Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
These crispy baked beet chips make the perfect healthy snack or side dish that everyone will love! You can make a large batch and enjoy them for days. Lightly seasoned with salt and a little oil and baked until crispy and golden. They are vegan, gluten free and so delicious!
Making your own beet chips at home is so easy to do and they are way better for you than store-bought veggie chips. My family loves these almost as much as these Sweet Potato Chips that are also so addicting and healthy.
Why you will love this recipe
- A healthy, easy snack – made from veggies with lots of nutrition
- Gluten Free
- Crispy and packed with great flavor
- Perfect side dish or healthy appetizer
Best type of beets for making beet chips
Any beets will work but red or golden beets work best since they are accessible, easy to slice and are loaded with flavor. You want to try to select beets that are even in size so they cook at the same time, although some of the chips will cook faster than others.
Expert Tip: Beets have an intense color to them that can stain your hands or a wooden cutting board. So you want to make sure to use gloves and a non-wooden cutting board when you are preparing the beets.
Are beet chips healthy?
Yes!!! They are anti-inflammatory, packed full of nutrition, and are low in fat and calories. Plus beets are available to buy all year round even though their peak season is June through October.
The bright red color of beets, signifies all of the nutrients they contain. The more colorful vegetables and fruits are the more nutritious they are, which is why the saying goes “eat the rainbow”.
Read more about the nutrition in beets here.
Beets are one of the healthiest superfoods and contain a lot of nutrition like:
- Vitamin B-6 and C
Ingredients you will need
- Beets – They are so delicious, very inexpensive, and are so easy to cook. Don’t be intimidated by the long leafy stems. You can cut them off and use them as salad greens or chop them up and saute them in some garlic and olive oil.
- Olive oil or olive oil spray – This will help the seasoning stick to the beets and make them nice and crispy.
- Salt and pepper – Will help bring out the natural flavors of the beets as the cook.
How to make homemade Beet Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Cut the leafy green ends off of the beets and save them for sautéing or adding to stir fry.
- Wash the beets well under warm or cool water. I like to use a produce scrubber to get excess dirt off as well.
- Slice the beets using a mandolin or a sharp kitchen knife. You want to make sure to cut them into even sizes and thickness. I went for about 1/16th inch thick. They should curl up a little after you slice them.
- Pat the beets lightly with a paper towel to remove excess moisture, sprinkle them with a little salt, toss and let them sit for about 10 minutes. This will allow even more moisture to release from the beets, which will result in super crispy chips.
- Place the sliced beets into a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil and season them with some salt and pepper. Toss to coat them in the oil and seasoning.
- Then, place them onto the baking sheets in a single layer. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Expert Tip: I like to separate the different colored beets on the baking sheets so the colors do not run together. See photos below.
How easy is that? Look at how incredibly crispy they get? So good!
Serve warm and enjoy!!!!
I love chips of any kind but these crispy baked sweet potato fries are also so incredible an easy way to eat more veggies. Plus, who doesn’t love chips and fries, right!
Why do beet chips cook at different times?
Since beets can range in both size and shape, it will be difficult to cut them into chips that are exactly the same size. This will result in some cooking faster than others. This is why it will be important to check the chips while they are cooking and remove the ones that are done, while the others continue to cook.
Expert Tip: If you place the cooked beets onto a paper towel lined plate to cool after they cook then they will crisp up even more.
Substitutions and variations
- If you don’t have beets, then turnips also work great in this recipe.
- You can use all red beets, all golden beets or a combination of both like I used in this recipe.
- You can add additional seasoning to the beets like thyme, rosemary or chives. After they cook, a little sprinkle of orange or lemon are nice flavors that go well with beets.
- To reduce the oil in this recipe, use olive oil spray. They will still get crispy and be delicious!
How do you store beet chips?
These are best if eaten right away but you can also store them in an airtight container for up to one day. They will likely lose some crispiness but will still be a really good healthy snack.
What temperature is best for cooking beet chips?
Cooking these at a higher temperature helps them keep their size and shape and not shrink too much. I cooked them at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes and they came out perfect.
What seasoning works best when cooking beets?
I seasoned these with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper but you could also season them with a sprinkle of rosemary or thyme as well for even more flavor.
Do you have to peel beets to make beet chips?
You can leave the skin on or peel the beets. Both work well, so it’s really up to you! I like to leave the skin on since it is less work.
Can you make homemade beet chips in the air fryer?
Yes! To make these in these in the air fryer: prepare and season the beets as noted in the recipe, place into the air fryer basket in a single layer, cook at 320 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over a couple of times so they get nice and crispy. Spraying the air fryer basket with a little olive oil spray will also help the beets get nice and crispy and prevent them from sticking to the air fryer.
More healthy beet recipes
- Easy Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
- Oven Roasted Beets
- Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
- Simple Beet Pesto
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out!
This post and recipe have been updated with new photos and improved recipe instructions.Print
Healthy Baked Beet Chips
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
Easy, healthy crispy baked beet chips. Slightly sweet and crunchy with a hint of sea salt and black pepper. The perfect guilt-free snack everyone with love! Vegan, gluten free and so delicious!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut off the greens and roots of the beets and save the greens for salads and stir-fry.
- Scrub and rinse the beets to get all of the dirt off. I like to run them under cool water and use a vegetable scrubber to scrub the dirt off of them. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, carefully slice the beets relatively thin like chips, about 1/16th of an inch thick. They should curl up slightly when you cut them.
- Lightly pat the beets with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle them with a little salt and let them sit for about 10 minutes to remove more moisture. Then place them into a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and toss to coat them all.
- Place them in a single layer onto a couple of a baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Make sure the beets are not overlapping. You will need to use more than one sheet pan for this recipe and cook the beets in a couple of batches. I used two sheet pans for 4-5 sliced beets.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes until super crispy. Watch them so they don’t burn. Check the beet chips while they are cooking and make sure to remove any that are done and place them onto a paper towel lined plate or pan to cool. Allow the rest of the beets to cook and then cool as noted for extra crispy chips.
- Remove, serve warm, and enjoy!
- You can use golden beets or even turnips for this recipe. Turnips take less time to cook, so make sure to watch them, so they don’t burn.
- These beet chips are best if eaten right after they have been cooked and cooled but they can be stored in a ziplock bag or airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 day!
- To make these in the air fryer. Season as noted in the recipe. Place into a single layer in the air fryer basket, cook at 320 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over a couple of times so they get nice and crispy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beets, beet chip, veggie chip recipe, healthy beet recipes
Danny R Webb
I followed the recipe and instructions to the letter and mine turned out horrible! After baking at 375 for 20 minutes, they were still very soft. I baked them another 10 minutes with no change, 10 more for a total of 40 minutes and they were not at all crisp. I patted them dry and left them between paper towels and put them back in the cooling oven hoping that they would dry out. After 1 1/2 hours, they were still soft and mushy. What could I have done wrong?
Hi Danny, I am not sure what happened and I am so sorry to hear yours did not turn out well. A few things it could have been are maybe the beet chips were too thick or the oven could possibly not be the right temperature since ovens can vary. You could try cutting the beets to 1/16th of an inch thick and raising the oven temperature to 400 degrees F, which will likely work if you try this recipe again. Also, try putting the beet chips ontop of a rack on the baking sheet.
I made these with golden beets yesterday, and they were even better! My kids snacked on the red beet chips all throughout the day, but when I made them with golden beets, they are them all in one go, right off the cookie sheet! Even my picky youngest child couldn’t get enough and was grabbing handfuls to hoard from her sisters. Thank you for a simple yet delicious recipe!
Hi Alisa, Thank you for your comment. I am so happy you and your kids loved these. My kids love them as well.
Can these be made in an air fryer? What would suggested temp and time be?
Hi Shan, yes you can cook them in the air fryer! Place into a single layer in the air fryer basket, cook at 320 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over a couple of times so they get nice and crispy. I will add this to the recipe notes. Thank you so much for asking!
What is “fries right”?
Or did you just forget the comma?
Hi Jenn! Yes, looks like I forgot the comma. Thank you for letting me know. I will update it.
I know fresh beets are better but can I use canned beets for the chips?
Hi Celeste, I haven’t tried using canned beets but I would think the chips wouldn’t crisp up since canned beets have more moisture.
Turned out great,will def try again.Tha nks for this simple yet delicious recipe