Air Fryer Salmon Patties are a quick and easy healthy meal you can make in minutes. They come out perfectly crispy and golden every time and are so delicious paired with a creamy apple fennel slaw.
The air fryer has been my go-to cooking tool for cooking healthier recipes using less oil, so I can cut down on the fat and calories. I have made so many delicious recipes from Easy Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast to Air Fryer Carrots Fries and now these crazy good salmon patties.
I paired these salmon patties with a homemade apple fennel Coleslaw that goes so perfectly with this recipe. You can easily whip it up while the salmon patties are cooking. How great is that?
Why you will just love this recipe
- It is both easy and healthy
- A quick and easy way to cook salmon in less than 10 minutes
- Pairs so well with a healthy Cole slaw
- Great for meal prep!
- Packed with flavor
- Crispy on the outside and so tender and juicy on the inside.
This recipe is so simple and easy that even my husband, who is not much of a cook, could actually make this, haha.
Can you use canned salmon to make air fryer salmon patties?
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can take a shortcut and use canned salmon. Although, I really think they come out best with fresh salmon. No shame in taking shortcuts though. See recipe notes below for how to use canned salmon in this recipe.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make air fryer salmon patties
- Prep the salmon. It is important to make sure the skin is cut off of the salmon. See notes below on how to do this yourself or you can ask for it to be removed when you buy it. Then, cut the salmon into chunks and place it into the food processor and pulse it a few times to break it down into smaller pieces that look a little larger than ground meat.
- Make the patty mixture. Add the salmon to a large bowl with the rest of the salmon patty ingredients and combine them all together into a thick but slightly wet mixture.
- Form the patties. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to form the mixture into 4 even size round patties and place them onto a clean plate.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and carefully place the burgers into the air fryer far enough apart so they are not touching. Then spray each patty with more olive oil spray. Close the air fryer basket and cook at 390 degrees F for 8 minutes, flipping them over and spraying them with more olive oil spray halfway through the cooking time.
- Make the slaw. Add the sliced fennel, cabbage, apple, onion and dill to a medium size bowl. Mix up the dressing and pour it all over the slaw mixture. Toss well to coat everything in the dressing and top with more chopped dill.
- Serve. Layer some of the Coleslaw onto a plate and place one of the salmon patties on top of the coleslaw. Top the salmon with a little plain Greek yogurt, squeeze of lemon, some chopped dill and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Yum!
Make ahead instructions
These salmon patties can easily be made ahead of time. To make them ahead, form them into patties, place them onto a plate, cover them with plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking them.
You can also chill just the mixture for up to 24 hours and then form the patties and cook them.
Can you freeze these salmon patties?
Yes! You can can actually make these salmon patties and freeze them for up to a month. To freeze them, form the patties and place them in between wax or parchment paper and store them in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for up to a month.
When you are ready to cook them, remove them from the freezer, preheat the air fryer, spray the air fryer basket, place the frozen salmon patties into the air fryer basket and cook them for 8 minutes. Flip and spray each patty with olive oil spray half way through the cooking time.
This recipe is already a complete meal if you pair the salmon with the fennel apple slaw but here are a few other recipes that would also go great with these salmon patties.
- Top them with some Spicy Mango Salsa
- Enjoy them with some delicious Baked Eggplant Fries
- Have them on top of some Simple Sautéed Spinach with Garlic
- Eat them as a burger with some Crispy Sweet Potato Fries on the side
More easy healthy air fryer recipes to try
- Crispy Breaded Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Easy 15 Minute Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Low Carb Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- 10 Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs
Recipe Tips for making air fryer salmon patties
- If you are using fresh salmon then make sure it doesn’t have the skin on it. You can either ask the Fish Monger at the fish counter at your grocery store to remove it for you or you can do it yourself. To cut the skin off of salmon yourself, simply lay the salmon on a flat surface skin side up and while pulling the skin towards you, use a sharp knife to slice the skin away from the flesh of the fish while you are pulling the skin. This took me all of 3 minutes to do.
- To use canned salmon in this recipe you want to buy a good quality wild caught canned salmon. You will need about a 12oz. Then you will need to open the can, drain the liquid from it, remove any visible bones and then mash it up in a bowl with a fork. No need to pulse it in the food processor. Then follow the rest of the recipe.
- For easier clean up you can use an air fryer liner. I really like the parchment paper ones.
- How to pick good fennel. You want to look for fennel that has dark green, long branches with a bright light green bulb that is free of dark spots and indentations.
- You can buy pre-sliced fennel at most grocery stores. If you want to buy it and cut it yourself then check out this post on how to cut fennel.
- To store these salmon patties, let them cool completely after cooking, then place them into an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan on the stove or in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print