to make this recipe.
- Grind up the salmon by placing it into a food processor, then just pulse it a few times to break it down. Make sure to remove the skin first. Skip this step if using canned salmon.
- Make the salmon patty mixture. Combine the ground salmon with the rest of the ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Form the patties. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to form the mixture into 4 even size round patties and place them onto a clean plate. About 1 inch thick is good for the patties.
- Cook. Place the salmon patties into the air fryer and cook them for 8 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Make the fennel slaw and set aside.
- Serve. Layer some of the slaw onto a plate and place one of the salmon patties on top of the coleslaw. Top the salmon with a little plain Greek yogurt, squeeze of lemon, some chopped dill and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Yum!
Serving air fryer salmon patties
This recipe is already a complete meal if you pair the salmon cakes with the fennel apple slaw but here are a few other recipes that would also go great with this recipe.
Make ahead instructions
These salmon patties can easily be made ahead of time.
To make them ahead:
- Form the salmon patty mixture into patties.
- Place them onto a plate, cover them with plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking them.
- Remove the salmon patties from the refrigerator and cook as instructed in the recipe.
Note: You can also chill just the mixture for up to 24 hours and then form the patties and cook them.
Can you use canned salmon to make air fryer salmon patties?
Yes you can absolutely use canned salmon in this recipe. You will need about 3(6 ounce) cans of salmon.
To make this recipe using canned salmon:
- Combine all of the salmon patty ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix and form the salmon into even size patties, about 1/2 cup each.
- Cook in the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 6-7 minutes.
- Serve with fennel slaw or your favorite healthy side dish.
Do I need to remove the skin before using the salmon?
If you are using fresh, raw salmon then you definitely want to remove the skin first. You can also have them do this when you buy it at most grocery stores or just use skinless salmon filets. To remove the skin yourself, lay the salmon skin side up on a flat surface then run a sharp knife along the part where the skin meets the flesh of the salmon and carefully pull it away from the flesh.
How do I keep the salmon Patties from falling apart?
Here are a few tips for ensuring the salmon patties do not fall apart.
- Make sure the mixture isn’t too wet. If it looks wet then add some more breadcrumbs about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Use wet hands to form the patties. This will help them form better.
- You can place the formed patties in the freezer on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes before you cook them to help them hold their shape and not fall apart.
- To form the patties, measure about 1/2 cup of the mixture then squeeze and form it into a ball and then form it into a patty that is about 1-inch thick.
Can I freeze these salmon patties?
Yes! You can actually make these salmon patties and freeze them for up to one month.
To freeze salmon patties
- Form the patties and place them onto a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
- Then remove them and place each patty in between wax or parchment paper and store them in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for up to one month.
How do you cook frozen salmon patties in the air fryer?
- When you are ready to cook them, remove them from the freezer, preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the frozen salmon patties into the air fryer basket.
- Cook them for 8 minutes. Flip and spray each patty with olive oil spray halfway through the cooking time.
Storing and reheating salmon patties
To store these salmon patties, let them cool completely after cooking, then place them into an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
More healthy salmon recipes to try
- Quick and Easy Salmon Salad
- Easy Salmon Tacos
- Sheet Pan Salmon with Green Beans and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Cajun Salmon
- Grilled Salmon Kabobs – Simply Whisked
- Air Fryer Salmon
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out! You can also tag me on social @pinchmegoodfood.Print